Marriage Visa question

Hi everyone,

I am currently a Singapore citizen and intend to marry my German fiance in Germany instead of Singapore. The process is pretty stressful but we are persevering. We intend to marry on 7 January 2021.

My fiance will be submitting the documents to the Stadesamt in Bergisch Gladbach end of this week for processing and I recently sat for the A1 exam (results will be out in 2 weeks). So right now I wish to start preparing the documents for Marriage Visa to be submitted to the German Embassy in late September.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Proof of health insurance: I intend to buy the 90 day travel health insurance that covers up till the wedding date. But what happens after that? Does my fiance need to contact the health insurance provider (he's using private in Germany) and let them know in advance to put me under family health insurance as soon as I arrive in Germany?

I will be working remotely part time at home in Germany for my Singapore company, my boss is ok with it and I will be able to make social contributions too, including health. I'm not earning alot since its only part time. But when should I get this mandatory health insurance settled? Must I be covered immediately after my 90 day travel health insurance expires on the wedding day? Or is there a grace period for me to settle the mandatory health insurance part?

If wish to get the health insurance sorted through me being employed and paying social contributions, I will need to declare in advance that I will be working remotely and contributing to the social contributions? So will it be better for me to declare my start employment date in Germany 1st of January 2021 to make things easier? Assuming that I get my marriage visa in late december this year.

2. From what I heard that after I arrive in Germany, I will need to contact the local authorities to apply for residence permit. Do I have to go immediately after I arrive in Germany, or can we do so a week after our wedding day? Or at least before my 90 day visa is up.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome to our forum,

It is not my region. So I will leave it to the official animators to refine the answers.

However, I'm pretty sure if you take the time to browse through the old threads using the magnifying glass next to your avatar, you'll find the answers you're looking for.

Since this style of question is one of the recurring questions.

1. since your husband-to-be is in a private health insurance, you cannot join his insurance as a dependent free of charge. you need to get (and pay for) your own health insurance - and if you earn little, the public scheme is compulsory.
You have three months after your arrival to settle this, but you will be retroactively insured (and have to pay) from the day of your arrival - so no point procrastinating!
2. You need to register your residence within a week of your arrival.

Note: Working for a foreign company will be pretty complicated from a buerocratic viewpoint. I have no idea if and how taxation and social contributions work in that case. You may be classified as self-employed!

To add to what Beppi wrote. Travel  insurance is  not really the same as being locally insured. It usually only covers emergency situations and not regular doctors' visits or treatments. It is meant for people temporarily in a country rather than one immigrating and staying longer. Like Beppi mentioned, you need to go ahead and start the process of applying for German insurance right away, and then the coverage and payments will be retroactively applied to when you arrived.

Hello northlightx,

Did you finally get your fiance visa during the COVID situation? How long did it take?