Do I have a chance to get Romanian citizenship?

I would welcome any advice please

Ever since Brexit, I am interested in whether I can get EU citizenship.

My situation is: married to Romanian national for 16 years, she lives in UK, I share time between living in Paris where I work and back at home with her. She has dual British/Romanian citizenship.

Her parents are still in Romania. We visit regularly. I speak fluent Romanian.

I have a 'permis de sedere' which is valid for 5 years, which I received in February 2019. It is registered to the address of my parents in law.

My question is - do I have a chance to get Romanian citizenship? Can I generate the required documents just by visiting regularly as a tourist, or is it impossible without actually living there full time?

Many thanks in advance

I don't know the answer to your question but my partner of 7 years is Romanian and she's recently moved back to Bucharest, I travel out to stay often and am hoping to move out there myself as soon as I can get a job there, I would gladly swap my British passport / citizenship to become a Romanian citizen and remain part of the EU family

Bonjour,
Si tu es marié.. Tu peux obtenir la double nationalité !!
A toi de faire la demande au consulat... Et vice et versa pour ta femme !!

Stt07 wrote:

Bonjour,

Please write in English as other members can understand.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Hi, if you're maried.. You can get it!!
To the romenian consulat!!! Inverse for you wife!!!

SimCityAT wrote:
Stt07 wrote:

Bonjour,

Please write in English as other members can understand.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Well a translation might be: 'If you are married, you can obtain dual nationality. Up to you to make the request at the consulate, and vice versa for your wife'

But that doesn't answer my question. I am not living in the country so have no record in e.g. the health, income tax system.  I guess my plan was to wait until 2024 when my 5 year 'permis de sedere' expires, then try to get permanent residence. Once I have that, try for citizenship. I just wondered whether I am going to be refused because I will be lacking some important documentation due to not living in the country.

Stt07 wrote:

Hi, if you're maried.. You can get it!!
To the romenian consulat!!! Inverse for you wife!!!

Hi Stt07. It sounds like you have some personal experience of obtaining citizenship based on marriage to a Romanian citizen - could you share your experience? Particularly in terms of what documents were needed.

According to the Romanian citizenship law, there are three ways to become a Romanian citizen. Two of which involve the system of jus sanguinis, (the right of blood), meaning that the child becomes a Romanian citizen if he has Romanian parents or a Romanian parent. If a child is under the age of 14 and is adopted by Romanian parent(s) they too are eligible for Romanian citizenship. If the child is over the age of 14 their consent is required.

The third way of gaining Romanian citizenship is by the process of naturalization. You are eligible to enter this process if you fit into one of the following categories:

You were born in Romania and currently reside there;
You have resided in Romania at least 8 years;
You have been married to a Romanian citizen for at least 5 years;
You will also need to satisfy the following requirements and conditions:

You are at least 18 years old;
You have assured means of existence, i.e. you can support yourself;
You have not been convicted for any offense deemed to make you “unworthy of being a Romanian citizen”;
You can demonstrate proficiency in the Romanian language;
You have have knowledge pertaining to the constitution of Romania and the national anthem;
Stages of naturalization
The naturalization process has certain stages which you will need to comply with:

Application

The application may be personally handed in or sent to the headquarters of the National Citizenship Authority in Bucharest, to the Territorial Offices in Iasi, Galati, Suceava and Timisoara or the Romanian embassy in the country where you have legal residency.

Interview

At this stage you will need to justify your knowledge of the Romanian language (written and spoken), culture, civilisation, constitution (including knowledge of the national anthem).

Commission report

During the interview the Commission will draw up a report which states whether the applicant has fulfilled all the required legal prerequisites for Romanian citizenship. Immediately after the interview has been passed the applicant will receive an order by certified letter by the National Citizenship Authority.

Oath

Within 3 months of being granted citizenship, the applicant is required to take an oath of allegiance to Romania at the headquarters of the National Citizenship Authority. During this ceremony, the applicant will receive their certificate of citizenship.

Documents required
As well as satisfying the above conditions you will also need to submit an application. You will need to provide the following documents:

Original passport as well as notarised copy.

A statement showing legal residence in Romania for at least 8 years or, if married to a Romanian citizen for at least 5 years of marriage. This can be a copy of your permanent residence permit for foreigners issued by the General Inspectorate for Immigration.

An affidavit, certified by a notary, showing that you currently do not support the actions taken against the legal order or against national security and have never conducted any such activities.
Original and certified copies of documents stating civil status, i.e. birth certificate, marriage, change of name/first name or divorce, etc. translated into Romanian. Documents must include name, city of birth, name/surname of parents and be authenticated by a notary.

Original and certified copy of criminal record in Romania (valid for 3 months from day of issuing).
A character reference from the country in which applicant resides at time of application. This will be valid in Romania for one year from date of issuing. Original and certified copy translated into Romanian.

