Tools in the North Coast area/Sosusa, Dominican Republic?

I am going to have to leave behind my lathe, drill press, band saw and table saw.  Any suggestions as to where to pick these up in the North Coast area/Sosusa, Dominican Republic?

Welcome to the forums!

I can't help you with the north coast, but I know they are available in Santo Domingo!

I may have to go there to get most of my stuff.  Even Santiago doesn't seem to have as much as I need.  Is there a ferreteria in particular  that sells items like that?

There are many.  You may also want to look at pawn shops that get lots.of tools.in. 

It will very much depend on the brands you are looking for.  Closer.to the time you want to actually shop lete.know and I can give you better info.

There are two large Ferreteras as you drive into Santo Domingo from the north on Autopista Duarte on your right just after the lights by Ole and just before you reach the flyover at the entrance to Los Alcarrizos. I like the one called Agroindustrial Ferretera, Duarte 15.5km. Good selection of most stuff at good prices and better than Americana further into town.

https://goo.gl/maps/hfNba5YcmVQNGTdu8

FWIW.. prepare yourself for sticker shock.

FYI I believe Americana is now closed!

And I agree that large ferreteria on the west side has a lot of what you are looking for plus!   And the prices will shock you here. Remember it's all imported!

When the time comes, check Facebook.  There are several vendor sites selling used and sometimes new items.  You can send me a private message and I'll send you some links to get you started.  Personally, I shipped all of my tools with my other possessions.

Thinking tools are coming from China whether you are in the US or Dominican.   Either way they are imported.  Not sure why the prices would be so much higher in DR?  Curious....

Import taxes and duty are significantly different here For example,  add 8% sales tax right off the start!

Much of that work is done, on the North coast, by amazing craftsmen with little more than a straight edge, a file, a hammer, and a machete.

Thank you all for the help.  I'm not too attached to the tools but I just need to know if I can procure them there or not.  I went in to a couple of hardware stores when I was there and they had hardware, but that was about all they had.
The pandemic is going to disrupt things for sure but knowing where to go to get started is half the battle and you all did that for me.

Glad we helped!

The import taxes and local taxes will add about  40% to the price for tools of the type you mention.  I expect many will be cheap Chinese crap that costs a large amount of pesos.   Freight forwarders might be a cheaper way to acquire such products.

I have looked for various tools here in Moca. Guess I'm lucky as my wifes uncle here own a store that sell new and used tools - and a decent variety. He (used to) makes occasional buying trips to Miami to restock. Hardware stores vary in their diversity of what they stock/sell. I found one that almost met the standards we know in Canada and the USA. It is attached to La Serena in San Francisco de Marcos (hope I spelled that right) but I would think that similar places are to be found in Santiago and the capital. Specialized tools might be an issue but generally, the hardware stores here very basic essentials that the local population uses..as you have seen...cheers