VISA/Immigration solutions

Hello! My name is Brandon! I am from the US. I will be moving to Tana soon after the country re-opens for travel!

My fiance (Malagasy) and I plan to marry very soon after I arrive, and I need to know if there are any ways or loopholes which will allow me to avoid having to leave after my 90 day tourist visa expires. Do they strictly enforce detention or deportation for VISA holders who overstay?

I am currently in Serbia and technically VISA holders are also supposed to leave after 90 days but they dont enforce this hardly!

I am looking to meet with an immigration lawyer soon after I arrive, so any recommendations for good ones is very much appreciated!

Thank you all for your time!

They do enforce the 90-day visa here in Madagascar.  When I first came here some 18 years ago I had to leave the country every 90 days and went to Mauritius to renew my visa.

Hi Alex,

Is that still the case in Madagascar nowadays? I mean that you just can leave the country and come back?

Thanks in advance!

Ann

Anne Marie66 wrote:

Hi Alex,

Is that still the case in Madagascar nowadays? I mean that you just can leave the country and come back?

Thanks in advance!

Ann

I can not say for sure if the rules have changed, but I also have not heard that you cannot make the trip to collect your new visa several times a year.  You really need to contact the embassy in your country to find out the new regulations.

Yes it is still enforced. And now even more so with the efforts they are putting forth to crack down on corruption.  Once you are married however you must return to your home country to get your long term visa if that's what you are looking to do.

Shatorade wrote:

Yes it is still enforced. And now even more so with the efforts they are putting forth to crack down on corruption.  Once you are married however you must return to your home country to get your long term visa if that's what you are looking to do.

That must be a new regulation to have to return to your home country.   as when I was married I did not have to do that but that was 18 years ago. Do you understand the reasoning for that regulation?  I assume that is for the first Visa which is 3 months or 1 year?

Sorry I didn't really explain this correctly ..... before my husband and I were married I was visiting madagascar on a tourist visa (3 months max at that time)  When me and my husband were married 3 years ago I qualified to apply for a transformable visa under the category of family reunion.  After we were married my tourist visa was approaching it's expiration of 90 days and I didn't want to just up and leave after we were married.  Anyway first I asked the Ministère if they could give me residence or a long-term visa because I was married to a malagasy citizen.  Here is where I didn't explain myself correctly.  It wasn't required to leave to apply for a long-term visa however they told me I need a "transformable visa".  It is only issued by the malagasy embassy located in the Washington DC.  You have to send your originalpassport and civil documents to them and  and they stamp the passport and send it back to you.  At that point you have 3 months to enter madagascar on your transformable visa and begin the process of acquiring your long-term visa and carte de residence.... At that time my Visa was too close to send my passport from Mada all the way to the US and wait for them to give me a visa.  I also didn't have any of my civil documents with me.  And I just didn't feel comfortable sending my actual passport all the way to the US while abroad (just my personal feeling) .  Anyway I searched and begged to find a way to extend my tourist visa with no luck.  Of course my Visa was soon to expire so I just had to go back to US.  After that everything was pretty easy except for the bureaucracy of actually getting the paperwork completed was annoying ... But everyone I asked were telling me whatever you do don't stay beyond your visa. If someone had a different experience I can't speak for them or the methods they used but this is my experience directly through the Ministère of foreign affairs .   It's so difficult being married to someone of another country.  To me it's worth it but it takes so much patience.  I hope this helps

Shatorade wrote:

Sorry I didn't really explain this correctly ..... before my husband and I were married I was visiting madagascar on a tourist visa (3 months max at that time)  When me and my husband were married 3 years ago I qualified to apply for a transformable visa under the category of family reunion.  After we were married my tourist visa was approaching it's expiration of 90 days and I didn't want to just up and leave after we were married.  Anyway first I asked the Ministère if they could give me residence or a long-term visa because I was married to a malagasy citizen.  Here is where I didn't explain myself correctly.  It wasn't required to leave to apply for a long-term visa however they told me I need a "transformable visa".  It is only issued by the malagasy embassy located in the Washington DC.  You have to send your originalpassport and civil documents to them and  and they stamp the passport and send it back to you.  At that point you have 3 months to enter madagascar on your transformable visa and begin the process of acquiring your long-term visa and carte de residence.... At that time my Visa was too close to send my passport from Mada all the way to the US and wait for them to give me a visa.  I also didn't have any of my civil documents with me.  And I just didn't feel comfortable sending my actual passport all the way to the US while abroad (just my personal feeling) .  Anyway I searched and begged to find a way to extend my tourist visa with no luck.  Of course my Visa was soon to expire so I just had to go back to US.  After that everything was pretty easy except for the bureaucracy of actually getting the paperwork completed was annoying ... But everyone I asked were telling me whatever you do don't stay beyond your visa. If someone had a different experience I can't speak for them or the methods they used but this is my experience directly through the Ministère of foreign affairs .   It's so difficult being married to someone of another country.  To me it's worth it but it takes so much patience.  I hope this helps

So where are you and your Husband living now?

Now we are in Tana. But I still maintain my US address so we can go back

Good explanation Shartorade.