British family wanting to relocate

Hello dear Ex-pats.
I'm Sammi with a family of 5. We have made the 1st step in the decision to pack up and relocate to either Malaysia or Indonesia.

We want to make the big move and live off grid, preferably buying (leasing) a small island but not too far from a township.

To build our own house plus whatever else is needed to make a home.

We have a 5 year plan to settle our affairs in the UK, find and buy a island, build the buildings, find schooling for the kids and then to move in.

The kids are aged 2, 7 and 9 so by the time we make it the eldest 2 will be in secondary education. We have thought about home schooling but that might be a bit too much to chew but we are keeping all options open.

We are at the very early stages of our intended relocation so any and all advice would be absolutely great and highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and hope to chat to u guys soon

Sammi
We have 3 kids

Number one thing to consider is proper schooling and general education for your kids.
Now, of course if you're a billionaire thats easily sorted.
If you're not, step off your dreamcloud and think about them.

Oh dude!! You're magic, you are.. Exactly what we need, advice from the experienced.

Wifey and I wanted to do this when we 1st got married 13yrs ago but then we were blessed to have children and had to rejig plans. Now with Covid messing up everything and future looking bleak here, we thinking time is here to take a punt with a simpler way to life.

I just cant fit into the Social Media World of disrespect, to the point that I'm willing to endure cyclones and give the kids a chance of having a real life rather then a virtual life.

We are muslim so the schooling hopefully will be a little easier although we are far from rich and income will be from rental of our home.

Although wifey and I are ethnically from the Sub Continent but very much and primarily British so we would like to be part of the Ex Pat crew.

I would greatly appreciate some info relating to sponsorship but we have no1 in Indonesia and only acquaintances in Malaysia.

Thank you again for your time

Regards
Sammi

They have been our primary thought as always from their birth, and because of them we have come back to this decision.

The world will never be the way it was. It's already miserable here in the UK, people are going to be devastated. Unemployment has already gone ape s..t.

The education isn't what it used to be here in the UK. The schools are throwing back a lot of work that us families have to do at home, which is fine, as wifey already given up work to make sure they're education isn't affected. Now if we are gona do that then why be depressed in a place where theres hardly any options in for the future

I really like your idea of home schooling. Although I no longer live in Bali (I am now living on Java Island) we made the choice to end school here and to give our kids, who are similar ages to your own, home schooling. We will be continuing with the Cambridge syllabus but choosing a different publisher than their last school was using, plus adding in lots of additional extracurricular classes and field trips etc that they would never have at a traditional school.

Anyway, you have five years before it happens, and as long as you have the temperament for homeschooling then it can be done. If not, there are usually plenty of options for English speaking schools depending on where you choose to live.

Oh thanks for all the info mate. We are serious so gave it a realistic time frame especially with this covid madness going on.

Please forgive me if I go on but at this stage the intention has been set and that's very important but the rest is the vision bit that has to be twisted and formed once the correct knowledge is gained.

We have been to Thailand and to Malaysia so we are not clueless regards this region and have decided a viable muslim country is best.

I am a certified Electrician and used to working with my hands and technical necessities. Here's the pie in the sky.... acquire a small island near a township with medical and educational facilities. Then to build the buildings we will require on the island. Install solar panelling, generators, waste recycling to provide cooking gas, water collection and purification systems. I currently don't have experience with the above but I have avenues within my trade to gain knowledge as both Solar and Generators are part of the BS7671 Wiring Regs within my industry.

I can take on most jobs myself but possibly need to employ a local carpenter(s) for some assistance as I'm not good with wood.

My wife was in banking for a number of years and with a degree level qualification.

Try to live self sufficient as possible but have the most necessary requirements available in town.

We don't wana isolate away from people so the kids don't get lonely but fair enough away to be left alone.

Go fishing, diving for fish, keep chickens and grow basic vegetables.... this is in the long run initially get supplies from town.

We will need internet so I suppose difficult if not in town.

We will sell a flat we have to buy/lease land or island and rent out family house. A share of the rent will become a basic income of appx £1000-1250 pm and have £30k-70k in the bank

As I said that's the pipe dream at the moment and now gota get close to that as possible. Work wise we wifey would like to possibly teach and I have my very transferable trade skills

To be honest, I am not sure that realizing that dream is going to be easy in Malaysia or Indonesia. I have lived in Malaysia for 12 years and I don't know if there are islands available for rent. However, in Malaysia foreigners are allowed to buy property in their own names. In Indonesia I am not familiar with many of the 10,000 or so islands, and could not tell you much about leasing them without researching on google, although others might. Certainly, carpenters and workers and contractors in general are very much cheaper in Indonesia than in Malaysia (I've renovated several apartments in the past).

Have you also considered places like the Philippines? That might be an interesting option too.

Fred wrote:
Shill88 wrote:

Have you also considered places like the Philippines? That might be an interesting option too.

I don't believe that's a Muslim country as per the gentleman's hope.
Given the obvious anti-Muslim action the government there is engaged in, it's unlikely your suggestion would be any more helpful that telling a road accident victim to look both ways whilst he's lying in the road bleeding from a large gash in his head. Perhaps you might like to add Myanmar and the Uygur district of China to you list of possibilities.

:joking:

Dude.... you are defo the man  🙏

The whole reason I tried to make contact this early on is be realistic
in time taken to organise.

Can I ask mate.... is it you and you're family for the amount you are talking about?

Will wifey need to find work before a VISA is issued or the Visa given and then find work at your at your convenience?

How difficult is it to get? Will we be required to deposit money into Gov dep bank acc?

