Punishment of Seniors

In AC we just went from ECQ to MECQ.  In both cases people over 60 are specifically not allowed to leave their residence, not even to shop.  I have no idea what the rules for GCQ will be but I will find out in two weeks.
I understand that seniors are more susceptible to complications but is it more virulent for them?  If it is not, I would think that it would be an informed personal choice.

Was never enforced here in Ilocos Sur as my wife goes to Bantay and/or Vigan at least once a week and I sometimes go along.  I walk up to the plaza, taking a 35 minute walk every day, never been questioned.  Even the Polis who did not allow me to enter Vigan with my wife one time looked the other way when I walked into town.  YMMV.

mugtech :

Was never enforced here in Ilocos Sur as my wife goes to Bantay and/or Vigan at least once a week and I sometimes go along.  I walk up to the plaza, taking a 35 minute walk every day, never been questioned.  Even the Polis who did not allow me to enter Vigan with my wife one time looked the other way when I walked into town.  YMMV.

I agree, never been enforced here either.  In fact the supermarkets have senior priority checkout and entrance.  It just seems like an odd rule.  And I wonder if the same odd rule exists within GCQ.

mugtech :

Hahaha...Yup maybe the walking 35mins could leave many 40yr old's/including the Polis scratching their heads!!

AaronAardvark :
mugtech :

I agree, never been enforced here either.  In fact the supermarkets have senior priority checkout and entrance.  It just seems like an odd rule.  And I wonder if the same odd rule exists within GCQ.

We were reminded that the seniors going nowhere rule was still in GCQ when Ilocos Sur switched over on 5/1, just to let us know they were still ignoring the same rule.  Probably the same under MGCQ, probably won't matter.

It's being generally enforced in Cebu City, although as always there are exceptions and interpretations...

My understanding is viral infections such as this are somewhat dose-dependent, in other words the initial infection might involve a small or large dose. An exposure involving only a few viruses would be knocked out by the immune system of a healthy individual immediately. Large dose will result in infection.  Hence the reason so many front line doctors, even younger ones are dying - because they were heavily exposed to the virus.

Since older people have less effective immune systems, they would be more susceptible, ie the virus is more virulent to them, even in relatively small doses.

Yes but I meant to others.  If seniors spread the virus more than other people do, it might make sense.
A non-filipino senior without a family or partner
would find it difficult to buy food.  Living in a condo or apartment alone for months would be unbearable.

Oh, okay got it. I can't imaging seniors would be more effective in spreading it. In fact I would think a senior would be less likely to be asymtomatic, and hopefully would stay home if sick. But I have seen some older expats in PI that are real jerks and don't have much empathy or consideration for the Filipinos, so there's that aspect too.

That is true but the rule is not specifically for expats.  They could rewrite the rule so that a- holes must stay home.

While I might be an a-hole at times according to my better half he does appreciates the fact that I have abided by the law while he sees older citizens out and about. Yes you can do that. For me? I value what little time I have left on this, our world and will do my best to prolong. Sad and difficult times.

I have done some research on the Spanish flue, we because of modern communication appear to be in a much better situation, time will tell.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl :

While I might be an a-hole at times according to my better half he does appreciates the fact that I have abided by the law while he sees older citizens out and about. Yes you can do that. For me? I value what little time I have left on this, our world and will do my best to prolong. Sad and difficult times.

I have done some research on the Spanish flue, we because of modern communication appear to be in a much better situation, time will tell.

Cheers, Steve.

Since you have a better half it would mean that you have someone to buy groceries and things like that.  I do not.
The a-hole comment was in reference to the previous post which talked about seniors who disrespect Filipinos.

Not just senior's but also those under 21 are not allowed out.

Didn't realize that.