Punishment of Seniors

In AC we just went from ECQ to MECQ.  In both cases people over 60 are specifically not allowed to leave their residence, not even to shop.  I have no idea what the rules for GCQ will be but I will find out in two weeks.
I understand that seniors are more susceptible to complications but is it more virulent for them?  If it is not, I would think that it would be an informed personal choice.

Was never enforced here in Ilocos Sur as my wife goes to Bantay and/or Vigan at least once a week and I sometimes go along.  I walk up to the plaza, taking a 35 minute walk every day, never been questioned.  Even the Polis who did not allow me to enter Vigan with my wife one time looked the other way when I walked into town.  YMMV.

mugtech wrote:

Was never enforced here in Ilocos Sur as my wife goes to Bantay and/or Vigan at least once a week and I sometimes go along.  I walk up to the plaza, taking a 35 minute walk every day, never been questioned.  Even the Polis who did not allow me to enter Vigan with my wife one time looked the other way when I walked into town.  YMMV.

I agree, never been enforced here either.  In fact the supermarkets have senior priority checkout and entrance.  It just seems like an odd rule.  And I wonder if the same odd rule exists within GCQ.

mugtech wrote:

Hahaha...Yup maybe the walking 35mins could leave many 40yr old's/including the Polis scratching their heads!!

AaronAardvark wrote:
mugtech wrote:

I agree, never been enforced here either.  In fact the supermarkets have senior priority checkout and entrance.  It just seems like an odd rule.  And I wonder if the same odd rule exists within GCQ.

We were reminded that the seniors going nowhere rule was still in GCQ when Ilocos Sur switched over on 5/1, just to let us know they were still ignoring the same rule.  Probably the same under MGCQ, probably won't matter.

It's being generally enforced in Cebu City, although as always there are exceptions and interpretations...

My understanding is viral infections such as this are somewhat dose-dependent, in other words the initial infection might involve a small or large dose. An exposure involving only a few viruses would be knocked out by the immune system of a healthy individual immediately. Large dose will result in infection.  Hence the reason so many front line doctors, even younger ones are dying - because they were heavily exposed to the virus.

Since older people have less effective immune systems, they would be more susceptible, ie the virus is more virulent to them, even in relatively small doses.

Yes but I meant to others.  If seniors spread the virus more than other people do, it might make sense.
A non-filipino senior without a family or partner
would find it difficult to buy food.  Living in a condo or apartment alone for months would be unbearable.

Oh, okay got it. I can't imaging seniors would be more effective in spreading it. In fact I would think a senior would be less likely to be asymtomatic, and hopefully would stay home if sick. But I have seen some older expats in PI that are real jerks and don't have much empathy or consideration for the Filipinos, so there's that aspect too.

That is true but the rule is not specifically for expats.  They could rewrite the rule so that a- holes must stay home.

While I might be an a-hole at times according to my better half he does appreciates the fact that I have abided by the law while he sees older citizens out and about. Yes you can do that. For me? I value what little time I have left on this, our world and will do my best to prolong. Sad and difficult times.

I have done some research on the Spanish flue, we because of modern communication appear to be in a much better situation, time will tell.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

While I might be an a-hole at times according to my better half he does appreciates the fact that I have abided by the law while he sees older citizens out and about. Yes you can do that. For me? I value what little time I have left on this, our world and will do my best to prolong. Sad and difficult times.

I have done some research on the Spanish flue, we because of modern communication appear to be in a much better situation, time will tell.

Cheers, Steve.

Since you have a better half it would mean that you have someone to buy groceries and things like that.  I do not.
The a-hole comment was in reference to the previous post which talked about seniors who disrespect Filipinos.

Not just senior's but also those under 21 are not allowed out.

Didn't realize that.

Angeles going to GCQ on 1 June.  They will still be doing Quarantine Passes to go anywhere despite Manila saying they will not be needed for GCQ.  Also, 60 and over still cannot go out except for essentials.

AaronAardvark wrote:

Angeles going to GCQ on 1 June.  They will still be doing Quarantine Passes to go anywhere despite Manila saying they will not be needed for GCQ.  Also, 60 and over still cannot go out except for essentials.

When we became GCQ passes were no longer needed to go to Vigan, now we are headed for MGCQ, who knows what the parameters will be.  They accepted that my going to an internet cafe was essential because I had to print my airplane tickets to return to my home country.

AaronAardvark wrote:

Same in Cebu City on June 1.

AaronAardvark wrote:
bigpearl wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

Since you have a better half it would mean that you have someone to buy groceries and things like that.  I do not.
The a-hole comment was in reference to the previous post which talked about seniors who disrespect Filipinos.

Sorry Aaron I must have missed this post, yes I have someone to do the shopping, how are you managing then if you can't get out? I am sure it's difficult.
I went out after 9 weeks 2 weeks ago and I won't bother again, 3 hours waiting on the street to get a pass and medical certificate.
We go into MGEQ today and our LGU instead of backing off has tightened things further even though La Union is Covid free.

