What's changing in the Philippines after the COVID-19 crisis

Hello everyone,

I hope you're doing well.

As the Editorial Team of Expat.com, our aim is to provide you with fresh and up-to-date information about the COVID-19 crisis in your host country. You might be expecting a lot of changes following the crisis, especially in terms of entry and visa requirements, work, buying property, education, etc.

Whether you're looking to relocate to the Philippines after the crisis or you have already settled in, here's what you need to know:

Post-COVID-19 changes in the Philippines

Hoping this helps. Also, feel free to write to me should you have any useful information that we could add.

Many thanks in advance.

Warm regards,
Veedushi
Editorial Assistant, Expat.com

I am a Swedish citizen, I have a girlfriend in Philippine, is it allowed now to enter the Philippine?

rafic50 wrote:

I am a Swedish citizen, I have a girlfriend in Philippine, is it allowed now to enter the Philippine?

The word is that tourist Visas will probably not be issued until November or 2021.  In Manila, the government just went back to an Enhanced General Quarantine, where only one person may leave the house to get food on certain days.  There are still a huge number of cases, and ICU beds are maxxed out in Cebu and in different cities on the island of Luzon.

I live in Leyte, and they have had the city on lockdown since March, and there were no CV19 cases, until Duterte ordered returning OFWs back to their home cities.  In Ormoc, there were in quarantine facility, tested positive, put in isolation, and only one fatality.

The strain here is not as lethal as the Italian strain, so it is not as lethal. 

I guess for now, the best you can hope for is Video Chatting, which is basically being pen pals.  I was on the fence flying back to the US for a few weeks, leaving mid-March, to do income taxes and some housekeeping,  Decided to stay with my Filipina wife, and am glad I did.  Have read of men with GFs/wives expecting babies, and they cannot return to their families.

thank you

moonunit0103 wrote:
rafic50 wrote:

I was on the fence flying back to the US for a few weeks, leaving mid-March, to do income taxes and some housekeeping,  Decided to stay with my Filipina wife, and am glad I did.  Have read of men with GFs/wives expecting babies, and they cannot return to their families.

That's what I did and the way it's going here in the States I may never get back there, lol. Seriously, it's the wild, wild west here. No leadership, no strategy. Every state on their own. At this point no country even wants Americans coming in. Quite a turnabout.

What's changed? 

A better question and easier to answer, would be, what hasn't.

Small businesses are failing and people in the provinces often do not get what little relief is supplied by the government.

Children cannot attend schools with the exception of on line classes which require electronics and a good internet connection which most do not have.

Jobs have dried up and transportation has been halted or curtailed to the point where people literally cannot get to what few jobs there are.

Restaurants had just begun to open with limited seating when the government decided to return to a more restrictive quarantine once again and those jobs and revenue for the businesses which were and are struggling have dried up once again.
A good example is the Jollibee restaurant chain which has lost of 2 billion in revenue and is planning on closing over 250 stores.

Travel is very restricted and involves the acquisition of travel passes (good for one day) and specific reasons for the travel and to what location.

Grocery stores in our area have so far maintained their stocks and roadside markets for fresh fruit and vegetables has been plentiful to this point.

We have been fortunate in that my wife and I have been able to travel in our area to grocery stores and to what businesses are open.  Many other expats I have chatted with have not been able to leave home for over a 100 days now. 
One said that he cannot obtain a travel pass even for medical reasons, as they do not consider his visit to the doctor an emergency.  Bureaucratic dimwits.

Expats wanting to return to the RP who cannot show proof of family ties cannot return even though many have girlfriends here with children that they were supporting and no longer can. So families are separated from loved ones.
Exceptions are made for those who are married to a Philippine citizen who resides in the Philippines, while providing documentation proving their marriage and a copy of the spouses passport and or other I.D.'s.  The traveler is then required to pay for a 14 day quarantine in an approved accommodation before they can return to their family.

Tourist areas are literally shut down for the most part and unless you live in the area, travel to beaches and resorts is out of the question. 
The resort and tourist industry is in shambles with airlines like Cebu Pacific storing planes in Australia until they are once again needed.

