Is marriage possible if application with SEF is still pending?

Hi there.  I am a Canadian citizen residing in Canada.  My fiance is a Pakistani national currently working in Portugal. He has a contract and pays taxes. He has a valid passport. He is in the process of obtaining his residence/ work permit and his application is pending with SEF. We wish to marry, but do we need to wait for his residence/ permit process in Portugal to finish before being able to marry? If so what documents would be required?

Hi,

Nope, so long you're respecting your both embassy's requirements for mariage.

I recently spoke with a wedding planner who said we should submit all documents to register to marry,  but foreign affairs may block the request if they think this is a "marriage of convenience" (since we're both long distance). Is there any way to prevent this in advance or anything additionally we should submit when we put in the request?

Your wedding planner would do well to think a bit before you say something. You are both foreigners in Portugal. To get married, you must comply with your respective laws in terms of legal documents.

Portugal is just there to formalize your union. It is only afterwards if you, as a Canadian, apply for a residence visa in Portugal, this will lead to other procedures and requests for official documents.

And for your Pakistani companion, it does not change anything in his chances of obtaining or not the authorization to stay in Portugal. The only thing he will have to do is prove that he has the necessary financial means and a suitable home to ensure you a decent life.