Best cities to rent a house in Cavite or Laguna?

Hi everyone,

I’m about to move to Luzon. I’ve wondering which province to choose for renting a house. I’d like a quiet place as I work at home. As Metro Manila is too crowded and expensive, I’ve been thinking settling in Cavite or Laguna which seem quieter and cheaper.
Which cities would you recommend?

In Cavite, Bacoor, General Trias and Dasmariñas are cheap according to Numbeo (a 3 bedroom apartment costs under $150) but maybe too urbanized and not that safe. Tagaytay is probably safer but more expensive. Los Baños and Calamba in Laguna are cheap too. Santa Rosa is often quoted as a nice place to live, quiet and rather safe. But it’s  a bit more expensive than other cities in Laguna due to tourism probably. Of course all these cities are big and I suppose there are big differences in terms of safety and quietness between subdivisions in one city.

Thanks for your answers and inputs

Sebastien

Dasmariñas would be my pick of those choices! Under $150 not going to happen! Unless safety is no concern!! Nice gated subdivision closer to SM Mall like Metrogate is worth your time to check out!
https://www.metrogatedasma.com/

I would stay away from Tagaytay unless you like ash.

lasvegan :

Sebastien

Dasmariñas would be my pick of those choices! Under $150 not going to happen! Unless safety is no concern!! Nice gated subdivision closer to SM Mall like Metrogate is worth your time to check out!
https://www.metrogatedasma.com/

Thanks Lasvegan for your answer. But it rather sounds like an advertising post. I don’t look for renting a house in an expensive gated community where your so-called safety is made at the expense of your freedom and your wallet. I first look for a quiet place.

AaronAardvark :

It’s somewhat obscure. Can you be more specific?

SebastienC11 :
AaronAardvark :

It’s somewhat obscure. Can you be more specific?

You have a good view of a recently active volcano, plenty of ash for all the neighbors.

Taal is still an active level one alert status volcano that erupted in January 2020! The east side of Tagaytay is the top of the original caldera! Ground shaking occurred yesterday! Check it out on You Tube so you really understand what we're telling you! Definitely not a good place to start your stay here! Once you have a better understanding from visiting it a few times over a number of months you will know what you're gonna live with!
If you want a nice very quiet subdivision with all price ranges try plantacion meridienne southwest of Lipa City on the road to Tagaytay! I lived there for 6 months at 18k pesos for a 4 bedroom fully furnished house! Plenty of amenities and a local shopping strip at the entrance to the subdivision! Very friendly people!

here's a link to a few drone flights over Plantacion Merrideinne

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= … SEARCH_BOX

Lasvegan,
Thanks for the information. Tagaytay is also not a good place to start for another reason: it’s getting touristy and expensive. Your facebook link is broken by the way.
Are you currently living in San Jose? How’s the life there?

Sabastien

Sorry about the link! No I'm not in San Jose! San Jose is a nice community and very quiet and just off the beaten path so to speak! Once Jeepney's back on the road San Jose is one of the intercity stops and that is a great benefit there! At least prior to the Coronavirus! BTW where are you living now? Internet service that is reliable is harder to find in these smaller areas!

Hi Sebastien and welcome to the forum, some great info here but if I could ask why the closer proximity to Manila? Unless you intend to fly in/out regularly there are plenty of places further afield that offer inexpensive living around Luzon, Visayas or Mindanao.
If you are working from home then to me that says internet is a big one and if you are into graphics or other large programs then reliability and speed are important and then some. We are 5 plus hours drive north of Manila and have Globe at home [at]PHP 1500 per month, we watch Netflix, stream youtube, music and never a problem, no lags or buffering.
Tagaytay is expensive and has been touristy for years and as you know will escalate, there are plenty of places further afield that are safe, inexpensive and have good internet as well as reliable power supplies.
Where we live we have no fences, (yet) we are on the beach, it is quiet, safe and mostly all in our area keep to themselves. Internet 99% good until the power goes out about once a month and we are notified through FB of the date and time for maintenance and make other plans. Hit the shopping malls.
We do lock the doors at night but have no bars on the windows same as our neighbours and nary an issue. According to our Barangay Capitan we are left alone as the locals believe we have guns,,,,,,,, Doh.

Anyway depending on what you need and to secure will come with research, what you need and what you are prepared to put up with/accept.
Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers, Steve.