Tighter restrictions have recently returned to many areas, once again shutting down businesses and most transportation, while at the same time the government has declared they are running out of funds and relief goods. 

For us in the area in which we live we are fortunate in that we can get out in our rural setting and walk, work around the house, garden, etc.   Many  that live in condos and subdivisions cannot and with liquor bans, even sitting on the porch with a cold beer is not always an option.

Document renewals such as visas, drivers licenses, etc., is also at a near standstill, though the government is assuring people that there will be no fines or penalties for overdue renewals and ample time will be given to those needing renewals once the quarantines are lifted and or eased.

There is more, though I think we all get the picture.  It's a mess and it's not getting better with the bureaucrats stumbling over each other trying to cure the incurable with rules and regulations.
The country is now considered to be in a recession.  Will more lockdowns turn that around? 

Another expat commented about being locked in your house and stated that If you are scared to death of the China virus, then by all means stay in your bunker until you think it's safe to peek out at the world once again.
For those who are willing to risk getting out in the world and possibly dying from the virus,  let  them do so as opposed to dying in a locked box.

Funny how many people that we know have worked with others in "essential jobs" since this started and are still not infected.  Just lucky I guess.

My wife, new neighbor, and I got travel passes and health certificates and drove to Tacloban from Ormoc City to go to Bureau of Immigration and we're home before supper.

Bureau of Immigration Tacloban accepts walk ins, but only allows 4 expats in the building at a time.  My neighbor and I were in and out in 20 minutes. 

NBI was a bit of a surprise, since I had applied online and submitted documents online and had paid.  I expected to pick up my clearance letter like my wife had, but I had to complete an application in duplicate, walk several blocks for passport photos, then return, fill out another form in duplicate, then get fingerprinted.  Took about 1.5 hours.

Also took the truck to Nissan dealer for service.  Was done by 4pm

Checkpoints along the way we're closed or we got waved by.  Only stopped once on the way to Tacloban, and at Ormoc City Limits on return to scan our QR Codes.

I fully well written article for expat. It's good even for local. Thank you.

People are jumping into one of the biggest life changes there is and moving out of cities. For some, it's a chance to be closer to family, which feels more urgent in the midst of a global health scare. For a large swath of people in the country's most expensive cities, it's a way to get more living space and be closer to nature, as well as being more self reliant, something increasingly made possible by the growing trend of remote work. For many others it's not really a decision at all, but a necessity in the face of growing job losses and still sky-high rents.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comment and appreciation.

Feel free to share the article around you.

Also, many thanks to everyone who contributed.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Best,
Veedushi
Expat.com Team

is it enough to present marriage certificate to filippina at airport to enter the Philippine? no other documents available and my wife is not accompaning me.

manwonder wrote:

People are jumping into one of the biggest life changes there is and moving out of cities. For some, it's a chance to be closer to family, which feels more urgent in the midst of a global health scare. For a large swath of people in the country's most expensive cities, it's a way to get more living space and be closer to nature, as well as being more self reliant, something increasingly made possible by the growing trend of remote work. For many others it's not really a decision at all, but a necessity in the face of growing job losses and still sky-high rents.

Oh goodness me ... plagiarism , I read the same as above in the Washington Post

Sorry my mistake!...should have included "quote"/"unquote" (Washington Post)
Again any act of plagiarism is a mistake!

apology accepted.. the article in the Post was "trading traffic for chickens"

"Support journalism you can trust when it matters most."

Nothing changed in fact it's getting worse as are the infections and deaths. I came back in mid March and had to flee the city (Manila) advised by our regular hotel there so we were not isolated/stuck, we elected to drive home, 6 hours north to our house in La Union and I spent 9 or 10 weeks without leaving the property, Ben did all the shopping and took all the risks. A month ago I went out several times and because I was 60 was not allowed into many establishments. Now we need a mask and a face shield to get into most retailers stores and yep, the numbers are till rising, I see this with locals having flagrant disregard to health directives, no masks, no social distancing and that's why the Philippines is suffering. 5 months ago when I came back home the Philippines and Australia were on par,,,,, in fact PH. was lower with infection rates than Oz. That changed a few months ago and now PH is # 22 while Australia and to date with not a good track record is #69. Early days I thought I was safer in PH. Not now. One only needs to look at what is happening in the US or India, Brazil to see that this pandemic will change the Philippines and the rest of the world for years to come.

