Gathering information on changes in the Netherlands post crisis

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well in the Netherlands. We are putting together an article on the post-crisis changes in the Netherlands for to-be expats or expats looking to get updates. And no one would be in a better position to provide us with, not only up-to-date information, but also practical expat insights on the situation within the country.

We've set up a list of questions we thought would be useful, would you be willing to help us out with these? If we have missed anything, please add any information you think might be relevant.

What are the current regulations for entering the Netherlands ? (quarantine, health checks, fees involved…)

Have there been visa changes recently? (new visas, cancelled visas etc…)

Is it easy to find work in the Netherlands following the crisis? (working conditions for foreigners, quotas, new areas of work, incentives for remote working…)

How would you view the dutch healthcare system in light of the crisis? (response to the COVID-19, how to get tested for COVID-19…)

Has anything changed regarding universities and schools? (safety for foreign students, changes regarding student visas or conditions…)

How is the real estate market following the crisis? (price, availability…)

Has the cost of living changed because of the crisis in the Netherlands?

How about lifestyle? Have there been major changes in habits following the sanitary crisis? (measures in public spaces, new habits to adopt…)

We will condense the gathered information in one and the same article and publish it in a specific section of our Netherlands guide. Thank you so much for your help! The information you will provide will be of infinite help to someone looking to move to the Netherlands or to anyone living there but is not quite sure where to find these updates!

Have a glorious day and a glorious week-end!

Hi Anne-Lise and thanks for the question.

The Dutch Government have been quite helpful and have amassed all of their COVID information in one place; this link will take people straight there.  The Dutch Government department that is primarily concerned with COVID is the National Institute for Public Health
and the Environment Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, helpfully shortened to RIVM.  To try and answer your specific questions:

What are the current regulations for entering the Netherlands ?  It depends on where you are travelling from.  It's all summarised on the website; this link will take you straight there.

Have there been visa changes recently?  No.  That said, the Dutch Government department that deals with administering immigration (IND) has been affected with offices closing temporarily and many staff working from home; this has had an affect on the issuing of documentation and people being able to physically visit an IND office; they are currently only making appointments and/or dealing with peoples 1st residence permit application.

Is it easy to find work in the Netherlands following the crisis?  Most workplaces have re-opened.  Holland is always looking for qualified, experienced people.  If people learn the language, have relevant qualifications and experience and are willing to work hard, they will have no bother finding work.

How would you view the dutch healthcare system in light of the crisis?  I don't know anybody who suffered from COVID in the Netherlands.  That said, the Dutch Healthcare system is very different to other countries I've lived and worked in; I can understand why people may get frustrated by it.  From the Press, initially COVID seemed to be centred in 2 locations to the south and 1 place in the west, then it spread across the whole country.  The Dutch Government went to a lot of trouble to make sure things worked, transferring assets and staff from the military to bolster local healthcentres, even working across borders to neighbouring countries to seek and give help.  My own opinion is that it worked; although I did have a conversation on here with one Forum member who clearly thought it was not good enough; I hope he's OK today.

Has anything changed regarding universities and schools?  Dutch primary schools reopened for all on 8 June.  Social distancing rules do not apply to children under 12, but adults are expected to maintain this rule when with children not in their family group.  I think all Dutch University campuses closed back in March and will now not reopen until after the summer holiday (end of August).

How is the real estate market following the crisis?  Decent accommodation is always in short supply in the Netherlands; for this reason, it's always expensive and COVID doesn't seem to have changed this; for example, my daughter was recently offered a stupid amount of money for her house.

Has the cost of living changed because of the crisis in the Netherlands?  It's too early to expect official Government figures.  However, like many countries, in March people were panic buying, which resulted in shortages and prices going up as a consequence, it seems to have eased off now and I noticed nothing untoward the last time I was there (June 2020).

How about lifestyle? Have there been major changes in habits following the sanitary crisis? The Dutch are a very social country and family bonds are very strong; for this reason, sheltering and social distancing has affected many families, with people who needed to shelter being apart from their families for a long time, this is now being relaxed and social distancing now being the norm for all.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hey Cynic! Thank you for your input! :)