Golf clubs posted to Bali

Hi,
I want a friend of mine to send me 2 golf clubs from Sydney to Bali by TNT just need to know the best way to do it.
They are second hand not sure of the value they might be $200 how much duty do you need to pay .thanks

You will pay nothing, a relatively new regulation  means anything under $500.00 there is no duty.

Should be ok and no issues, but like any place its customs who decide the value no the sender or place of origin

Agree with both the above comments. There was a regulation passed that said that goods with a value of less than $500 could be brought in without paying any tax. I know that it applied to people hand carrying stuff from overseas when entering into Indonesia via airports etc. So I assume that it also includes things being sent via courier.

But as the above poster mentions, it does depend on the Customs officers who inspect the goods/documentation. Hopefully you shouldn't have any problems.

grenadier wrote:

You will pay nothing, a relatively new regulation  means anything under $500.00 there is no duty.

Im sorry, but on the 23rd of December 2019, the Indonesian Directorate General of customs and excise released a press stating that the de minimis exemption on shipments imported into Indonesia will be revised downwards from USD75 per shipment to USD3 per shipment for all imported goods, its easy to find with Google.

So what does that mean? Any shipments with a value over $3 will be subject to import tax? And the $500 maximum limit is still valid for hand-carried items when people enter the country through airports etc?

I know for a fact in March this year it remaind tax free upto £99.99 for postal goods received from europe as i order stuff several times a month but due to restrictions lately i havent, anything over this amount can be very small tax or upto 50/100%, i went over the above amount by £12 once, (school boy error) and paid an additional £75 in tax, i recieved books in late april about £80 worth, zero tax again

Shill88 wrote:

So what does that mean? Any shipments with a value over $3 will be subject to import tax? And the $500 maximum limit is still valid for hand-carried items when people enter the country through airports etc?

Exactly, except for goods carries trough airports, the maximum limit is 250 USD per passenger and 1000USD per family.

Gwmeath wrote:

I know for a fact in March this year it remaind tax free upto £99.99 for postal goods received from europe as i order stuff several times a month but due to restrictions lately i havent, anything over this amount can be very small tax or upto 50/100%, i went over the above amount by £12 once, (school boy error) and paid an additional £75 in tax, i recieved books in late april about £80 worth, zero tax again

As I said, starting from 01-01-2020, de minimis has been reduced to 3USD (previous was 75USD, never been 99.99 GBP), controls to some goods with small value are randomly, so u were just lucky,.

But are you sure that this applies to people receiving used personal items through the post or through courier companies. It seems the purpose of that new rule is essentially to place a control on importers importing quantities of goods at very cheap prices (such as from China) and therefore creating unfair competition for Indonesian manufacturers.

So does it really apply to people having things shipped into Indonesia from overseas such as books, two secondhand golf clubs, food such as a selection of cakes and biscuits and crisps from the the UK etc?

What I have read is:

"The Directorate General has stated that the reasons for implementing this change include preventing the market from being flooded with mass-made or counterfeit products from overseas markets and also to level the playing field for local manufacturers who import materials or goods in bulk and thus have to pay duties and taxes regardless of the import value. Indonesia has experienced a massive 814% increase in imported parcels, from 6.1 million packages to 49.69 million packages in 2019, that are classified under eCommerce activity. Indonesian craftsmen and manufacturers of bags, shoes and garment products have especially been affected in recent years from the surge in cross-border imports of these items, resulting in many being driven out of business. With the new de minimis threshold in place, all importers, be it eCommerce sellers or local manufacturers, will be subject to more equitable importing rules."

https://janio.asia/articles/indonesia-d … importers/https://jakartaglobe.id/business/indone … line-shops

It seems that Indonesian Customs are specifically targeting e-commerce sellers who import into Indonesia and then sell online locally (and manufacturers too).

