Internet Access

Hi,

Anyone having problems visiting NON-Viet based websites? even visiting expat site? last 2 night from around 6pm I've been locked out of google news, youtube, XE, facebook, agoda, google maps even but any news or VN site loads up like lightning.

Using Opera browser and it's built in VPN all pages load slow but do load - any thoughts or feedback?

Andybris2020 wrote:

Hi,
Anyone having problems visiting NON-Viet based websites?

On Thursday, I was having a problem connecting with a secure site in the USA.  Today it is working OK.

Travelfar wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Hi,

On Thursday, I was having a problem connecting with a secure site in the USA.  Today it is working OK.

Im having big problems on many site taking several minutes to try to load expat forum is one of the sites,, works ok with VPN?

Andybris2020 wrote:
Travelfar wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Hi,

Im having big problems on many site taking several minutes to try to load expat forum is one of the sites,, works ok with VPN?

Same here, driving me nuts, its them sharks at the under sea cable again!

i've had to use a vpn to get to this site and the BBC for a couple days now and google maps just this evening.

But most other sites I use including US, European and Canadian ones I've had no problem accessing without a vpn.

I just used TENTA VPN Tester. It confirms that my vpn is working.

It is working beautifully. I swear my internet is faster. I may never go back!

The vpn I'm using is a free plug-in for Firefox that I've had experience with in China.

VietCanada wrote:

I just used TENTA VPN Tester. It confirms that my vpn is working.

It is working beautifully. I swear my internet is faster. I may never go back!

The vpn I'm using is a free plug-in for Firefox that I've had experience with in China.

free plug-in for Firefox?

All plug ins are free for Firefox AFAIK. Select 'manage your add-ons' or (ctrl+shift+A) to go to the add on page scroll down to more free add-ons and start browsing through them by several different search choices- security, tabs, downloads etc. I have about 20. Mostly security or nuisance related. Blocking the yahoo mail ad is a favourite, web rtc shield, Google and facebook containers, uMatrix, uBlock Origin, allow right click, setUp VPN are just a few I've used for years. I used to use FlashBlock when that seriously increased my surfing speed. Some little thing that brings back the view image button when browsing images on Google. I mostly use DuckDuckGo now so I don't need that anymore.

MS/Google/Chrome - escape that box. It's a big world out there! Free yourself! LOL
Linux/Firefox/DuckDuckGo. Take control! It's ok, it's your machine! ROTFLMAO

Firefox is number 1.  I often have had to use Chrome at work. I am just stunned that i cannot download from You Tube. Stunned I say!

My ISP is FPT, my internet speed has slowed down again on my laptop & I would describe it as dire!! Yesterday I could not open the Expatforum, Tunnelbear or some of my banking/investment accounts no matter what I did & watching that timer thing just turning endlessly was driving me nuts. So down I go with my laptop to the nearest coffee shop, fire it up & hey presto everything working fine internet access speed perfect & got into Expatforum. Asks the owner of the coffee shop who is your internet providor? VNPT he says, so FPT internet speed is crap & now established VNPT is good. Right thats it come Monday unless FPT get it fixed they are history!

Then it came to me in a blinding flash of inspiration……….Hey but on your smart phone the Mobi 4Gworks fine in the apartment, super fast!! so I googles…..”connect to the internet on your laptop using your smart phone ISP” & like magic up it came with a Youtube video how to TETHER phone to laptop. 2 minutes later I am up running on the internet on my laptop using my smartphone Mobi 4G & its brilliant, super fast & now have access to everything that I could not get into using the FPT connection.

What a result, I am so happy this morning. So now I have a double bonus, fastest internet in my apartment ever on my laptop & can cancel my FPT internet subscription saving countless Dong for a service that was basically useless.

Still want to keep my FPT TV though as I find it is best for me & have good English channels including BBC news BBC earth & BBC lifestyle in the package.

Again, and again and again:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 04310.html

Less than 12 bucks a month with VNPT, guess I can't complain too much.
Rick

Budman1 wrote:

Again, and again and again:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 04310.html

Less than 12 bucks a month with VNPT, guess I can't complain too much.
Rick

Hey, thanks for posting that link, & there you go, mystery solved again, them cable eating fish have a lot to answer for!! :D makes me feel a bit better I suppose to know exactly whats going on. Jesus was driving me to drink yesterday!

According  to the news link VNPT & FPT were using that same broken cable. Suppose the temporary re rout cable VNPT are using is better than the temporary re rout cable FPT are using.

Anyways think positive, I am happy as a pig in *** now using Mobi 4G on my laptop. :top:

Moderated by Loïc 3 years ago
Reason : Language, please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Latest on internet connection out of Vietnam fix between 6th-11th June

https://vietnamnet.vn/en/sci-tech-envir … 46595.html

It's due to the undersea cable indeed.
Also some ISPs block certains website, either you need to use a VPN (best) or a neutral DNS (won't unlock all, but most of them, from my side).

If the low bandwidth is an issue, most ISPs got package with guaranteed bandwidth (1m international etc...).
The reality is that even with this it's not perfect. Some times you got full speed, sometimes, still slow.
But you have some priorities.

Low bandwidth, my isp is fpt, Firefox afaik, neutral dns.
WTF! I'm L.O.S.T. Must be too old. I'm Fred flint stones neighbour.
I just call my niece or nephew, they sort it for me.