On a positive note the service and technologically influenced companies here? Nothing has changed so business as usual and customer service stinks, nothing changed with day to day living here and never will until those continually bending over stand up for their consumer rights.

Cheers, Steve.

Agreed : Nothing has changed for the better!...both here nor at home!

Richard Yan wrote:

I think a significant portion of the article was contributed by pnwcyclist, Philippine Expert.

The thing that I would suggest changing are "after" and "post" in the title and topic. A better question would be "How have things changed in the Philippines in light of Covid-19?" I truly believe that the crisis is not yet over for the Philippines and the rest of the world.

Fil-Am Mom wrote:
Richard Yan wrote:

I think a significant portion of the article was contributed by pnwcyclist, Philippine Expert.

The thing that I would suggest changing are "after" and "post" in the title and topic. A better question would be "How have things changed in the Philippines in light of Covid-19?" I truly believe that the crisis is not yet over for the Philippines and the rest of the world.

Agree FAM, early days yet. Changed for us? We are stuck between a rock and a hard place like all around the world, travel restrictions, investments have dwindled while prices rise and boredom sets in, I personally feel for people living on small lots or in condo's. A trying time for all especially those abiding by the rules of their respective countries. We, the human race will get through this and soldier on.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

I came back in mid March and had to flee the city (Manila) advised by our regular hotel there so we were not isolated/stuck, we elected to drive home, 6 hours north to our house in La Union and I spent 9 or 10 weeks without leaving the property, Ben did all the shopping and took all the risks.

I really like that you give credit to your significant other, not only on this post, but also in some of your other posts. I think it's sweet and thoughtful.

Nuckinfuts wrote:

Count me in for chickens.

Jackson4 wrote:
Nuckinfuts wrote:

Count me in for chickens.

Me too

I e-mailed the Philippine Embassy in Washington, D.C.  I asked them questions about extending my 13a probationary visa.  The Bureau of Immigration won't extend it.  I asked the Embassy what to do if it expires while I'm still here in the U.S.  Here is what they told me:

I received this e-mail from the Philippine Embassy in Washington, D.C.:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 11:50 AM Visa WDCPE <[email protected]> wrote:
After reviewing your case, the Embassy can only issue you a 9a tourist visa for you to be able to travel to the Philippines at this time

Fake Pandemic.

Fake? With over 200K of your countrymen dead? Over 7.5M infected? Yep fake, perhaps you could enlighten us instead of a two word controversial contribution?

Cheers, Steve.

over 99% recovery rate.  Very Fake.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 … for-older/

mdh330 wrote:

over 99% recovery rate.  Very Fake.

OMO but you should contact the the families of over a million people that have passed from this fake pandemic and the leaders of the world economies it is destroying and pass on your sentiments. Do you sir wish to be in the 1%? Bye. It's not going away, it is very real with 250 to 300K new cases daily and 4 to 5K deaths per day, will/can these figures be disputed, attributed to "fake figures" "Fake news" fake opinions"? I sir will not walk in front a bus on the highway and you sir say it's ok, fools rush in etc.

Again OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Not fake but really hyped that if you “get it” you will die.

Mhammond40 wrote:

Not fake but really hyped that if you “get it” you will die.

Hyped yes agree but is that not an alarm bell? Pull your head in, abide by professionals doctrines and not political nonsense. Some 7 months on and the infection rates, those tested and the death rate has certainly not abated but in fact increased in the last few months, apparently fake.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

With over 99% Full Recovery rate, its less of a threat than the yearly flu.

Look at the CDC FACTS  I posted above.

Start thinking logically instead of emotionally.

A Real Pandemic doesn't have a 99% Full Recovery rate.
Stop  drinking the koolaid- Time to Wake Up

You know we have gone off topic because this thread  was about changes in the Philippines post C-19,,,,, some 2 plus months on? It has turned into world wide issues, conspiracy theories (OMO) and the OP's post with great intentions was submitted in the middle of a war that is ongoing, not post and regardless the contributions and differing opinions are relevant to the Philippines on a world stage.

