Living without rental cost

Hi
I'm trying to work out the practicality of moving to Vietnam. Of course I would rent first to establish exactly where I would like to live, but that aside.
I'm in my 50's with years of work experience but know diploma.

If I purchased a flat/house outright, that would clearly reduce my monthly outgoing, but I would like to get work to cover basic living expenses. Is this possible?

Hope you can provide some guidance/reality.

thanks

Most people rent because of 1) limitations on foreign ownership, the details of which will hopefully be provided by another forum member who is knowledgeable regarding this, and 2) the freedom and convenience of being able to move to another apartment, neighborhood, city, or country.

You may want to live in Ha Noi now, it's quite possible that you may change your mind sometime during the rest of your life.

In addition, rents in VN are generally quite affordable although I believe that Ha Noi probably has some of the highest in the country.  Now, it's definitely a renter's market.

While it's possible to find employment, again the legal issues can be perplexing. Demand for English teachers is high, but most of the work involves keeping young children happy, and the whole industry is somewhat dodgy throughout the region.

Have a look at other sections of this website for more info:

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/asia/vietnam/hanoi/https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/vietnam/hanoi/https://www.expat.com/en/destination/as … nam/hanoi/https://www.expat.com/en/guide/asia/vietnam/

JohnRoss
thanks for the advice.

I believe it would be great if you can make an investment and buy your property in Vietnam.  There are new constructions where foreigners can own their place. 
Good luck to you

DMUNL08 wrote:

I believe it would be great if you can make an investment and buy your property in Vietnam.  There are new constructions where foreigners can own their place. 
Good luck to you

IN HCMC & suburbs

Just dont be surprised by what it costs to buy here, the poor quality of finish & the absolute shite these agents throw at you.

I went to see an apartment project the other day & part of the miniature moc up display was a station with a metro train in it right beside the proposed development.
I asked (jokingly) oh that must be metro phase 3 is it & when do you think that will be completed. He replied with a straight face........2 years. I just about fell on the floor laughing. Phase 1 has taken 10 years or so, phase 2 out to where I live now is not even started too.....well the end depot has been built for 2 years but the rail hasent even started yet so god only knows when phase 3 will be started let alone completed, best guess would be 15 years at best.

Another one out Binh Duong beside the golf course, absolutely beautiful moc up display with beautiful gardens & recreational area looking onto the golf course.
I said I just loved it & if I buy I cant wait to walk round these gardens every morning. Ah the agent said, you cant do that, its private. Oh I said would I have to pay to get in. No she said you cant get in there its a private development not part of the apartment block & a different developer & not started to yet. But I said you are showing it as part of this development & showing photos on the internet same. She just smiled.

SO REMEMBER.........what you see is not always what you get!!

As far as a house is concerned I dont know any foreigners who have managed to buy a house here in their name but remember on an apartment its a 50 year lease not outright buy unless something has change that I dont know about.

Goodolboy
Thanks very much for your insight. It certainly will prompt more detailed investigation in to any potential property buy.

thanks

JohnT101 wrote:

Goodolboy
Thanks very much for your insight. It certainly will prompt more detailed investigation in to any potential property buy.

thanks

get a lawyer, thats what I did eventually, money well spent,  its a mine field out there believe me!
Oh & forgot to mention, 2 things
If you can get a new bank account here these days (think you might need a TRC) & if you do go the buying rout, make sure you bring the money in through an international bank fully traceable to source, that way you might just might be able to get the money out of the country if for example you dont like it here after a few years.

DMUNL08 wrote:

Good luck to you

not own, 50 year lease hold.

goodolboy wrote:
JohnT101 wrote:

Goodolboy

thanks

get a lawyer, thats what I did eventually, money well spent,  its a mine field out there believe me!
Oh & forgot to mention, 2 things
If you can get a new bank account here these days (think you might need a TRC) & if you do go the buying rout, make sure you bring the money in through an international bank fully traceable to source, that way you might just might be able to get the money out of the country if for example you dont like it here after a few years.

Thats correct. Seeing as discrimination is rampant in Vietnam, we expats must show a money trail if we want to send money back out, but locals dont.

