Moving to Cairo in August. :-)

Greetings!
My husband and I are moving to Cairo in August. He's a graduate student at AUC and I just accepted a teaching position in Heliopolis. We'll be looking for an apartment soon, and I would greatly appreciate recommendations as to where we should live. I understand that Heliopolis and New Cairo are near one another. I suggested to my husband that we live in Heliopolis-- it seems that would be most practical being close to both my work and his school. But, he currently lives in Zamelek and believes I will be more comfortable there—due to a larger expat community. Are there any expats who could share their experiences living in either of these districts?
Thanks. :-)

Hi :) I live in heliopolis and I really like it there. It's a safe area with elegant buildings and history, with shops, sports clubs and quite a few expats. However I do normally go out in Zamalek as there are more bars and fresher air there, it's one of my favourite districts and I know most expats favour there or Maadi. One thing I would advise is if you have to commute five times a week try to minimise the distance as Cairo traffic is crazy! Heliopolis to new Cairo isn't too far. Traffic in Zamalek is usually very bad and to commute to Heliopolis would take maybe an hour on average.
Does that help at all? :)
Elaine

It does! Thank you very much. :)

Hi American_Girl and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will be able to help you and share their experiences with you, just like Elaine.

All the best,
Harmonie.

Welcome to Cairo, Ur husband is a wise man to favor Zamalek as u said

American_Girl wrote:

he currently lives in Zamelek and believes I will be more comfortable there—due to a larger expat community.

but the only concern is the distance and traffic (u need to think about it much and much).
good luck

Thank you for all the advice! We have decided to live in Heliopolis, as it will be close to my job and will not require travel though downtown Cairo.

@ Mohamed: I appreciate the offer, but my husband has a friend who is a real estate agent whom he is currently working with.

there is also a very large expat community in new cairo and Rehab. i would reccommend Rehab which is not too far but it would be a much comfortable and relaxing experience. also it would be much cleaner with many available services commonly needed in the US such as large green areas, sports clubs, etc. if not, Zamalek is also a great area, but you would hate commuting everyday with very bad traffic.

good luck and welcome to egypt

Hello,
Welcome to Cairo. I see that you are relocating to Cairo, I am at the same time leaving Cairo and have some furniture for sale. Purchased from Kian all in great condition. If you are interested you may call me at 010-834-2282 Stella. Thanx

Hi Stella,

Please post your advert in the Cairo classifieds > buy and sell section. Thank you.

Good Luck in Heliopolis :) wish u both a safe life in Egypt.

Hi

I am a Brit and have just moved to Cairo.

I am living in El Rehab City. this is very nice, but not sure how far away it is from your place of work. It also has good expat community with a german/french/british school in the area. There is also a sports club there as well, (membership needed), with 2 swimming pools, tennis, football, volleyball, fitness, and even a paintball area.

Just to let you know.

Good luck with the move.

regards

T

Hi American_Girl, I hope that you will enjoy your staying in Cairo, i do believe that Zamalek is much better than Heliopolis, concerning the traffic Elaine is right but i think your school may have buses for different places and you could use it, but general speaking Zamalek is better, also new Cairo is great but if your husband already live in Zamalek so he already has complete setup to start your life there, one more thing it's better to judge by yourself so, you may need to came early if possible and check all those places by yourself and see what you will choose, take care and hope to successes in your new life.

Khaled

hi  American girl,my name is Maggie i lived  in egypt for a few yrs in rehab city in Cairo, i would say that for your comfort rehab city is a great place to live for ex pats lots there, it is very clean and lots of nice gardens,plenty shops eating places and buses that run every half  hour or so to cairo. It is a very safe place with nice apartments to rent and of course villas, it has private security and a very nice club with pools and sporting facilities, i would recommend that you go and have a look around.I will be moving back to rehab in august from the UK and think its a lovely place to live and only 20 mins to cario by car.

American_Girl wrote:

Greetings!
My husband and I are moving to Cairo in August. He's a graduate student at AUC and I just accepted a teaching position in Heliopolis. We'll be looking for an apartment soon, and I would greatly appreciate recommendations as to where we should live. I understand that Heliopolis and New Cairo are near one another. I suggested to my husband that we live in Heliopolis-- it seems that would be most practical being close to both my work and his school. But, he currently lives in Zamelek and believes I will be more comfortable there—due to a larger expat community. Are there any expats who could share their experiences living in either of these districts?
Thanks. :-)

Hi if your husband is in AUC New Cairo branch so living in New Cairo is perfect for you. there is El Rehab city, its a private compound where you can rent a flat and enjoy security and quite life. i live there so if u need and info about accommodation and activities don't hesitate to ask me.

American_Girl wrote:

Thank you for all the advice! We have decided to live in Heliopolis, as it will be close to my job and will not require travel though downtown Cairo.

@ Mohamed: I appreciate the offer, but my husband has a friend who is a real estate agent whom he is currently working with.

no problem at all :), good luck and if u ever needed anything in real estate in entire Egypt u can contact me :)

should live in the in the same district of living to avoid 3 hours of transportation every day. [Moderated: please register company in the Cairo Business Directory]

welcome in cairo , hope u enjoy ur stay here :):)