Certified copy of proof of residence in one of the following forms: a lease agreement registered by financial administration or paperwork relating to the purchase of a property.

Proof of legal means for a decent existence in Romania under the conditions set by the law on aliens (if applicable); This proof must include income realised in Romania in the last 3 years. For examples of the accepted documentation check this website.

Documents required if you have a spouse and/or children:

A certified copy of spouse's proof of Romanian citizenship (identity card), if applicable.
Certified copies of birth certificates of children translated into Romanian.
Certified copy of agreement granting citizenship to applicant's child.
Consent of minor (over the age of 14) and certified declaration of minor in the presence of a parent.

SimCityAT wrote:

According to Romanian citizenship law, there are three ways to become a Romanian citizen. Two of which involve the system of jus sanguinis, (the right of blood), meaning that the child becomes a Romanian citizen if he has Romanian parents or a Romanian parent. If a child is under the age of 14 and is adopted by Romanian parent(s) they too are eligible for Romanian citizenship. If the child is over the age of 14 their consent is required.

The third way of gaining Romanian citizenship is by the process of naturalization. You are eligible to enter this process if you fit into one of the following categories:

You were born in Romania and currently reside there;
You have resided in Romania at least 8 years;
You have been married to a Romanian citizen for at least 5 years;
You will also need to satisfy the following requirements and conditions:

You are at least 18 years old;
You have assured means of existence, i.e. you can support yourself;
You have not been convicted for any offense deemed to make you “unworthy of being a Romanian citizen”;
You can demonstrate proficiency in the Romanian language;
You have have knowledge pertaining to the constitution of Romania and the national anthem;
Stages of naturalization
The naturalization process has certain stages which you will need to comply with:

Application

The application may be personally handed in or sent to the headquarters of the National Citizenship Authority in Bucharest, to the Territorial Offices in Iasi, Galati, Suceava and Timisoara or the Romanian embassy in the country where you have legal residency.

Interview

At this stage you will need to justify your knowledge of the Romanian language (written and spoken), culture, civilisation, constitution (including knowledge of the national anthem).

Commission report

During the interview the Commission will draw up a report which states whether the applicant has fulfilled all the required legal prerequisites for Romanian citizenship. Immediately after the interview has been passed the applicant will receive an order by certified letter by the National Citizenship Authority.

Oath

Within 3 months of being granted citizenship, the applicant is required to take an oath of allegiance to Romania at the headquarters of the National Citizenship Authority. During this ceremony, the applicant will receive their certificate of citizenship.

Documents required
As well as satisfying the above conditions you will also need to submit an application. You will need to provide the following documents:

Original passport as well as notarised copy.
A statement showing legal residence in Romania for at least 8 years or, if married to a Romanian citizen for at least 5 years of marriage. This can be a copy of your permanent residence permit for foreigners issued by the General Inspectorate for Immigration.
An affidavit, certified by a notary, showing that you currently do not support the actions taken against the legal order or against national security and have never conducted any such activities.
Original and certified copies of documents stating civil status, i.e. birth certificate, marriage, change of name/first name or divorce, etc. translated into Romanian. Documents must include name, city of birth, name/surname of parents and be authenticated by a notary.
Original and certified copy of criminal record in Romania (valid for 3 months from day of issuing).
A character reference from the country in which applicant resides at time of application. This will be valid in Romania for one year from date of issuing. Original and certified copy translated into Romanian.
Certified copy of proof of residence in one of the following forms: a lease agreement registered by financial administration or paperwork relating to the purchase of a property.
Proof of legal means for a decent existence in Romania under the conditions set by the law on aliens (if applicable); This proof must include income realised in Romania in the last 3 years. For examples of the accepted documentation check this website.
Documents required if you have a spouse and/or children:

A certified copy of spouse's proof of Romanian citizenship (identity card), if applicable.
Certified copies of birth certificates of children translated into Romanian.
Certified copy of agreement granting citizenship to applicant's child.
Consent of minor (over the age of 14) and certified declaration of minor in the presence of a parent.

Way to go Simon! This I call information! A prototype of how a reply should look like. By the way it is much harder to get Romanian citizenship compares with Swedish citizenship, here Swedes have something to learn from Romanians.

finnbo wrote:

Way to go Simon! This I call information! A prototype of how a reply should look like. By the way it is much harder to get Romanian citizenship compares with Swedish citizenship, here Swedes have something to learn from Romanians.

This is quite standard really to gain citizenship finnbo in a lot of countries. Just being married does not automatically give you the right to citizenship.

SimCityAT wrote:
finnbo wrote:

This is quite standard really to gain citizenship finnbo in a lot of countries. Just being married does not automatically give you the right to citizenship.

Not in Sweden. There are many "Swedes" who can't speak Swedish other than few words and have almost no knowledge about Sweden at all, not even simple things that anyone would know.