A New Spring in Malta

Hello all,

I retired and moved to the island this year in February and promptly ended up spending springtime in lockdown in the family homestead with my brother and ailing 93 year-old father in Rabat. I've had the chance under the current curious circumstance of revisiting my roots. You see I was born in Malta in the double nickel year and emigrated 42 years ago in 1977 when I was 22 years old. When I asked Dad to move back (to his basement) his repartee was that he always knew I would never amount to much.

I have been exploring Maltese cuisine. The cooking videos of the Euro cooking Canuk that go by the title of Memories of Malta on YouTube are especially charming. Along with my sister and her husband  I explore the countryside of the Rabat area and of Gozo. Our goal is to hike a loop never retracing the same route, a challenge handicapped by intense drivers, no entry signs and fervent hunters.

Stay well and enjoy Malta

Markangel
June 11, 2020 :)

Hello Markangel, welcome among us and thank you for this heartful testimony !

Where you in the US after leaving for Malta 42 years ago ? What made you coming back ?

If you have still posts like these, I will be happy to read them.

Regards

Loïc
Expat.com Team

Hi Loic,

Thanks for the interest.

I left Malta, without hesitation like so many other cloistered islanders all those years ago to discover the world of freedom imagined, first for the UK and then three years onward for the US.  Moving westward I lived in Boston a few subway stops from the Atlantic, then in Chicago's south side Hyde Park with close-up moonrise views of Lake Michigan, large enough to seem a  sea, and for the past thirty years in the Central Valley of Northern California in a sea of farmland, the world's bread basket, a few hours and a world away from the Pacific ocean and it's Golden Gate.

It is the Mediterranean that enticed me back to Malta. Islanders are captive to the sea.

Markangel