Dependent visa for husband

Hello,

Me and my husband came to Mauritius, We did apply for occupational permit. We get the occupational permit for me but not for my husband.
So, now can he get the dependent visa as I have occupational permit?

Hi,

Yes, you can now apply for a resident permit for him as a dependent.

Hi, I have a similar question. My wife is British-born to Mauritian parents. She has full Mauritian citizenship, Mauritian passport, Mauritian ID card. Am I right that I can apply for residency as I am her spouse? And also our two daughters? Thanks

matt4509 wrote:

Hi, I have a similar question. My wife is British-born to Mauritian parents. She has full Mauritian citizenship, Mauritian passport, Mauritian ID card. Am I right that I can apply for residency as I am her spouse? And also our two daughters? Thanks

Yes, you are entitled to a spouse residency permit. So are your daughters.

That said, your daughters are not entitled to Mauritian citizenship themselves as their mother was not born in Mauritius.

Thanks Winston H. I read somewhere that my daughters are eligible to apply for Residency up until they reach 24 years of age, is this still the case? The rules seem to change every time there is a new government or a new Budget . Thanks

matt4509 wrote:

Thanks Winston H. I read somewhere that my daughters are eligible to apply for Residency up until they reach 24 years of age, is this still the case? The rules seem to change every time there is a new government or a new Budget . Thanks

Different situations here.

Under an Occupation Permit regime, the children of the holder is allowed residency in Mauritius until they reach 24.

But given that your wife is a Mauritian citizen and therefore does not need a permit to live and work in Mauritius, you and your children are also entitled to residency in Mauritius and your children are not subjected to this 24-year-old rule.

The rule changed for foreign spouses last year. Since March of last year, foreign spouses now need a Work Permit to take up any kind of employment in Mauritius.

Thanks again, that's very interesting . Can I ask how you're so well informed on this matter? I find the Gov.MU website incredibly confusing, as do others on here judging by comments in similar posts . You seem to have all the facts at your fingertips, which is great news for this forum. Thanks

I tried to keep myself informed on subject matters relating to relocation and permits. But things always change and I often miss out on new developments too sometimes.

I would like to rectify something I mentioned about your daughters' citizenship above.
What I was trying to say is that they are not entitled to automatic registration as Mauritian citizens since their mother was not born in Mauritius.

However, they can apply for citizenship after living in Mauritius continuously for 3 years (recently amended, so would need to check again) and wait for an approval from the Prime Minister's Office.

Thanks  Winston, you've been very helpful