Coming in as a dependant, will that allow me to work within the country?

You seem to be a god send and will be chasing you up regards the leasing.

Wifey has at last got involved in the the dreaming. Adding to the imaginary paradise home which is basically giving the blessing so it's full speed ahead.

1st of all would be where...
Indonesia is so big it's hard to know where to start.

We don't want solitude, more like you said, not busy so maybe close to a town...
Kids will explode without internet plus we need to be near medical facilities.
Maybe a farm as in the long run we'd like to be self sufficient.

How much is land and then how much would it cost to build a 4/5 bed house?

Or would there be farms to buy??

I know lots of questions but I suppose this is just the start

What's Lombok like??
You said you were in Bali now, what's that like? Is it very touristy?

Would my wife have to find employment 1st to get a KITAS visa

Or do you get the KITAS visa 1st then find employment

Kitas work is sponsored by your employer ,Its not easy in normal times to find a job here unless you have special skills ,there is much written about this subject here and some other forums .

Kuta is just a town and exactly the place you should have avoided. There is nothing to see there. Apart from so many Aussies and surfers, most people head up to Ubud or Candi Dasa or Lovina or anywhere because that is where you see the real Bali. Kuta is just hotels and shopping and eating with crowds. Next time you could try hiring a driver for the day to take you up north, it can cost anywhere from Rp400k up to 600k depending on your negotiating skills.

In fact Kuta is one tiny part of Bali right next to the airport.

Oh thanks you guys. Smashing info

The gota read everything a few times to get full impact but the major hurdle will come with the visa. If we were to get employment then it would be in the more populated places. Then how the hell to get work in remote places in the world.

We want the quieter life on a smaller island. It throws plans a bit. We'll get a bit of rent to cover things so the lman was to start by not working and to build the house.

Does it not help at all if we are willing to acquire land and spend more money building a house. How long doesb1 need to spend to get a permanent visa and can spouses apply for it.

Is there not a way for a local to sponsor us so we can go to an area we prefer?

Or a way around some processes?

Scouser you the man. Looks like Liverpool on top of the game before ths worldwide madness began

Cool pvt msg cool? Fred what do you do for work? if you don't mind me asking

How can I use my skills base to get employment?

Dude you and super tops.

Although I'm easy with drinking and known to smash a all night binge, it doesn't happen often nowadays with 3 kids. So that isn't a deciding factor. I'm more inclined to enjoy a Bob Marley smoke

We want the kids to love Islam in a natural way, in the natural world. We willing to live simply and not wasting. We are wanting them to learn to share happiness with our neighbours but sadness as well and be there when possible.

UK will always be at conflict with what we want for the kids and I'm not talking via the muslim angle.... it's just gone mad!!! We as parents cant tell our 9yr old it's not ok for boys to come to school in a girls dress because of this trans craziness... and that's just the icing on the cake.

You should only fight if there's a even a slight chance in winning otherwise you're just a fool wasting time.

I don't wana fight no more.. even with myself.
To own a 4 bedroom semi in part of London I live in costs about
£900,000ish
= £225,000 deposit 🤯
(and that doesn't guarantee a drive or a garage)

I'm done wasting my life to pay interest.
I'm done trying to justify sane opinions to unreasonable people.
I'm gona now practice what I've been preaching about how to live life.

Although its early days, I feel as though we as a family could deal with most things it's just this visa bastard.

Its interesting what you say about the export opportunities. Maybe that might be the angle in

Can I ask your ethnicity? Not that it makes much difference.

Oi oi
Scouse and Welsh
Do u keep up with the Rugby??
My boy used to play for the under 9 Saracens

I've watching some YouTube videos on Indonesia

Wow

Im falling for it big time.

Beaches
Forests
Mosques
The quietness

You should see the nastiness of Europe or the sleaziness of Turkey or Egypt

We been very lucky and been able to travel to quite a few places. Lombok looks so delicious!!

Wonder if there's any islands to lease round there or even a farm on a populated island

As an alternative, you could initially try to find a job in either Malaysia or Indonesia and once established then look more into the idea of living an island life.

1 time move... gona jump in head 1st Gona find a way to get myself on a island. Be it a larger 1.
Cant go from 1 city life to another.

For last 15 years been saying city life has become miserable and always thought I'd move out of london to the country but the whole country's gone to pot. The whole of society's gone mad.

What the kids don't learn at school we can teach them at home..
What they learn or don't learn at Arabic we can teach them at home...
The manners they have we can teach them at home...

Hold on we do that now anyway. So it'll just be a huge change in life style. As I said they might curse me now but the longer I keep them away from ths chaos, they'll thank me in the future.

Tell me about it. To make 0.01% of the children feel less confused, they potentially confusing over 99%. At a time where future mental health could be put at risk.

I don't mind finding some land where we can call home. Close to the beach but high enough to be spared from flooding.

Did you say £1000 per year or per month?

Tell me... Lombok being next to Bali.. is if very touristy? Bali bring predominantly hindu, is there a lot of them in Lombok? As that's the only religion that freaks me out.

My family is originally from Bangladesh and and theres a lot of Hindus there and their idols and rituals aren't what I want my kids to be subjected to regularly.

Predominantly muslim, mostly muslim or a muslim Christian mix is alright

In a lot of places Arabic lessons are free and provided by the local communities. My kids go to a paying one on Saturdays which is also where they can meet many of their best friends who come from around the city but they could actually go to the free one which is in the nearby community hall. In fact, my son recently won an Adhan competition run by an overseas Islamic association. My daughter is less into it but still attends.