Goodolboy and Colinoscapee, thanks so much for your valuable inputs. I am trying to be positive about this topic.  I did a lot of research before buying in Hanoi. You guys are correct. I will have rights on the property for  50 years only. 
I opened two bank accounts in Vietnam, where I had to sign the U.S. taxpayer report.  100 % of the funds are fully traceable and linked to the property that I bought in Hanoi by the U.S., Singapore, Vietnam banks. Also, TransferWise requested a bunch of information, which makes total sense to me. Safe and secure purchased from my side.
One curious note. Both Vietnamese banks, the ones I used for the local's transfers, requested me to bring the apartment property books accompanied by the Vinhomes real state agent
The next chapter to find a reliable property management company in case I need to rent in the future since I am not sure how long I will stay here.

DMUNL08 wrote:

The next chapter to find a reliable property management company in case I need to rent in the future since I am not sure how long I will stay here.

A little simple math will probably show you that the ratio of rental income to purchase price is exceptionally low.  This is why many expats who could buy apartments choose to continue to rent.

THIGV wrote:
DMUNL08 wrote:

A little simple math will probably show you that the ratio of rental income to purchase price is exceptionally low.  This is why many expats who could buy apartments choose to continue to rent.

well I for one disagree with this statement & have posted on this before from my first hand experience.

I paid 1.75 bil vnd off plan step payments for our first apartment Phuc Yen 2 & moved in 2015

I paid 1.85 bil vnd for our second apartment Phuc Yen 2 round about june 2016 & it was rented out from day 1 at 12million per month. Taking into agents fee its actually 11 months rent per year we got not 12.

My "wife" and I separated round about mid 2017 & she rented out the first apartment from then on for again 12 milion per month but same deal we actually got 11 months rent.

My ex "wife" by this time sold both properties late last year & got 2.1 billion for each of them. In that time we had spent very little in upkeep & the renters paid the management fee, electric etc.

So by using simple math I disagree that the rental to purchase price is exceptionally low here. In my opinion it was an excellent investment ......well for Thanh it was cos I saw none of it. The rental money she used as house keeping money, to keep me in food & beer & I never had to buy any extras like cloths etc,  the sale money she got to keep & we are still good friends & keep in touch regularly so after 8 years + together she deserved to keep the sales price.

Exact dates for all this are foggy with age but are near as damn it.

The decision to invest in real estate is a personal choice based on the pocketbook, risk tolerance, goals, and investment style. I think investing here may create a passive income stream and the potential for substantial appreciation over time, plus LIVING WITHOUT RENTAL COST and having a sense of ownership.

About Little simple Math: Vietnam offers one of the highest yields in the region, that equals to a rental yield of almost 10%, in addition to that prices have increased with double digits year-on-year, and the city will further expand with the new MTR, opening up for even more investment opportunities.

DMUNL08 wrote:

The decision to invest in real estate is a personal choice based on the pocketbook, risk tolerance, goals, and investment style. I think investing here may create a passive income stream and the potential for substantial appreciation over time, plus LIVING WITHOUT RENTAL COST and having a sense of ownership.

About Little simple Math: Vietnam offers one of the highest yields in the region, that equals to a rental yield of almost 10%, in addition to that prices have increased with double digits year-on-year, and the city will further expand with the new MTR, opening up for even more investment opportunities.

Vietnam has a net rental yield of around 5.5%, not sure where you got the 10% from.

DMUNL08 wrote:

😀

https://www.asiapropertyhq.com/vietnam-rental-yields/

Our rental property is worth 4 billion, we pay 7 million a month, which is a return of around 2%. Mind you, this is in Vung Tau, the major cities can be slighty higher.

colinoscapee wrote:

Our rental property is worth 4 billion, we pay 7 million a month, which is a return of around 2%. Mind you, this is in Vung Tau, the major cities can be slighty higher.

Well Colin, my ex landlady & her husband have 4 apartments now at 8x Plus & are still my best Vietnamese friends here (not that I have many)

She bought the apartment that I rented there off plan & finished payments  round about 2017 ish I think & she paid a total of 800,000,000vnd for it (yes 800 thats what she told me) I paid 8 million a month for the place, fully furnished, not high end by any means but nice & not one thing to buy.

