We made it! - relocated from the UK to Tarragona

Me, my fella and our 2 dogs just relocated from the UK to Tarragona. We've only been here for 3 days but we absolutely love it already!

Anyone who's been thinking about it during this lockdown craziness, now is the time, while you can still get your NIE and residency sorted, and I can almost guarantee you won't regret it 😊💃

Good luck, relocating was a decision I've not regretted so far. I hope it's the same for you. 

And, as of Monday the process is for the new TIE so good luck with that too!

Re the TIE for brits

Under the Withdrawal Agreement the rights of Brit cannot change until the end of the transition period.  Thus EU citizen Registration must continue

I understand from 6 July brits can choose to apply for a TIE but it cannot be compulsory until 1st Jan 2021.

It appears.  Application for the TIE can only be done at the provincial centre not the national police.   However I have seen too that it might be possible to initially start the application online

If I were in that situation, I would wait a couple of weeks to how the ‘guinea pigs' shake out the system !!!

From FB. N332

British persons will be able to request a document of residence in Spain from July 6th

The Directorates-General for Migration and the Police have approved an instruction that allows British residents in Spain, before the effective entry into Brexit on January 31st, to request from July 6th, optionally, a document accrediting their residence in Spain.

The BOE published today Saturday, states that nationals of the United Kingdom residing in Spain "will not have the obligation to apply for a new resident status nor, therefore, undergo a new documentation process, but they will have the right to receive (...) a residence document that expressly reflects their status as a beneficiary of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement”.

Temporary residence documents will be valid for 5 years and permanent ones for 10 years.
BOE for reference: https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2020/07/04/ … 0-7276.pdf

Hi, Glad you're enjoying your new life ☺️ We're moving to Torre del Mar in November 🤞 Did you have to get any documents translated or apostille?
Hearing so many different things 🙄

Thanks Jan 😊

Thank you @culebronchris! We love it so far, and the TIE process doesn't seem so bad... we're just glad to be here before January! 😊

Hey TorreJan

I'm so excited for you! It's undoubtedly a strange time to move, we keep going to places that are oddly empty and then having to remind ourselves that this time next year they will (hopefully) be teeming with people :') but it's been amazing so far.

We are currently going through the new TIE process for Brits moving to Spain up until January the 1st that @Johncar kindly posted about above. We got our NIE's before we left the UK at the consulate in London, found a good lawyer in our area before we left, and started the process as soon as we arrived. So far we've had no need for a translator or apostille (I had to Google that one :')) but I will be looking for a good gestor later this week.

Are you moving here from the UK?

Elle

Just to clarify.

Getting an NIE  before you come to spain is just a waste of time.  It's just a number and confers no rights to residence.

If you have an NIE or not,  the process of applying for a TIE is exactly the same.

If you already have the number that will be the number on your TIE.   If you do not then a number will be allocated.

If you have a TIE ( or a green certificate) you do not need an NIE certificate.  I had an NIE before I had Residence status.  For  over 30 years, since I got my residence status,  it has only been a piece of worthless paper.

Thanks for your reply....yes, we're moving from the UK...My brother and his wife live in America,.. and have been going to Torre for the last 5 years (Dec to April) so we have been going to visit him there and decided to move there...My brother is also moving there in November...if Spain will let them in due to covid 😷
We can't wait to get there!
Enjoy your Spanish dream ☀️☀️☀️
Best wishes Jan 😊

Nice , wonderful,I my.self I live in Valencia. Have great time

Valencia is beautiful ☺️ I'm sure you're having a great life ☀️

Make sure you move to spain before the end of the year. 

If you have not obtained or at least applied for residence status (a TIE) you will find it much more difficult to do so, not least of which as a couple you up will need as income of over 30,000 euros per year or savings or assets of that amount. At present it is about 9,000. 

And after the end of the year the S1 health cover will not be available so you will need 100% cover with no exceptions nor co-payments.

Hi Johncar, My partner retires in September, we have our bank account sorted in Spain and are sorting a Gestor. We have a rental for 3 months from the beginning of November...I know it's tight for the end of the year but 🤞Do you have any recommendations for health insurance...it will just be for me as I only retire in February 2022 😁

Thanks Jan

When you say your partner retires in sept do you mean he (she) will be receiving a state retirement pension then?   If so he (She ) will be entitled to an S1.   

