Returning Brazil wants to bring home her money too - advice

Hi,

A Brazilian widow who spent a good 20 years in the USA wants to bring home her patrimony of less that U$50k without huge hassle or horrible taxes. She wants easy because she's not great at understanding financial matters. She doesn't want to leave it there to slowly sip out of the bank via ATM withdrawal. She doesn't care if it is in reais when it gets here - she probably doesn't care to try to sell dollars anyhow. She may eventually get Social Security but if she manages that I'm sure she'll use the folks at the Lisbon FBU and get it direct deposited. That's a decade away so it isn't on her radar.

WHO does she need to connect with to get her limited wealth, her death benefits and home sale back to Brazil where she intends to stay?

I told her to start with the closest Brazilian consulate.

Ideas?

Thx
MattB

That is a lot of R$ on one trip.
Any connection with BB? Might speak with BB to bring money for investing. BB or Consulate in the US may get a letter to give to RF and customs. (Resident certificate.)

I agree with Tex.  As a Brazilian citizen, your friend either has or can easily open a Brazilian bank account.  The safest and smartest thing to do (if she really wants to convert the whole nut at the current exchange rate, even knowing that the Real continues to drop against the Dollar) is to move the funds through her Brazilian bank. 

She should consult an accountant, but my understanding is that, since the funds are hers and not income, there should be no Brazilian tax implications,  aside from the inevitable IOF.  That was the advice I received when I transferred the funds to buy our home.  I've filed my Imposto de Renda twice since, and the Receita Federal still hasn't come by with a bill. 🤞

We just bought an apartment there and the exchange was volatile in June for some reason and used the wire transfer service at BOFA. They will transfer in Dollars or Reais. Dollars will have a transfer fee, not much $45 per. Real is free but HERE IS THE KICKER
Dollars or Reais go in one day but, Banco Do Brasil took 5 days to process and in that time the exchange rate changed.  If you send in Reais especially with BOFA, it will get stuck in the Cambio / exchange until the recipient fills out some very reveling financial documents for the Government. The people that we purchased the apartment from did not want to go down that road so we cancelled the Reais wire and when it came back it cost me $7,000 exchange difference. But by the time the deal got done in dollars it saved me $22,000, Just lucky I guess. The volatility has slowed down lately, Point is, Be very careful. For cash,Take $10,000 per person and use the local Cambio, you will get the best rate and no exchange fees that you will have here. I take 2,000$R to have when I get off the plane
Cheers

When I was doing wires, BofA would wire the  funds to my BB account,  and they'd be available the next day, after I'd established a pattern that showed that I wasn't a money launderer, which took 2-3 months.  Until then, clearing took 4-5 days.  Transferring the  funds to buy our apartment was after that, so the money were available immediately.

Personally, I would never, ever, ever want to be carrying  $10,000 US on my person in Brazil, but different people have different levels of risk tolerance.

Oh my, the person seeking my help with her funds and how to get ready for a move back to her homeland is apparently totally unprepared for this and so I'm thinking that maybe I need to start making a checklist for her.

She IS Brazilian so her challenges will all be with how to deal with some common things and do so over the Internet. Is there any kind of list already available that anybody has seen - focus being a Brazilian, resident in the USA returning to live in Brazil but with potential small income from Social Security etcetera?

I like checklists!!

MattB

Really easy:

1. She has to have a bank account in Brazil.
2. If she has an SS Survivor´s Benefits, to arrange that to be sent automatically to her account in Brazil - IN REAIS!
3. The $50,000 can be sent in reais directly to her account in Brazil. That evades poor exchange rates of
Brazilian banks.
4. If bringing furnitures, arrange with a moving company that has experience and a partner in Brazil. Topics have been placed many times in this forum about that. It´s cheaper and easier to buy household goods in Brazil including cars. Unless there are items made of mahogany or oak. Here you get low quality made furnitures and majority are particle boards.
5. She should put all her money on fixed income to add more revenues. Banks could do that for her.
6. She should pre-arrange a place to live through imobiliarias which could be done online.

robal

I have lived extensively in both countries, so my question is legit:  Why does she want to return to Brazil?
My mom returned to Brazil. from San Diego, in 2007, but took the way back in 2010, never to return to Brazil.

Ron Pinto wrote:

I have lived extensively in both countries, so my question is legit:  Why does she want to return to Brazil?
My mom returned to Brazil. from San Diego, in 2007, but took the way back in 2010, never to return to Brazil.

Well, only her knows that and it´s got to be a strong personal reason.

Ron, Her American husband died and he was everything for her. In spite of spending many years in the USA she never really adapted and was never very employable lacking certifications and language skills. She has a large family in Brazil and is now quite alone in the USA.
Matt

Well, Matt,
I only hope the best for her and that she will never regret any decisions.
I made several bad decisions, regarding moves, and I know how hard it is.
Best of luck to her.

"The tree grows best in the land of its first planting."

Expat.com regulars are, to some extent at least, exceptions to Tolkien's observation almost by definition.  But for many, many people, it's a simple truth, and all the reason they need.  :idontagree:

In case your friend doesn't know,

Widows can collect Husbands social security starting at age 60 if married 10 years.

abthree wrote:

"The tree grows best in the land of its first planting."

Expat.com regulars are, to some extent at least, exceptions to Tolkien's observation almost by definition.  But for many, many people, it's a simple truth, and all the reason they need.  :idontagree:

"That's deep man" and philologist!