So are you absolutely sure that private citizens importing a few books or receiving a couple of secondhand golf clubs or even for those buying foreign foods such as a couple of Mr. Kipling's Battenburg cakes from the UK are subject to these changes? The thing is, almost nothing costs less than $3 and if it does then who would want to ship it anyway.

Yes, the first reason is what u read, but it applies to every goods enter in Indonesia, also for secon hands ones. Ever u heard about people that move to Indonesia and send here their stuff from their Country? they have to pay inport taxes, dipending from the classification applied from the custom, some staff has small tax, others classified as "luxury goods" has very high tax.

Yes I have heard about expats moving to Indonesia and sending their stuff from their home country. I am one of them.

In fact, I moved here a few years ago from Malaysia having lived there for many years, and I moved half of my house contents, everything except for the big furniture. I mean every kind of kitchen appliance, home theater system, hundreds of music cd's, art and decoration, hifi system, children's toys, clothes, shoes, rugs, paintings, in fact just so much stuff. It was sent is groups of cartons, sometimes 10 cartons, sometimes 5, sometimes 20 boxes and so on. I paid zero import tax. But I can imagine how Customs would have to sort through my thousands of different items and find the tax category for each things, seems totally unfeasible.

However, this new regulation was supposed to take place starting 30th January 2020, so I do not know whether it is currently in effect or not.

Do you have personal experience or do you have friends that have personal experience in bringing in secondhand personal items with a value over $3 and who have been taxed?

I would just like to be clear on this matter, not that I am doubting you. The thing is, every single person entering Indonesia whether as an Indonesian citizen or an expat or as a tourist will definitely have things with a value of more than $3. By inspecting everyone's baggage and then calculating tax on anything with a value of more than $3 is going to be an impossible task. So does this new rule only apply to shipments or to people hand-carrying things when they arrive at an airport here? Since probably every single package arriving in Indonesia is likely to have goods of a value of more than $3 (except documents) then it means every single package is going to be taxed (except documents). That's a bit ridiculous. I wonder if this regulation is actually in effect.

Marcello Manganese wrote:
Gwmeath wrote:

As I said, starting from 01-01-2020, de minimis has been reduced to 3USD (previous was 75USD, never been 99.99 GBP), controls to some goods with small value are randomly, so u were just lucky,.

The £99.99 is equivalent in IDR as customs taxation is worked out on the in coming goods value, if no document from out going country the receiving country determans its value and tax rate, i use the £99.99 as i order most of my goods from the UK and during my order it states this amount for indonesia, all goods with an import taxation decleration are not lucky or missed they are checked off with a copy of said document being held by customs in indonedia
My shipments this year was 4 in January, 2 February, 2 March and one April, all had been close to £99.99, in value and all checked by customs all zero import tax, when i returned to indonesia in February from a trip to singapore i purchased x2 Batterys for my Motorbike, value $480 sg, checked by customs zero tax

Shill88 wrote:

Yes I have heard about expats moving to Indonesia and sending their stuff from their home country. I am one of them.

In fact, I moved here a few years ago from Malaysia having lived there for many years, and I moved half of my house contents, everything except for the big furniture. I mean every kind of kitchen appliance, home theater system, hundreds of music cd's, art and decoration, hifi system, children's toys, clothes, shoes, rugs, paintings, in fact just so much stuff. It was sent is groups of cartons, sometimes 10 cartons, sometimes 5, sometimes 20 boxes and so on. I paid zero import tax. But I can imagine how Customs would have to sort through my thousands of different items and find the tax category for each things, seems totally unfeasible.

However, this new regulation was supposed to take place starting 30th January 2020, so I do not know whether it is currently in effect or not.

Do you have personal experience or do you have friends that have personal experience in bringing in secondhand personal items with a value over $3 and who have been taxed?

