Moving soon to Malaysia

Planning to apply for MM2h or equivalent programs to move and live with my family I'm 48 years old married man with two kids from IRAQ, any Advices?

Hello Faraidon and welcome to expat.com !

I'm Loïc from the moderation team and it's a pleasure to meet you !

There are numerous topics about MM2h like this one >  Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H).

I'm sure you will find useful tips in these topics, don't hesitate to search them on the forum ;).

Also, about the expatriation itself, you will find lots of info in our Living in Malaysia Guide !

I really hope that will help you in your project !

Wishing you a good weekend :)

Regards.

Loïc
Expat.com Team

Thank you Loic i appreciate your support

Can I ask you, do you plan to work in Malaysia during your stay or is it more like retirement? Apart from the Fixed Deposit, one of the requirements is proof of a regular income from overseas of I believe Rm10k per month.

Hello
yes i'm plan to open my business if is OKnot working i plan to invest in Real estate or something like that

You'll need to check with others on whether you can work or not, the rules may have changed since I was under MM2H. You can easily invest in real estate with or without having MM2H especially if you are a cash buyer. I started in 2003/4 by buying apartments in Kuala Lumpur with cash but later with loans of 50% or 60% based on no income documents, but those conditions have almost certainly changed. Also, the market has been stagnant for a number of years.

After recent events simply don't. The Malaysian government has undone 30 years of goodwill to foreigners by acting xenophobic over allowing long term Visa holders back to their homes.

Also investing in property now? Mad. Prices are super inflated and Malaysia is 60% an oil economy (including secondary spending). That's collapsed and will be down for a few years at least. The Malaysian government has squandered its oil on corruption and not built a sovereign wealth fund like Norway. Serious issues are ahead. Rent is best for staying in Malaysia.

faraidon wrote:

Hello
yes i'm plan to open my business if is OKnot working i plan to invest in Real estate or something like that

if you are applying via MM2H, there may be restriction on setting your business there.  The website only talks about the restriction working there.  You can send them an email to ask for more information   http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/

You need to be aware that MM2H gives you only 10-year tourist visa with which you can enter and leave Malaysia freely.  It is not a permanent residence card.  Every 10 years, you have to renew it, and theoretically they will check if you still meet all the requirements (wealth, income, health status, etc).
Also, they have changed the policy from time to time over the years.  How the program will evolve under the new government is a question.

thank you