Afghanistan - Awesome country and people

I have been living, studying and working across the world and in all continents from South Asia, Asia Pacific to West and from Middle East to West Africa, Russia to Latin America, New Zealand to North Africa to USA .... for last 38 years but my last 2 years experience in Afghanistan has been the finest and far from what rest of the world perceive about the country.

Since I always travel with my family and they live with me too, I was a bit skeptical before coming to Afghanistan with them 27 months back but after reaching Kabul it changed all my perceptions about Afghanistan that has been created by media reports.

Afghanistan is a country of people with biggest hearts and of kindest and most friendly nature.This is the first country where I experienced refuse to accept money from expats be it in shops, restaurants, market, barber shop, taxi .... everywhere as they consider expats to be 'guests of the country' .

The quality of life and cost of living in Afghanistan is surely one of the cheapest and of very high in quality. Life is as free and as normal as anywhere else and certain things are best in my experience from rest of the world. Seasonal fruits, meats, dry fruits, saffron, varieties of melons, berries, cherries, grapes and pomegranates are finest in taste and cheapest in tastes,  A bag of 7 kgs. of apples cost anything between 3-4 dollars and so is a 5 kg. bag of grapes.

Terrorism is something happen in almost every nation and in Afghanistan the same exists but not the way it is being portrayed. Terror attacks happen in specific areas where government and army establishments are. However, people travel, shop, go out fearlessly as nothing had happened.

The COVID 19 had changed the situation in Afghanistan but still here life is much better than most of the neighboring countries in Asia and the west. Post-COVID 19 , the economy will be badly hurt as many will lose jobs and many businesses will close down like most other countries but as on today Afghanistan is still the best place to live on earth.

Hello dr_sudhiranjandey,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

It is wonderful to hear that life as an expat in Afghanistan has been eye-opening and overall positive.

As for the COVID-19 health crisis, hopefully, its economy will recover in due time and the negative impact on locals and expats alike will fade out eventually.

If you have any more insights to share about life in Afghanistan, feel free to start more threads on the Afghanistan forum.

Stay safe,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Most analysts in Kabul were confident that the Taliban and Kabul representatives would find common ground as the positions of Kabul and Islamabad converged and the Islamic State threat emerged, but there was no real breakthrough in the negotiation process with the Taliban, the militants intensified their actions and Ashraf Ghani's "Pakistani course" had to be adjusted. The extent of Pakistan's influence over the Taliban was overestimated and hopes for mediation by Islamabad were not fulfilled. The Taliban proved to be more independent players than initially thought. Therefore, the Afghan government began to look for new mediators to negotiate with the armed opposition.

In late September 2016, the Afghan president signed a peace agreement with Hizb-e-Islami (Hekmatyar Islamic Party) leader Gulbeddin Hekmatyar, who was Afghanistan's prime minister from 1993-1994 and was listed in 2003 by the US administration as the world's most dangerous terrorists along with Taliban leader Mullah Omar and al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, after lengthy negotiations.

Hekmatyar urged other groups to join the reconciliation programme and "achieve political goals peacefully," urging the Afghan authorities to begin peace talks with the Taliban. Ashraf Ghani then called the event historic, saying the goal was to end the war and free the country from foreign hands.

Asian countries have not stood aside and have also joined the process of peaceful resolution of the situation in Afghanistan. In 2017, the Moscow format was established on the basis of a six-party consultation mechanism of the special representatives of Russia, Afghanistan, China, Pakistan, Iran and India. Its first meeting was held in April 2017. U.S. representatives invited to the meeting abstained, citing the lack of a strategy for the new U.S. administration on the Afghan track at the time.