Pre-stages of moving

Hi to all,
We are in the early stages of moving to Melbourne :)
with my husband working in the city, what would be a good neighborhood? I was looking at Hawthorn?? on rent we are thinking to spend around $500 a week.. Would we get something good, Two or three bedrooms would be enough?

Then the most important issue for me is schooling for our 12 year old son, he is an incoming 7th grader (in the USA) not sure what that is in Melbourne.. Any suggestions on good public or private schools (does any school have a strong soccer program).

And the last question what club has the best youth soccer program, our son is a passionate soccer player, we don't mind to travel to any club..

Thank you for any help...

G'day,

Cannot be of much help but was wondering if you got any feedback yet as I'm struggling with give/take same queries , planning to move down there later this year (fall 2011).
Need to be close enough to Commercial District (Collins street in my case) or near reliable public transport within say 30 minutes range. Schooling is also key, primary and secondary requirements (I seem to have to get used to idea they'll be in uniform but that's okay). Love to rent a house within 500/600 AUD/week ballpark but apartment is fine too as long as it's spacious enough for us and the two kids. I'm assuming universal truth of closer to city center = more $'s but want to be sure I end up in a decent neighborhood w/o the need for "posh".

Cheers

Rik