I would just like to be clear on this matter, not that I am doubting you. The thing is, every single person entering Indonesia whether as an Indonesian citizen or an expat or as a tourist will definitely have things with a value of more than $3. By inspecting everyone's baggage and then calculating tax on anything with a value of more than $3 is going to be an impossible task. So does this new rule only apply to shipments or to people hand-carrying things when they arrive at an airport here? Since probably every single package arriving in Indonesia is likely to have goods of a value of more than $3 (except documents) then it means every single package is going to be taxed (except documents). That's a bit ridiculous. I wonder if this regulation is actually in effect.

This new rule only apply to shipments, hand carring goods at an aitpotr are frre-tax up to 250 USD per passenger and 1000USD per family.
I dont know personally people who have had personal experiences and neither do I, but I read many stories on others FB expats groups, and they all confirm that this new rule is applied.
I also think that de minimis 0f 3USD is ridiculus, but thats Indonesia.

Gwmeath wrote:
Gwmeath wrote:

The £99.99 is equivalent in IDR as customs taxation is worked out on the in coming goods value, if no document from out going country the receiving country determans its value and tax rate, i use the £99.99 as i order most of my goods from the UK and during my order it states this amount for indonesia, all goods with an import taxation decleration are not lucky or missed they are checked off with a copy of said document being held by customs in indonedia
My shipments this year was 4 in January, 2 February, 2 March and one April, all had been close to £99.99, in value and all checked by customs all zero import tax, when i returned to indonesia in February from a trip to singapore i purchased x2 Batterys for my Motorbike, value $480 sg, checked by customs zero tax

Custum taxtion is calculated on the value of the goods converted in USD, so Im not sure to understand what u are talking about, I just know that there is a relugation very clear, so if the custom never apply it to u, u must have a saint in paradise taking care for u.

Its quite simple really, but since you are having a hard time understanding ill try to explain
GBP (great british pound) is the currency of the united kingdom. Its the prefered currency of choice in the united kingdom, same currency i use when making a purchase online as stated in my previous comments
When i make an online order, the system tells me/ advice to keep value of goods below £99.99 to avoid import taxes, i also have to agree that any tax if over this value is paid by me, how the indonesian side calculate this from one currency to another has no interest to me as its GBP£ i pay with from my UK account
No saint looking after me nor everyone else who orders, certain goods are none taxable some have big tax, the tax you speak about is a true tax, however i advise on you further reading as many goods are not taxed and its more likely towards smaller business using a loop hole to avoid taxes, old system averaged about 25/30% tax, new is averaging about 20% but more people paying, having to pay, for ordinary customers like me and many others nothing has changed

Gwmeath wrote:

Its quite simple really, but since you are having a hard time understanding ill try to explain
GBP (great british pound) is the currency of the united kingdom. Its the prefered currency of choice in the united kingdom, same currency i use when making a purchase online as stated in my previous comments
When i make an online order, the system tells me/ advice to keep value of goods below £99.99 to avoid import taxes, i also have to agree that any tax if over this value is paid by me, how the indonesian side calculate this from one currency to another has no interest to me as its GBP£ i pay with from my UK account
No saint looking after me nor everyone else who orders, certain goods are none taxable some have big tax, the tax you speak about is a true tax, however i advise on you further reading as many goods are not taxed and its more likely towards smaller business using a loop hole to avoid taxes, old system averaged about 25/30% tax, new is averaging about 20% but more people paying, having to pay, for ordinary customers like me and many others nothing has changed

Im sorry, u can buy and pay good in GBP, Euro, wathever, but when the goods arrive to the Indonesia custom, to determinate the import tax, thay convert the value in GBP or wathever in USD, plus the expedition cost, so I really dont know how they talk about that limit of 99,99 GBP, but there are for sure few categories of good exempeted from tax, I will check wich are.
Moreover, when I buy goods online,  never happened that the system tell me about a limit I must no go over, just tell me to check the custom regulation in the Country where I will reiceve my goods and that any custom tax are my responsability.