Nothing has changed and won't in the near future. All, no matter the country need to protect personal wellbeing and prosperity (though that has diminished recently)
The Philippines is an extremely resilient country that has weathered as many storms if not more than others and always positive, after the dust settles I will be glad I chose to live here and will prosper like my adopted country will.
The whole world is topsy turvy ATM and will be for the foreseeable future, the "new normal" will be "normal" and I will be part of it.

Stay at home I do, scared? Yes. Gutless? No. Wise? Yes. Foolhardy? No. Fake news? Yes. Sheep? No.
Anyway I am still here, only an uneducated plebeians take on world events that I intend to witness and not be a statistic.

Cheers, Steve.

mdh330 wrote:

With over 99% Full Recovery rate, its less of a threat than the yearly flu.

Look at the CDC FACTS  I posted above.

Start thinking logically instead of emotionally.

A Real Pandemic doesn't have a 99% Full Recovery rate.
Stop  drinking the koolaid- Time to Wake Up

Firstly we will get it right, JD for me and Kool-Aid for the less wary.

I googled your opinion.

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa … p;oe=UTF-8

12 to 61K deaths per annum since 2010 from the common flu. Depends on the year.
C-19 to date? According to:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

215K deaths in 7 months, what will the rest of the year bring given current "fake" numbers?

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Whats changed??...I've placed a NEW huge curtain infront on my front gate (Fence Mask) as residents here hardly follow safety protocols or safe distancing & like to sit just outside my gate....so I've learnt to accomodate this sometimes unruly behaviour.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Off-topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Let's stay on topic and away from politics guys. Things are slowly opening up and restrictions being eased in Philippines. Of course sensible precautions such as face masks, and shields in some instances, are required.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Irrelevant
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Yes, you keep arguing and posting links to dubious science about the worldwide Covid pandemic when it has nothing to do with this thread specifically about the Philippines. Why is it so important for you to argue that case here? This is a forum specific to the Philippines and their leadership has set the rules and we have to abide by them. . 

Your comments could also be considered misinformation since it is well proven that masks help avoid the spread of the virus. To your point - of course people are still getting Covid - they are working and gathering indoors without masks, going to bars, etc. Obviously a virus that can remain airborne for extended periods in aerosol form can infect you under those conditions.  Some squatter locations are so cramped and lacking hygiene that it is inevitable.

Now lets ALL please keep on topic. This was an informative thread before it was taken off track.

I personally know in Carcar a family that religiously wore their mask, distanced and sanitized continuously and STILL GOT THE VIRUS... the entire house (11 People) quarantined . Ages ranged from 2 to 70 in the house and symptoms were light fever, few body aches but NO ONE DIED. Before this happened they were scared to death from the media and others about HOW bad the virus was and beware... now they are very skeptical of what they hear from the so called “experts” and media.. There are always 2 sides to everything... remember when people thought the earth was FLAT! Open your mind.. doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is called.. well you probably already know the answer....

Mhammond40 wrote:

I personally know in Carcar a family that religiously wore their mask, distanced and sanitized continuously and STILL GOT THE VIRUS... the entire house (11 People) quarantined . Ages ranged from 2 to 70 in the house and symptoms were light fever, few body aches but NO ONE DIED. Before this happened they were scared to death from the media and others about HOW bad the virus was and beware... now they are very skeptical of what they hear from the so called “experts” and media.. There are always 2 sides to everything... remember when people thought the earth was FLAT! Open your mind.. doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is called.. well you probably already know the answer....

Carcar is a 5th class province in the Philippines maybe some can take that as a good example...I'd rather hear news direct from medical professionals & now even more so from economics professionals...like you say there is always two sides to everything.
Again Omo.

Mhammond40 wrote:

I agree, ignoring a pandemic is like thinking the world is flat.  Saying there is always two sides to every story is just wrong.  You wanna tell us the Nazi side of the 6,000,000 in the ovens they fried?  Only 1,000,000 have died from Covid 19, so it is not quite as bad,but still not over.  Perhaps you could tell us the other side of the 1918-1919 Spanish flu.  Media hype?