She has just bought her 4th apartment there last month & she recons she got a bargain at 1.4 billion & has it rented out now for 8,500,000 a month & thats what she gets for all 4 now. She does not need to use an agent so pockets all the rent & apartments in this area Q12 HCMC are much in demand even now with Vietnamese & foreigners working in the export business clothes etc (see a lot of Indians) Not many Westerners but still have a few.

so taking her last purchase 1.4 bil, add on say 100mil to kit out & a rent of 8.5mil x 12 she is getting a return of about 6.5% .......right?? & I dont even have to work out her property bought for 800,000,000 & getting 8.5 mil a month she is doing pretty good I'd say not even taking into account her appreciation on the apartment value. :top: wish I could hit on investments like that, certainly not getting returns like that on me goodolboy pensions!! :sosad:

Hard sums were never my field of expertise so if I got the % wrong I am sure someone will be happy to correct me :lol:

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Well Colin, my ex landlady & her husband have 4 apartments now at 8x Plus & are still my best Vietnamese friends here (not that I have many)

She bought the apartment that I rented there off plan & finished payments  round about 2017 ish I think & she paid a total of 800,000,000vnd for it (yes 800 thats what she told me) I paid 8 million a month for the place, fully furnished, not high end by any means but nice & not one thing to buy.

She has just bought her 4th apartment there last month & she recons she got a bargain at 1.4 billion & has it rented out now for 8,500,000 a month & thats what she gets for all 4 now. She does not need to use an agent so pockets all the rent & apartments in this area Q12 HCMC are much in demand even now with Vietnamese & foreigners working in the export business clothes etc (see a lot of Indians) Not many Westerners but still have a few.

so taking her last purchase 1.4 bil, add on say 100mil to kit out & a rent of 8.5mil x 12 she is getting a return of about 6.5% .......right?? & I dont even have to work out her property bought for 800,000,000 & getting 8.5 mil a month she is doing pretty good I'd say not even taking into account her appreciation on the apartment value. :top: wish I could hit on investments like that, certainly not getting returns like that on me goodolboy pensions!! :sosad:

Hard sums were never my field of expertise so if I got the % wrong I am sure someone will be happy to correct me :lol:

I think there are many variables, she is VN and knows the market well, also most expats dont want to live in D12 . The return she is getting is very good, you would need to spend around double that in most areas. Try finding an apartment for 1.4 billion in areas like D2 where most expats want to live.

My brothers gf paid 2.5 billion and gets 10 million in D9, not an investment most expats would be interested in. Living in the property is a very different scenario and the capital growth can be very good in some areas.

The 10% return quoted by another poster is most probably the return quoted by the selling agent.

I think part of the risk/reward has been referenced several times above - buying off plan.  Yes, there can be more appreciation but there is also more risk.  Especially lately there have been a lot more properties where the owners never got the book.  If someone buys second hand the appreciation is taken by the off-plan buyer and the second owner is capitalized at 2.5B instead of 1.4B and still getting the same 10M rent.

Maybe back a few years whn goodolboy and some others purchased it was a bit safer but for me I wouldn't personally risk buying off plan today.

Thats why we buy land, less risk, no tenants and no ongoing fees.

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I think there are many variables, she is VN and knows the market well, also most expats dont want to live in D12 . The return she is getting is very good, you would need to spend around double that in most areas. Try finding an apartment for 1.4 billion in areas like D2 where most expats want to live.

My brothers gf paid 2.5 billion and gets 10 million in D9, not an investment most expats would be interested in. Living in the property is a very different scenario and the capital growth can be very good in some areas.

The 10% return quoted by another poster is most probably the return quoted by the selling agent.

Totally agree, with your summery. I have watched many posts on the subject of rents vs buy & how property investments here are not good for ex pats & in my opinion you have to differentiate between districts because not all are the same for sure.