Ill explain yet again for the last time as your boring the life out of me to be honest £99,99 is UK currency so how you cant understand that is totally baffling since you agree you can pay in any currency and a conversion later but for some reason you dont grasp the above, the amount is offered to me and the many others i know as an advisory note, ask indonesian authorities why this amount not me
Its Exactly how you say, its what ive said, the system is the websites i use in the UK, this offers an advisory note on amounts, youll probably find its ecommerce companies its targeted at and not general public,

Gwmeath wrote:

Ill explain yet again for the last time as your boring the life out of me to be honest £99,99 is UK currency so how you cant understand that is totally baffling since you agree you can pay in any currency and a conversion later but for some reason you dont grasp the above, the amount is offered to me and the many others i know as an advisory note, ask indonesian authorities why this amount not me
Its Exactly how you say, its what ive said, the system is the websites i use in the UK, this offers an advisory note on amounts, youll probably find its ecommerce companies its targeted at and not general public,

Im boring also to repeat always the same point, wich is how their syatem can indicate that amount of 99.99 GBP when in Indonesia de minimis is actually 3USD, imcluding the expedition cost, its wrong also conidering the previous de minimis of 75USD, hopefully Ive been clear now.
Aniway, I found this list of the goods exempted fron import taxes, they are very a few and not goods of common use (this list is dated 2017, I cant found any update, just a list of medical goods valid only for the covid-19 emergency).

https://kargo.tech/artikel/17-items-whi … indonesia/

Gwmeath wrote:

Im boring also to repeat always the same point, wich is how their syatem can indicate that amount of 99.99 GBP when in Indonesia de minimis is actually 3USD, imcluding the expedition cost, its wrong also conidering the previous de minimis of 75USD, hopefully Ive been clear now.
Aniway, I found this list of the goods exempted fron import taxes, they are very a few and not goods of common use (this list is dated 2017, I cant found any update, just a list of medical goods valid only for the covid-19 emergency).

So the list you post is useless just like your previous information, what use is the article when a law changed a few years later? Ive already written
E COMMERCE / companies, google it, it may explain in a very simple way so you may understand othereise you will just confuse yourself more the law you keep churping up about has very little to the general public

My wife has a friend who is quite senior in the Customs Dept and he tends to follow what Marcello is saying. I too read the online articles and gathered that it is targeting e-Commerce businesses and companies that are importing to sell again in the local market, but the wife's friend is saying that for packages (not just shipments) coming into the country they will tax almost anything coming into the country now and that the minimum was indeed reduced from $75 down to $3. She mentioned golf clubs and personal used effects and he said that it will still be taxed. It sounds really crazy to be so strict, but then what a huge source of income for the authorities. I also think they might be figuring in the shipping costs into their calculations too....hope I'm wrong.

Personally I hope that some customs officers allow a certain amount of discretion and I really hope that my wife misunderstood what her friend was saying. I might order something from the British Corner Shop just to see what happens.

Gwmeath wrote:
Gwmeath wrote:

So the list you post is useless just like your previous information, what use is the article when a law changed a few years later? Ive already written
E COMMERCE / companies, google it, it may explain in a very simple way so you may understand othereise you will just confuse yourself more the law you keep churping up about has very little to the general public

Shill88 already reaplied to u, so now u know that the one useless and confuse is just u!!!
I suggest to to delte ur post, wich is an offense to the common sense and totally weong.
Have a nice time.

Gwmeath wrote:

Shill88 already reaplied to u, so now u know that the one useless and confuse is just u!!!
I suggest to to delte ur post, wich is an offense to the common sense and totally weong.
Have a nice time.

