Moving to Vietnam in July

I moving to Vietnam in July from Canada. .do I need to only buy a one way plane ticket?

Hello JohnfromCanaf01,

I've created a topic just for you so you would have more specific answers to your question :)

Wishing you a nice day.

Regards.

Loïc
Expat.Com Team

JohnfromCanaf01 wrote:

I moving to Vietnam in July from Canada. .do I need to only buy a one way plane ticket?

It depends on the airline you connect to on your trip.

For instance, I flew Delta airlines from Seattle, Washington to Seoul, South Korea, connecting to Vietnam Airlines into Hanoi.

Delta required that I either had my visa (adhesive in passport or loose-leaf version) OR, have my Visa On Arrival approval letter.

In general, Vietnam does NOT require you to purchase your continuing travel out of the country.

However, there are reports that some other airlines (Chinese) do require you to have the ticket purchased for the next leg of your journey when you will be departing Vietnam.

Even if you have a visa, if it is a 30 or 90 day visa some airlines may require a round trip ticket (or as they say in the UK, a return ticket.)  I believe that this is based on some international agreements that will make them take you away at airline expense if you are expelled by the destination country for overstaying and don't have a ticket out.

The bigger issue than the ticket is whether you will even be allowed into the country.  Have they lifted restrictions that I am not aware of or is it scheduled to be done by July?

I spoke this morning to my future employer in VN,
Advised that it's likely people entering after July 1st will have to be quarantined for 14 days (either in a Government establishment - military base hospital or similar? or a hotel at their own expense), AND THEN have to self-isolate for a further 14 days.
If one has accommodation the second 14 days could be OK, otherwise having to pay for 28 days in a hotel or airbnb could be pricey.
The above could of course vary depending on ones country of origin. For me Italy so I'm not too hopeful.

I've never, ever heard mention of a second 14 day quarantine, home or otherwise.  I think July 1 is very optimistic for "non key" visitors.  Also, Italy is specifically banned at this time.

To staunch the spread of COVID-19, Vietnam is not allowing entry or issuing visas to foreign nationals, from March 22 until further notice, except for those travelling for official or diplomatic purposes, who must undergo medical checks and 14-day quarantine upon arrival in Vietnam.

Vietnam has officially suspended all visa exemptions for citizens of South Korea, Belarus, Russia, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy.

SteinNebraska wrote:

I've never, ever heard mention of a second 14 day quarantine, home or otherwise.  I think July 1 is very optimistic for "non key" visitors.  Also, Italy is specifically banned at this time.

To staunch the spread of COVID-19, Vietnam is not allowing entry or issuing visas to foreign nationals, from March 22 until further notice, except for those travelling for official or diplomatic purposes, who must undergo medical checks and 14-day quarantine upon arrival in Vietnam.

Vietnam has officially suspended all visa exemptions for citizens of South Korea, Belarus, Russia, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy.

I read on the chinhphu site, Highlights section,  that Evisa will be issued to citizens of 80 countries from July. Italy is included. Excepting the confused grammar, I must be missing something.
During my call today with VN, they advised that this year's student cohort has just arrived from S. Korea.

Sorry the grammmar was cut and paste. 

Even though evisas have been approved for 80 countries they don't say that they will start issuing them on July 1, just that they are approved.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Sorry the grammmar was cut and paste. 

Even though evisas have been approved for 80 countries they don't say that they will start issuing them on July 1, just that they are approved.

Ooh they are a tease, aren't they?

I was referring to the grammar of the Gov't site

Even if they issue visas it doesn't mean the border will be open.

cruisemonkey wrote:

Even if they issue visas it doesn't mean the border will be open.

That's what I was getting at.  There are a LOT of people with valid or current visas issued in many countries that can't enter.

If you're able to get to VN in July and if they need you to show a ticket leaving VN, you can always purchase a throw away ticket. Link might be under review for a bit

bestonwardticket dot com

https://bestonwardticket.com/

Even if e-visa are granted for 80 countries, it doesn't mean at all that borders will reopen. For now, nobody knows when...

Vietnamese government is speaking about defining "safe" regions and areas which means low risk countries (at least 30 days without any new case). And it should be more likely Asian countries.

Have a look at this link.
http://news.chinhphu.vn/Home/Govt-mulls … /40414.vgp

I really late arrival here, but wanted to say I appreciate all the great updates from all on this topic.  If anyone gets any further, would appreciate the info.  I am from the US and like so many waiting to take a trip to som3 country in SE Asia at this point.  Had to can cancel my 2 1/2 month trip back in March.

Also, wanted to thanks for the nice, polite back and forth on this conversation.  Sometimes people get very snooty with people when we are all in the same boat and there is just so much misinformation from some of these outside news sources.  So again, really appreciate the nice level of communication.  Bobby

Story about the typos...smile

Andre34 wrote:

Vietnamese government is speaking about defining "safe" regions and areas which means low risk countries (at least 30 days without any new case). And it should be more likely Asian countries.

On the obverse side, any objective evaluation would result in travelers from the US being denied entry to most anywhere.  I saw this being suggested by a US public health professional just today.  After all, the US has among the highest rates of infection in both absolute and per capita numbers and these are climbing rapidly in several regions of the country.  Likely only the economic clout of the US and the fear of retaliation is all that stops other countries from barring US travelers absolutely.

Can i ask where in Canada do you live? I am Canadian also, Ottawa area.

You say you will be moving, will you be doing digital work there?

I went to Vietnam last summer and really enjoyed my time there.

smithsfallsgirl wrote:

Can i ask where in Canada do you live?

To see another's profile, move your cursor over their avatar.  A box will emerge.  Then click on the avatar in the box.  You can see that the individual in question is from Vancouver.

Thanks for the info, but as an American that is not a hard leap and I would consider that an opinion.  I am looking for updates from the governments not peoples perspective.  We do have a lot of cases, no doubt, but it might be that we are just being one of the “honest” countries.   But I do appreciate the response, just looking for facts instead!  Bobby

I received this reply from Vietnamese Embassy in London last Friday.

“ We cannot process any new visa application at the moment. Everything has been suspended until further notice. Thank you.”

US citizen here.  We are far from being an "honest" country about Covid-19.  Florida is underreporting.  Lots of states are underreporting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 … 111871488/

Hi,well good luck with your move,but as of today the borders are not open yet,i have a Temporary Residency card and was unfortunate enough to be in Australia when they shut the borders down,i cant get back !!! they are not receiving visitors as far as i know,i received an e mail from the Vietnamese embassy last week and they did not give a date for re opening the borders.

NomadBob123 wrote:

I am looking for updates from the governments not peoples perspective.

In that case you might consider looking at this thread instead:   https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=888733

Yes I am in same boat, married to Vietnamese woman, have my marriage Visa exemption and had same reply from Vietnam embassy here in Canada.  As of yet no information on border reopening.  Rumour from the locals in Vietnam is July 1, but the rumour a month ago was the new year, so take with a grain of salt.