Newbie In Laos looking for advice to settle in Salavan.

Hi to one and all.
My name is Malcolm, I'm from Halifax West Yorkshire in the UK.
My former trade was Joiner/Kitchen fitter and I still do a bit when I am able.
I am hoping to move and settle In Salavan with my long term girlfriend, a native of Laos.
I'll be asking for a lot of advice from you expats and, giving any possible advice I can to you.

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you take the time to read posts here on the Laos section for advice and information, especially visas so you can stay long term in Laos.
Marriage will make things easier for you.

What citizenship does your girlfriend have? If she is Lao note that (a) Laos does not recognize duel citizenship and (b) you must have a legally recognized marriage certificate to live together.

The marriage certificate can be certified by Lao authorities if it is not procured here in Laos through the proper process which can take a year with a fair bit of hassle. It will also cost you about $2000 if you hire a lawyer or company to do the running around for you.

As you say she is your girlfriend it seems obvious you are not married. That adds another issue. Again, if she has a passport and is a citizen of the UK you can live here without the marriage issue but you will both have to have a visa. Likely a B2 business visa. To get this you obviously need jobs, You may be able to procure these visas without jobs by being sponsored. It isn't entirely legal but I know folks who have done it. They will cost about $400-$500 each. They need to be renewed yearly.

Check out the Laos Immigration Website and look at the visa section.

Salavan is a lot harder to be under the radar than Vientiane. You will stick out and it's very likely police will come by to check that your paperwork is in order. You will also need permission from the Nai Ban (Head of Village) to live in the village.

Be prepared to "help" people out with "gifts".

Thank you Stumpy, I shall take your advice.

Thank you for your advice, I shall take heed.

Just factor in the lengthy time frame for getting things done in Laos !!
Cereal has given good advice in his post.

@Malcolm1804

Are you settled in Salavan now or has Covid-19 affected things.

Are you starting a business in Salavan area? I go to Laos very frequently myself. And I'm looking to live in Laos in the near future too.

I've been here 15 years and married 13. If I had to do it over again, I would not settle in Laos. Vietnam is a better country if you like SE Asia. It sounds harsh but this is my opinion.

A bit of background: I've lived in 5 countries on 3 continents and have traveled to 43 countries. Laos used to be a great place, but now it's lost all that luster I fell in love with.

I tend to agree with Cereal in that it is not as good as it was 40+ years ago.

40+ years ago? Were there any falangs here then that weren't connected to an NGO or an embassy? My friend has lived here as a private businessman since 1985 and I've never met anyone who has lived here longer than that.

Not too many.

My better half has family in Laos. Her papa was somebody before he passed on. Big brother has a nice crib in VTE. Yea, on the river. It was daddies so yea, a nice spot.
I think we could live somewhere around there someday. I know some that do have a decent life there that have imported skills to the area.
As for myself when I do get a chance to visit, not lately due to ....bat flew, I often ask did you do that?  The response is 9 out of ten yes. I shake my head. Love the temples , block and brick work they do. All good I say.

The fish.

Hi Malcolm. Good luck with relocating to Laos. Perhaps you should try living in Laos before you move here permanently. Please be aware of the need to marry your Lao gf if she is still a Lao citizen, otherwise, you'll be vulnerable to heavy fines. Good luck.
~Greg

I agree with ecoheart in that it is best to head over, stay a while and get to know the place first.