Drifting off a bit here but going back to around 2009 I quite fancied buying a place in Vung Tau, & went with Thanh to look at some but even back then the price was a shock to my system what you got for the money!!
Mind you I was living in our first house at Trang Bang then & had it built & furnished for 30k usd :D

SteinNebraska wrote:

I think part of the risk/reward has been referenced several times above - buying off plan.  Yes, there can be more appreciation but there is also more risk.  Especially lately there have been a lot more properties where the owners never got the book.  If someone buys second hand the appreciation is taken by the off-plan buyer and the second owner is capitalized at 2.5B instead of 1.4B and still getting the same 10M rent.

Maybe back a few years whn goodolboy and some others purchased it was a bit safer but for me I wouldn't personally risk buying off plan today.

Thing is as far as I can see or experience, the Vietnamese dont seem to bother about the Red book. I know for a fact that in 8X Plus no Red books have been issued & here where I live no Red books yet but the apartments buy & sell at 8x & here regularly!

My friend and I discussed this the other day and if it is strictly for investment purposes - meaning you don't intend to live in any of them at all - it would probably be better in the long run to buy three different apartments at 1.5B off the plan than it would be to buy one 4.5B house.  This way even if one completely dies the other two SHOULD at least get you back to the 4.5B in a couple of years.  If all three go through, great.  You make 30% in a couple of years.  If one dies you break even.  The question is how much would that one 4.5B house get you?

My wife sold her house in Binh Tan a couple of months ago.  Bought for 2B two years ago, sold for 2.7.  Didn't do a single thing to it.  And it was tiny - 4x10 m land, one room main floor with bath, two BR and bath up.  And, it was in a 1.2m wide alley.  I just shake my head when I see these prices.

Now we are looking for a 200-300 M lot to build.  Forget in the city.  Near me in An Phu they are asking 25Billion for a 100-150 meter lot!  Even out in Lai Thieu we are still over 6B just for land.

colinoscapee wrote:

I want to keep buying here in hometown.  (we are here for the weekend)  Wife wants to live in the city.  For a country boy like me it's pretty simple - buy large parcels at 50,000 per meter out here like I did six months ago or 25,000,000 per meter to buy a postage stamp in the city.

But I know I'm going to lose that battle. LOL  All she wants is one house in the city.  After that she doesn't care what I do with my money.

SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I want to keep buying here in hometown.  (we are here for the weekend)  Wife wants to live in the city.  For a country boy like me it's pretty simple - buy large parcels at 50,000 per meter out here like I did six months ago or 25,000,000 per meter to buy a postage stamp in the city.

But I know I'm going to lose that battle. LOL  All she wants is one house in the city.  After that she doesn't care what I do with my money.

My father-in-law bought a 12 hectare(25 acre) block near Binh Chau, Ba Ria Vung Tau in 1995. He paid 42usd a hectare, total cost 500usd. Today the going price is 400k per hectare. Sadly he sold most of it to survive.

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Totally agree, with your summery. I have watched many posts on the subject of rents vs buy & how property investments here are not good for ex pats & in my opinion you have to differentiate between districts because not all are the same for sure.

Drifting off a bit here but going back to around 2009 I quite fancied buying a place in Vung Tau, & went with Thanh to look at some but even back then the price was a shock to my system what you got for the money!!
Mind you I was living in our first house at Trang Bang then & had it built & furnished for 30k usd :D

Yeah VT is expensive, being the wealthiest provence it shows in its property prices.

colinoscapee wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

My father-in-law bought a 12 hectare(25 acre) block near Binh Chau, Ba Ria Vung Tau in 1995. He paid 42usd a hectare, total cost 500usd. Today the going price is 400k per hectare. Sadly he sold most of it to survive.

Similar to my wife's family.  They had a good large farm near Bien Hoa that they finally had to sell to pay debts from trying to make a living farming.  This was about 18-20 years ago.  They came out here with no debt but very little money but it was enough to buy another farm and start over.  If they had that Dong Nai farm today they would be well off.

It is all relative.  Even here where we can buy for 50,000 per meter my Wife said 5 years ago it was less than 10,000.

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Yeah VT is expensive, being the wealthiest provence it shows in its property prices.

