Employment and new work practices in Italy

Hello everyone,

In diverse sectors, employment in Italy has been tremendously affected by the current crisis.
We invite you to share your experience on these changes in the professional world in Italy.

Did new work practices emerge over the last few months?

Is working from home becoming the new normal or is it still marginal?

What about recruitment in companies located in Italy?

Were there new laws passed regarding work? If so, what were the consequences on the labour market?

Finally, what is your personal experience on that matter and on your own job specifically?

Thank you for your contribution!

Cheryl
Expat.com team

I would like to share my experience, after Covid-19, my work is badly affected.
I work in IT sector. My employer said me to sit at home from 11th March due to locked down imposed in Italy. Later this extended until May. But when May arrived, they again extended this until July.
Although some amount of salary was paid under the law "Cassa Integrazione" which was paid by the government. I appreciate and thankful to the Italian government who took care of salaried employees and business man to pay the least basic money to survive in this pandemic time.

So I got half salary from march to July without doing any work, although I have asked to study new technologies and brush up existing ones, to remain updated for future projects.
In this period of time, they conducted my interview 2-3 times with the clients as I was supposed to work at client site. Clients were Ok with my skills, but they wanted me to move Milan which was badly affected by Covid-19, so they put me on hold, and I could not be the part of project. and I lost it. Thit happened multiple times, and I am still sitting ideal, with no work at all.
For August and September month, They sent me an email to invite me to take my personal leaves (summer vacation), obviously they won't gonna pay me, because locked down is lifted and Goverment will not going to pay our employers anymore and officially I am on vacation(As I insisted to take holidays). So I am employed but without any stipend, not sure about October and the coming months.

The clients of my company are putting many projects on-hold because of current situation) therefore they don't need us currently, and people like me are sitting ideal paying our rent, house-hold needs, all utilities but with no salary.  I tried to get a new job but I didn't get positive response, one company took my interview and got satisfied but never proceed further, I don't know why.

I am worried about what happens next, Will my life come back to old productive days, with a lot of work and full salary, I am not sure, just hoping for everything to get normal like old days.

This is my job experience due to current covid-19 situation.

Thank you for sharing your story.  So sorry how this pandemic has been so very hard on too many.  Wishing the best for you.