US Stimulus Payments to American citizens married to foreign nationals

I am a US citizen married to a foreign national.  Each year we file a joint tax return with my spouse using her ITIN on the form.  Under current IRS rules, any US citizen married to a foreign national using an ITIN on a joint tax form cannot receive the stimulus payment.  Do not misunderstand me, I am not trying to get the stimulus payment for my spouse, just my individual payment of $1200.  As an individual meeting all of the qualifications except my spouse's ITIN, it is not equal treatment with others married to foreign nationals with a SSAN.  Please consider going to the White House petition site and signing my petition to have this changed, so only the US citizen can receive the stimulus payment.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti … pouse-itin

Thank you for your consideration in this request.  Those of us married to foreign nationals (with only ITIN) definitely deserve the stimulus payment before those being sent by the IRS to dead people.

Definitely support you in this effort!

This problem has been addressed and now there is a class action lawsuit filed. If successful you will be able to collect for her also. With or without her ITIN or SS #.

Racist and disgusting.

FindlayMacD wrote:

SUPERSIZE MY BIG MAC

You are lucky, Aussie's struggle to get anything out of the Australian government.

If you come here under pension age, and do not retain a Australian residency status we get not a single cent. 

If you have lived in Australia for two years prior to reaching you pension age and for a period that runs into your pension age, and have not done one overseas trip at all, then you will get a reduced pension if you move overseas and are no longer a resident of Australia.  If you do one overseas trip then you have to go back to Australia and start the 2 year period in Australia.

Now of course if you are a government worker or politician and get one of there pensions you, just happen to be able to take it with you any where in the world.

Don't start me on the Australian Government, they are pigs.

pej1111 wrote:

You are lucky, Aussie's struggle to get anything out of the Australian government.

If you come here under pension age, and do not retain a Australian residency status we get not a single cent. 

If you have lived in Australia for two years prior to reaching you pension age and for a period that runs into your pension age, and have not done one overseas trip at all, then you will get a reduced pension if you move overseas and are no longer a resident of Australia.  If you do one overseas trip then you have to go back to Australia and start the 2 year period in Australia.

Now of course if you are a government worker or politician and get one of there pensions you, just happen to be able to take it with you any where in the world.

Don't start me on the Australian Government, they are pigs.

Feel for you bro...have my fair share of dealing with pigs!   :|
All I can say is when you can't control whats happening, challenge yourself to control the way you respond to whats happening, Thats where your power lies!

Cheers

Even us Vietnam vets fall into "The piss off, you don't live in Australia" vernacular.

Until then file head of household and you will get your $1200.

I object to your statement " only US citizens".
I am a lawful legal resident but not a citizen, there are benefits to maintaining my citizenship
I received a free education and a college degree.
My mother is still residing there and she is 85, so i cannot be stopped at the border for cov if i am showing and symptoms. As for the 1200 bucks keep it.
Have a nice day

DomDrago wrote:

I object to your statement " only US citizens".
I am a lawful legal resident but not a citizen, there are benefits to maintaining my citizenship
I received a free education and a college degree.
My mother is still residing there and she is 85, so i cannot be stopped at the border for cov if i am showing and symptoms. As for the 1200 bucks keep it.
Have a nice day

What exactly are you objecting to?  Go ahead and keep your current citizenship.

DomDrago wrote:

am a lawful legal resident but not a citizen, there are benefits to maintaining my citizenship

One of them is not wasting time looking for $1,200.  What did Canada give you recently?

mugtech wrote:
DomDrago wrote:

am a lawful legal resident but not a citizen, there are benefits to maintaining my citizenship

One of them is not wasting time looking for $1,200.  What did Canada give you recently?

Canadian Dollar gives him 35.87 php not enough enough to buy a San Miguel. Woe is he.

Just where can anyone buy a San Miguel these days?

Can't you just file using your tax information and leave hers off the tax return?

Here´s an info (but are being worked into by congress) why Americans with spouses with ITIN are not receiving stimulus checks soon:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-2-million- … news_index

robal

Just seems like a needless catch 22.  Just amend the bill so that all US citizens get the stimulus payment regardless of who they are married to.
Everyone should be stimulated equally.😊😁