What I could never come to terms with was that the average wage at that time was less than 100usd a month  in 2009 probably a lot less & yet the prices in Vung Tau taking that into consideration were astronomical almost as much as the average UK. Even now I just cant get to grips with the prices in some places, like a million USD & up is pretty average in some of these gated places here even in the suburbs & dont even mention Da Lat, thought I fancied moving there but after looking I had to take a reality pill.

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

What I could never come to terms with was that the average wage at that time was less than 100usd a month  in 2009 probably a lot less & yet the prices in Vung Tau taking that into consideration were astronomical almost as much as the average UK. Even now I just cant get to grips with the prices in some places, like a million USD & up is pretty average in some of these gated places here even in the suburbs & dont even mention Da Lat, thought I fancied moving there but after looking I had to take a reality pill.

Yeah, it's pretty mindnumbing when you see land and house prices in the cities. These prices cant be maintained in the years to come, surely!

Interesting.

Foreign ownership

If you take the 2% foreign ownership admitted to in the article and add in another at least 3% hidden ownership by Viet Kieu buying through relatives you are up to 5% minimally.  There is no way this would not have a negative impact on local people, particularly first time buyers.  The article reads like a press release by one of the big real estate developers mentioned therein.

I must admit that I pretty much pulled the 3% figure out of my  nether regions, but ask around with people you know.  How many have relatives in the US or AU who are sending money or who sent money specifically for this purpose?  Some of the biggest homes in any neighborhood have a foreign relative behind them.  I believe the impact on the market is substantial.

THIGV wrote:

If you take the 2% foreign ownership admitted to in the article and add in another at least 3% hidden ownership by Viet Kieu buying through relatives you are up to 5% minimally.  There is no way this would not have a negative impact on local people, particularly first time buyers.  The article reads like a press release by one of the big real estate developers mentioned therein.

The article stated it was higher end properties, I doubt first home buyers are buying 6 ty  vnd apartments in Thao Dien.

True but the price factors ripple down and interact.  High, middle and low end real estate don't operate in pricing silos.

Same in most countries.

There is an option which I have learned to appreciate and share: rent a hotel room by the month! Here in THC, Thanh Hoa City, I found a new hotel asking 6 million a month. Check out any time you want, @ 200 k a night. No bills, wifi, even a balcony large enough to bask in the sun. American movie and sports channels. Big Japanese TV.

Why sign a contract, usally locking you in for months?!?

Friends showed me a good value NHA NGHI (?) @ 250 k, near MY DINH.
Post Covid, the market has changed dramatically, JMHO.

KruChris wrote:

There is an option which I have learned to appreciate and share: rent a hotel room by the month! Here in THC, Thanh Hoa City, I found a new hotel asking 6 million a month. Check out any time you want, @ 200 k a night. No bills, wifi, even a balcony large enough to bask in the sun. American movie and sports channels. Big Japanese TV.

Check out the bed sheets & mattress for wet stains before checking into a NHA NGHI (love hotel/short time hotel) mind you it can be an interesting experience. We lived there for a year!!  I paid to build one & ex wife owns it. Very unusual to have long term "guests" mostly its by the hour & the standards reflect this.

https://i.postimg.cc/XpJwD2rN/Nha-Nghi.png

goodolboy wrote:
KruChris wrote:

Check out the bed sheets & mattress for wet stains before checking into a NHA NGHI (love hotel/short time hotel) mind you it can be an interesting experience. We lived there for a year!!  I paid to build one & ex wife owns it. Very unusual to have long term "guests" mostly its by the hour & the standards reflect this.

Would your ex-wifes name be Lan.

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
KruChris wrote:

:lol::lol: no thats the sign writers version of Alan & could not be arsed getting it changed, just hassle, her name is Thanh :top:  so it should have read Alan Thanh NHA NGHI. What stories I could tell after living in that place........all part of life's adventure!

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

:lol::lol: no thats the sign writers version of Alan & could not be arsed getting it changed, just hassle, her name is Thanh :top:  so it should have read Alan Thanh NHA NGHI. What stories I could tell after living in that place........all part of life's adventure!

Yeah lots of people meeting up for one hour television viewing.

I used to stay at a nha nghi in Binh Long, Binh Phuoc, the buggers were rocking up at 8am for a bit of rumpy-pumpy. So much for the sweet innocent country girls.