No i wont delete and until either shows evidence of your claims your both full of Bull, my mate in the local bar knows this other bloke says his mates sister says your wrong, cmon
Show evidence, offended? Good, weong? Jeeez you offend yourself 🤣

Shill88 wrote:

My wife has a friend who is quite senior in the Customs Dept and he tends to follow what Marcello is saying. I too read the online articles and gathered that it is targeting e-Commerce businesses and companies that are importing to sell again in the local market, but the wife's friend is saying that for packages (not just shipments) coming into the country they will tax almost anything coming into the country now and that the minimum was indeed reduced from $75 down to $3. She mentioned golf clubs and personal used effects and he said that it will still be taxed. It sounds really crazy to be so strict, but then what a huge source of income for the authorities. I also think they might be figuring in the shipping costs into their calculations too....hope I'm wrong.

Personally I hope that some customs officers allow a certain amount of discretion and I really hope that my wife misunderstood what her friend was saying. I might order something from the British Corner Shop just to see what happens.

First part is correct, rest is wrong, your source is incorrect, its to ecommerce, not joe ordinary, but evidence would be welcome, without it its more BS your posting thats not helpful

Thanks Gwmeath.

I too thought Marcello's original post sounded highly unlikely. The customs officer is someone very senior, his wife is one of my wife's university friends and I am really hoping that there is a misunderstanding, but, my wife specifically called him to get clarification on this matter. It's actually not a friend of a friend at a bar. But I will try to clarify this again with him as I don't want to see you two at each others throats.

In the meantime, can you send a link to the official site that states that this tax is only for eCommerce importers and not for the general public as that would clear up this matter once and for all.

https://jakartaglobe.id/business/indone … line-shops

Not official site, but goverment officials are quoted, absolutely no mention of joe public paying tax and strangely ive had packages sent from the UK keeping under £99.99 to avoide import tax
On the flip side maybe you can share a link showing joe public pays tax over $3

Im at no, i find it strange that an adult cant grasp the concept that if you order goods from a different county you pay in that country, you evodence or should i day lack of it is just a whisper, if true, this so called senior officer could surely direct us all to a website, i smell more BS

Look, this is between you and Marcello and I do not want to get drawn into your argument. As I said, I hope you are right because if it is the contrary it would be ridiculous.

I just realized that I received a backpack and key ring via UPS from the USA. I seem to recall the value on the package was $20 or $30 and it was delivered to me here on 26th June 2020. I followed the tracking from the US to Japan and then South Korea and Hong Kong and then Singapore until it reached Jakarta and eventually delivered to my home address. There were no delays in Jakarta and there was no tax to pay.

Gwmeath wrote:
Gwmeath wrote:

Have a nice time.

No i wont delete and until either shows evidence of your claims your both full of Bull, my mate in the local bar knows this other bloke says his mates sister says your wrong, cmon
show evidence, offended? Good, weong? Jeeez you offend yourself 🤣

well, u ask to me to show an edidence, wich I alredy did, while, u say u cant link an official source to confirm what u claim, so u are just making a personal assumption without any foundation, are u serious?
Anyway, here is another link that explain very well that de minimis of 3% is referred to ALL shipments imported into Indonesia.
https://janio.asia/articles/indonesia-d … importers/
Even if u are native English speaker, it seems that sometimes u find it hard to understand what u read, so I try to explain something to u like is used to do with children.
This regulation is not made just for e-commerce, but for all B2C shipments (Business to Custtomer), and e-commerce is one of the goal, to reduce purchases from abroad and favored the encrease of sales of Indonesian producers.
End of the story, u can say what u want, even if u dont have any prove, but u cant change the reality!!!

oh dear gwenath, I just foind this web site made specifically  to explain to the kids how it works the new de minimis, through simple comics, so also u can understand it.

https://muda.kompas.id/baca/2020/01/30/ … or-barang/

Thanks Marcello, that is informative and helpful. It also states that all scientific books of any value, postcards, letters and documents are exempt from import duties and PDRI import tax. Sadly almost everything else isn't which is a shame.

oh dear gwenath, I just foind this web site made specifically  to explain to the kids how it works the new de minimis, through simple comics, so also u can understand it.