Yup! Steve is 100% right on the north and central parts of Luzon are great for everything you're looking for!

lasvegan :

Sabastien

Sorry about the link! No I'm not in San Jose! San Jose is a nice community and very quiet and just off the beaten path so to speak! Once Jeepney's back on the road San Jose is one of the intercity stops and that is a great benefit there! At least prior to the Coronavirus! BTW where are you living now? Internet service that is reliable is harder to find in these smaller areas!

Lasvegan,
I’m currently living in cebu.
Concerning internet service problem, do you have small cities in mind? Or are you talking about San Jose in particular?

bigpearl

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your detailed message.
I need to be not too far from MM for professional purpose because of my clients. Let’s say within 3-4 hour drive.
You bring up a good point about internet service. Indeed I need a reliable internet. Good to know that even in a quite small city as Banoctan, internet service is good and not expensive (PHP 1,500).
Do you use a UPS for power supply?
You say there are plenty of safe and inexpensive places further afield than Tagaytay. Can you.give some examples based on your experience?

Sebastien, I know Manila was not for us after a year in a condo, My better half was working there at the time, as for 3 or 4 hours away, no experience. I worked in Paniman Cam Sur for 6 months, very quiet but access is difficult, the Cagayan Valley also for 6 months. These places and where we live now permanently are too far for your needs.
I believe there are some good areas around Subic Bay or closer to Manila I am sure there are plenty of good areas around Angeles City even Pampanga. You also have Clarke international airport close by there.
I am sure there are plenty of members that live in these areas that can offer help and advice.

What type of business are you running and what are your needs to make sure it runs smoothly?
Another Question, how much time have you spent in the Philippines and what are your long term goals if you don't mind me asking?

No we don't bother with a UPS nor a generator, Gen set down the track maybe but I really can't justify the cost. perhaps a small one to run fans and the fridge only. We do have surge guards for all electronics and to date have never lost any equipment. Also we are not running a business in PH.

Good luck and I hope others will chime in with advice on their areas.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Steve for your feedback.
Indeed the places you mention are too far for what I expect. I didn’t keep Pampanga or Zambales provinces on my list considering these are too expensive.
I’ll answer your personal questions by PM.

Given the amount of expats, mostly US expats, leaving the phils at the moment, we can expect the rent prices to come down.
What’s your perspective on that?

The expats and tourists that I know, myself included, are leaving because they do it every year.  I had to stay two extra months, and I know a tourist having trouble getting back to USA from Cebu.  None of the people I know are permanently relocating out of the Philippines, don't think it will affect real estate prices much at all.  Peso dipping to under 50 per dollar could have more power in the long run.

Sebastien, mugtech is correct, many expats live in 2 countries, myself included though now we sold the farm I have no real desire to return apart from work for 5 months a year and seriously doubt that will happen, my return flight was booked back in late Feb for mid August return and that probably won't happen,,,,,, you are seeing lots of feed back here with expats returning to their chosen countries because it is difficult to achieve now due to C-19 and all are looking for info, normally you would not hear about their flights/returns. BTW if I was a US citizen wanting to return given what's happening there now? (OMO)

As for rent prices? Dream on. I notice in your OP that rent is less that $150.00, is that US dollars per month or week for a 3 bed apartment?
We had a 3 bed 3 bath apartment, 81M2 (the 3rd bed and bath were maids quarters and you couldn't swing a cat in there, became our junk/storage room [at] 6ft x 8ft) we were in San Lazero Sta Cruz, google it, not a great area but safe enough and all services close by. PHP 25K per month negotiated down from 30K for a 12 month lease and that was 8 years ago. (45 to 60 minutes from the airport)
I am curious if you have been to the Philippines and if so how much time have you spent here.
I will tell you that the only reason I am here is for my partner, the Philippines is certainly not the cheapest place in the world to live unless you live like a local earning US 2 to 300 bucks a month and live in the conditions thrust upon them.
For us we budget PHP 70K per month, we own our house, car and bikes and live what I would call an average lifestyle, we don't work apart from on the property and that's pretty relaxed, it's half the price or better than living in Oz but there are a plethora of places that are a quarter to a third of the price.

Sorry for the rant but if you have never been here you need to get your hands dirty and taste the flavours. If you have spent some months or years here already then I and others are curious to hear your experiences.

Cheers, Steve.

Cavite doesn't have a good reputation for crime. Laguna seems ok. We live in San Pablo but enjoy a short trip to Lipa for the shops. Calamba looks good to. Best you spend a day at each place and see how you feel. We prefer somewhere that has a centre and where you can stroll round, even a good market!  Driven through St Rosa and some high price sub divisions but nothing to shout about. Some of these places are mere "areas" to live in and stretch for miles. Have a drive round.