Cheers, Steve.

mugtech wrote:
AaronAardvark wrote:

When we became GCQ passes were no longer needed to go to Vigan, now we are headed for MGCQ, who knows what the parameters will be.  They accepted that my going to an internet cafe was essential because I had to print my airplane tickets to return to my home country.

When we went from ECQ to GCQ nothing changed, Ben tells me that as of today we go into MGCQ and they are clamping down further.
Previously a Barangay pass allowed local shopping in our town, still limited numbers into the supermarket (stand outside and wait your turn) but the town market had no restrictions on numbers apparently.
Under MGCQ you are issued with a special pass to go upstairs to the wet market (limited numbers) and have to pay a deposit on the pass, lose the pass/lose your deposit.
I thought that Duterte asked the LGU's to follow national protocols.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:
AaronAardvark wrote:
bigpearl wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

Sorry Aaron I must have missed this post, yes I have someone to do the shopping, how are you managing then if you can't get out? I am sure it's difficult.
I went out after 9 weeks 2 weeks ago and I won't bother again, 3 hours waiting on the street to get a pass and medical certificate.
We go into MGEQ today and our LGU instead of backing off has tightened things further even though La Union is Covid free.

Cheers, Steve.

I live in a large condo complex.   The condo took care of getting quarantine passes.  The pass is just a letter sized piece of paper with my name on it.  I reprinted it to include my picture and reduced the size as well.  With the picture on it, no one asks for an ID, which would show my age.  The supermarket and mall are directly across the street and a one minute walk so no transportation issues.  Many people are complaining on the city Facebook page that they have been unable to get passes.
There are signs at the entrances requiring I'd but I have never been asked.  So shopping is currently not an issue for me but that is shear luck.  If I really have to go across barangay boarders, the trike drivers know how to avoid checkpoints but I do worry.

AaronAardvark wrote:
bigpearl wrote:
AaronAardvark wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

I live in a large condo complex.   The condo took care of getting quarantine passes.  The pass is just a letter sized piece of paper with my name on it.  I reprinted it to include my picture and reduced the size as well.  With the picture on it, no one asks for an ID, which would show my age.  The supermarket and mall are directly across the street and a one minute walk so no transportation issues.  Many people are complaining on the city Facebook page that they have been unable to get passes.
There are signs at the entrances requiring I'd but I have never been asked.  So shopping is currently not an issue for me but that is shear luck.  If I really have to go across barangay boarders, the trike drivers know how to avoid checkpoints but I do worry.

Americans in general do have a 8yr average lifespan in excess of average locals....so you may deduct that many yrs fm your DOB...afterall its an official statistic (taken in 2017)
Just saying!

:D

Except 8 yrs still puts me over 60.  And without restaurants I am on a high carb junk food diet that will probably do me in before things get back to near normal

"Americans in general do have a 8yr average lifespan in excess of average locals....so you may deduct that many yrs fm your DOB...afterall its an official statistic (taken in 2017)
Just saying!"

And? Off topic, if you are 60 you are 60, the Chinese and Japanese people trump you,,,,,,, pardon the pun and sorry for going off topic but the punishment is there for all and live with it we do in these dire times.

Cheers, Steve.

I forget who coined the term "Hatstand", but internet parlance suggests it's a person that's capable of having a hat (probably made of tin foil), but with the IQ of a wooden object.

If I may request not posting hatstand stuff and, if you see it, don't quote it in full.

Also, political rubbish is not that welcome on this forum, regardless of whom your target is,

Hello everyone,

Please note that we had to remove some posts from this thread.

Thanks,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

And apparently, over 60s are no longer allowed to fly domestically.

AaronAardvark wrote:

And apparently, over 60s are no longer allowed to fly domestically.

Do you have a link for that?  Where did you here it?

My Lolo is flying on the 13th of Jun, flight has been booked, with senior citizen discounts, we had no problems booking that about 10 days ago.  Hence the reason i would like to see the link.

Sorry I got that from a different blog.  That poster said they verified it on the PAL website after someone else said posted it

Me too. Pls where the link. Thanks.

Richard Yan wrote:

Me too. Pls where the link. Thanks.

I intentionally used the word "apparently" and as I said, my info came from another blog site.  One of the posters verified it from the PAL website.
I have not personally verified it.  But it kind of makes sense because flying domestically probably would not be considered essential.

From PAL

Philippine Airlines shall do its best to observe social distancing measures inside the aircraft, subject to space availability. Family members and individuals travelling together as part of the same household may still choose to be seated together.
In addition, movement of persons in areas under GCQ for leisure purposes shall not be allowed. Persons below 21 years old, those who are 60 years old and above, those with immunodeficiency, comorbidities, or other health risks, and pregnant woman are also restricted except under allowed circumstances. Philippine Airlines may refuse to carry passengers who fail to comply with any applicable laws, rules, and government regulations of any country to be flown from, to or over.
Link below

Over 60 Riles