Key word ECOMMERCE, but no prize butter cup, maybe you should read the article first

Gwmeath wrote:

Key word ECOMMERCE, but no prize butter cup, maybe you should read the article first

As I said, u read but dont understand, e-commerce is the target, but de mininimun of 3% is related to all the goods entering in Indonesia!!!
Pay attention, ur limit of 99,99GBP, under wich goods are not taxed is never mentioned anywere, wich means that exist only in ur fantasy, but u are welcome to post a link to an official source to prove that its true.
Wait, u said u cannot provide an official source, so how it called a statement that cannot be proven? lemmi think... I got it!!! Its called a... Well, u know how.

Ecommerce (online companies) and your official source is what? The £99.99 wont be mentioned as you say its calculated in $, and the £99.99 i use is because i used a uk account to make a uk purchase from a uk company within the UK, nor is it mentioned in €,¥ etc the 'all goods' is for ecommerce companies only that have used a loophole to avoide tax, the article does not mention individual "ordinary customers' but ecommerce companies only, your comments have zero relation to the OP as for one, its private property, not for resale, nor as far as the post suggests a registered company, none of is related to your comments, now if it was an individual company etc your comment would be welcome, however since it has zero relation to 'golf clubs' how is it relative?
I have zero idea why the system on the website i use in the UK states £99.99 max, but i know its accurate till march/april this year, maybe its a global agreement, country to country agreement i actually dont care but i do know i amongst numerous expats here dont pay tax with this amount, probably due to the fact none of us are ecommerce compaines as stated in articles

Gwmeath wrote:

Ecommerce (online companies) and your official source is what? The £99.99 wont be mentioned as you say its calculated in $, and the £99.99 i use is because i used a uk account to make a uk purchase from a uk company within the UK, nor is it mentioned in €,¥ etc the 'all goods' is for ecommerce companies only that have used a loophole to avoide tax, the article does not mention individual "ordinary customers' but ecommerce companies only, your comments have zero relation to the OP as for one, its private property, not for resale, nor as far as the post suggests a registered company, none of is related to your comments, now if it was an individual company etc your comment would be welcome, however since it has zero relation to 'golf clubs' how is it relative?
I have zero idea why the system on the website i use in the UK states £99.99 max, but i know its accurate till march/april this year, maybe its a global agreement, country to country agreement i actually dont care but i do know i amongst numerous expats here dont pay tax with this amount, probably due to the fact none of us are ecommerce compaines as stated in articles

I already post the answer to the OP, wich is that also second hands goods sent to Indonesia are subject to custum tax.
U start to to talk about that ridicolous limit of 99.99 GBP that is supposed to be applied at the indonesia custom, wich dont exsiist, and u are not able to provide an official source just because dont exist, so stop spread fake news!!! Obviously u dunno what u are taliking about, u can pay ur goods in GBP, and when they arrive to the indonesian custum, it will be converting in USD, and they add to the cost of the goods also shipping fees and ensurance and the total is the taxable amount, if it exeeds 3USD, u MUST pay tax!!!
Moreover, also ur statement about de minimis of 3% wich is apllied only to the e-commerce company is a fake, u can read cleary in my link that is applied to all the shipments entering in Indonesia, precisally the B2C sector (Business to Costumer, which includes all forms of purchase, not only e-commerce) , opefully u can understand what it mean.
Anyway, here is a simple example:
when de minimis was 75USD, sometimes I bought 2 KG of Parmiggiano Reggiano directly from an italian diary, wich cleary is not e-commerce, and I, including shipping fees, I could stay below de minimis and dont pay custom tax.
Then I did it when de minimis was changed to 3USD and I didnt know it yet and I must paid import tax, and of course, my goods still not coming from a transaction with a e-commerce company,  hopefully I been clear.
The fact that friends of friends at the bar says that they dont pay import tax is not really a serious argument.
Now people here have all the necessary information to undestand what is real because its documented and whats its a fake because who state that cant provide any official source.
Ciao Ciao