Online Work

Is it legal to work remotely for a US company while living in Kenya? If so, then how? I have been looking everywhere for an answer to this!

If you have a residence permit for Kenya it is not a problem

Thank you!

There a lot of American companies in Kenya and using it as a base for East Africa

So there must be opportunities in Kenya for start-up businesses

Regards,

Grant

Thanks! I want to try and be a travel agent.

Any ideas as I am looking for opportunities in Kenya

I have no idea either

Definitely huge opportunities for safaris and tours of the Kenyan bush

Also excellent hotels and guesthouses

You're right. I volunteered in Kenya in 2016 for three weeks. It's a magical country and I want to go back.

Africa is the next continent of resources and holds 70% of the worlds agricultural land so it is a continent of vast opportunity

Amen

Jacob, it's unclear whether you are intending to live in Kenya and work remotely for a company outside Kenya, or you want to start a travel agency within Kenya?

Technically, the former would be allowable under a Class K Visa, as the terms are that you have access to a source of income ($24,000 min) preferably derived from outside the country.  The examples used for this income tend to be investment, property rental, pensions etc.  If it were sourced from online work, it would be at the discretion of Immigration to decide whether this was permissible.

The Class K does not permit any type of work in Kenya and that includes voluntary work, which is illegal without a work permit (just in case you were thinking of doing this again!).  This is where the authorities discretion comes in, if you are working, in Kenya for a company back home.

For starting a business in Kenya, you need to register it first and get a KRA PIN, then apply for a work permit (full requirements are published on the Immigration Portal).  For anything to do with tourism, you need to register with the relevant government ministry.

The tourist/safari industry is a fairly crowded marketplace in Kenya .

This was great information! Thanks!

Working in the tourism industry, i don't think this is a crowded industry whatsoever. Theres still room for new entrants (aside from Covid - 19 challenges). Working with a local representation could help you as you start out as there would be lesser restrictions in terms of legal requirements and operations.