I am assuming from what you say you are not a married couple.  It would be worth calling DWP to see if your relationship will entitle you to cover as a dependant.   If it does, it might be worth looking into the possibly of you taking early retirement so you can apply for a TIE before the end of this year. Just a thought !

If you are not covered,  I do not think you will be able to claim S1 cover after the end of this year, when you retírenos 2022.   And unless you are married to a resident, and can claim family reunification,  you will need an income of 27,000 a year, or savings, or assets.

If I were your partner, I would move to Spain in September and immediately apply for a TIE.  No one knows what problems COVID might throw up.

PS.   Having a rental, gestor, Bank
Account, etc will not improve the conditions for resident registration.

Thanks Johncar, my partner (he) will have a state pension...we have to apply 4 weeks before we go...I thought going as a dependent had been stopped, will ring up to check. If not I will need private health care for the time before I can get my S1. I will only need to have private cover for 16 months.

Thanks again Jan ☺️

Thank you for that info @Johncar. We got our NIE's before hand to open our bank accounts (as it is needed) and to potentially allow us to work legally and purchase a property as soon as we arrived, so it has been very useful for us :)

Hey @Torrejan, that sounds great :) I was under the impression that as long as you are living in Spain and start the residency process before the 1st of January you should be able to complete it, even if it runs past the transition date... I might be wrong but I will try and check this with my lawyer when I speak to her next.

That would be my recommendation; find a good lawyer now and ask them if there is anything you can do to help the process along before you leave, and what happens if you are halfway through the process when January 1st hits!

The cheapest company I could find for health insurance (that is a non co-payment plan and fit for residency) was with ASSSA via Jennifer Cunningham but they would not cover us as there aren't enough doctors and hospitals that they approve in our area. We will probably be taking it out with our bank, but please note that the health insurance HAS to start on the day you have your residency appointment, and you have to pay for the full year up front to illustrate that you have 12 months of it... so we are waiting to get our appointment before taking our insurance out (which is a little awkward 😂)

You will get there! Just find a good lawyer, and get some solid advice, and you'll be fine 😊

Hi, I've heard that, if you've started the process before the end of the year, you have until June 2021.
My partner will be retired when we move, so he'll get an S1, that will cover him for health care. I rang them this morning to find out if I can get an S1 as his dependant. We have to ring up 4 weeks before we move, so it's looking good  :)  Jan

Quote.  I've heard that, if you've started the process before the end of the year, you have until June 2021.

That does not mean much as the process does not take long.  So look at the end of 2020 to get things done and you won't risk missing the  bus !

Wow amazing so glad you managed to make it out there! I don't know whether the green NIE number card I had when I lived and worked in Spain in 2018 means I have the right to work in Spain/residency or if I ignore that and apply for the Tie. I am a British citizen and the Internet has only confused me more so I would be very grateful for any advice.

Hi all got residencia in 12/2020.  Trying to move furniture across.   It says after 3 months you need extension certificate.  What's this called. Any clues where to get from? So we don't have to pay duty tax on goods

Hi there we are looking into Tarragona area to relocate. Hope you are settled in your life in the sun. What are the best areas close to Tarragona. I like a little village in the best area. Could you advise. Thank you

Hello, I am Thai and living in Thailand now. I am looking for a jobs in Spain and I keen to relocate. My experience is mostly about customer service in both of business field and hospitality industry.

If there is any interesting jobs or the jobs that suits for Thais, please let me know

Thank you.

Hi
The best thing to do is take a drive around the Tarragona Reus area, there are lots of smaller villages that might suit you, we are just opposite Maspujols, across the river. 5 mins from the village and 5 mins in the car to Reus.
Good luck with your search.
Annie

Thank you so much I will have a look. I also would like to be just outside a village close to  some nature but not too far from town. Thank you !!

@narumol5157

Hello,

Are you still looking for job in Tarragona ?

Kind Regards

@narumol5157

Hello,

Are you still looking for a job in Tarragona ?

Kind Regards

yes

in tarragona or other city in Spain .