Do you think members will every know how to stay on topic?

Do you think that members have the ability to stay on topic on a post?

I have noticed that there are so many comments are off topic from the post topic, in some case's by the second comment.

No

Probably not! But general conversations never stay on topic anyway! People don't think or speak like that! Do you know what sets humans above all other spiecies is their ability to guesstimate! And that means that communication is the most important thing as a guess is worthless if it can't be conveyed! Off topic already!! For example a lion can know that his prey will come to the river to drink and thus wait there hoping he catches one! But a human being can observe that when the sun is in a certain position the prey will come to drink each day! He can then come early wait a little and catch dinner thus leaving him time for all other tasks because he can guess about the sun and the prey! Then humans will get together and communicate about that information and plan large scale take downs on bigger prey and that's how language really began and the symbols of triangles for mountains and squiggles for rivers made it written! My point is throw a topic out there and you just started the process I just described! People tend to develop topics and not adhere to rigorous limits......just saying......lol.....to borrow a phrase

pej1111 wrote:

If we stayed on topic, this forum would have cob webs, off topic posts are more interesting as they bring more peripheral info compared to tunnel vision of original post.

Nope. You kidding?

But "To err is human, to forgive divine."

robal

To be concerned about staying on topic is a total waste of brain time....lol! But since Big Brother is here and they are anointed by the Church of Newspeak we have to take time to bow to the East or is it the West! Do they hold sway over our private messages? Ah who cares actually! There are other fourms awaiting!

Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum

Bologna! You communist?

lasvegan wrote:

Bologna! You communist?

He´s just reiterating in Latin the idea, he should have said it better and easily in French like:

"Se tromper est humain, continuer"... or exactly like "L'erreur est humaine, le pardon divin."

robal

LOL
That wasn't my reference! After going over his location history i seen he grew up in Bologna! That is the stronghold area of Italy of the Communist Party! I meant to only engage him in more conversation and thought that would at least let him know that i have more then a passing knowledge of Italy! It is also a well known for it's many beautiful parks!  I use to stay at the Hotel Bologna Airport when I flew in to visit Modena! I had a Ferrari customized at the factory there! Ah the good old days! Enough drifting back into LaLa Land!

Yeah, he´s from that area after looking at his profile. I´ve been to the city of Modena "situato nella provincia di Modena nella regione dellÉmilia Romagna." Did I say that right in Italian? Beautiful city, home of Ferrari and Maserati and the Balsamic vinegar. I just remembered you had exotic European car business dealings before...

robal

lasvegan wrote:

LOL
That wasn't my reference! After going over his location history i seen he grew up in Bologna! That is the stronghold area of Italy of the Communist Party! I meant to only engage him in more conversation and thought that would at least let him know that i have more then a passing knowledge of Italy! It is also a well known for it's many beautiful parks!  I use to stay at the Hotel Bologna Airport when I flew in to visit Modena! I had a Ferrari customized at the factory there! Ah the good old days! Enough drifting back into LaLa Land!

Off topic

No

Another one hijacked? While I agree that at times there are some interesting insights coming from off topic contributions here perhaps the perpetrator/s should apologise for going off track or simply start a new thread in the direction their thoughts are at, don't worry I also have been guilty of the above but learning.

pej, there are other sites that are heavily moderated and generally the focus is on the topic, some good sites but as W9XR states cobwebs, dust and rust. This site is active and has great and varied input with members from all walks of life but I agree that seeing ones post wander off into la la land or worse to become political or religious is not on and at times insulting. Trouble is that controversial views will not get off the ground with a new post/topic (moderators) so some members trying to push their own agenda/barrow tend to hijack instead of finding a suitable political, religious or controversial site to express opinions.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

mugtech wrote:
lasvegan wrote:

LOL

Off topic

Totally.

Cheers, Steve.

I think not
If you have visited Modena &  had a Ferrari (customized at the factory!)
Everyone wants to know!

Just saying

:D

What has Italy and fast cars have to do with (going off topic) this thread?

"Do you think that members have the ability to stay on topic on a post?"

There are winners and those that grapple, simply post for the sake of hearing themselves heard. (getting numbers up rings a bell).
While I have visited Modena several times and Italy (my favourite country,,,,,,,, oops off topic) some 6 times, again off topic I was not looking for a Ferrari.
Have you visited Modena? Did you buy a Ferrari? Have it customised? (spell check) Again off topic so I dearly apologise to pej for contributing in my own way, my thoughts to what has turned out to be an interesting post bringing in all manner of opinions, so back on track?

Simply no as this site appears to be quite liberal as long as politics, religion, sexual persuasion or conspiracy theories are not bandied/slinging/derogatory/bashed etc appears to be no holds barred. An interesting site and one that I am getting used to, even warming to some co conspirators and their opinions even when left field.

In answer to your post. No. Deal with it as we do and reply/ignore is up to the individual. Seeing ones post hijacked? Like now? While at times frustrating can also bring new ideas and only from my perspective if valid why not start a new post MEMBERS?
OMO pej, the Bold intro was confronting and I might run off and see a therapist but it certainly gained attention, well done.

Cheers, Steve.

My guess, is a big no. Though I wish they would. 🙄

pej1111 wrote:

I have noticed that there are so many comments are off topic from the post topic, in some case's by the second comment.

Is pej1111's  question that requires a YES or NO? The topic itself is an invitation to go off topic.

Just as relevant how do you determine True North?

W9XR wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

Is pej1111's  question that requires a YES or NO? The topic itself is an invitation to go off topic.

Just as relevant how do you determine True North?

LOL true, as apposed to grid north and magnetic north.

apply the declanation

oops spelling error! Do spelling errors count for going off topic!
oops and do you think members will ever know how to stay on topic!
Anyone have any idea what the topic is? Is it about on topic or what members or "Who's on First"

We could of course make this topic a lawyering up thing by answering the topic question with a new question then answer it!

The no vote wins pej. While some are like insatiable (nippy) terriers, some try to abide while others watch and laugh.
Perhaps we should talk about the sex life of the Norwegian racing ferret or should I start another thread?

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

talk about the sex life of the Norwegian racing ferret or should I start another thread?

Cheers, Steve.

Not sure how the sex life of the Norwegian racing ferret involves expats in the Philippines, and if it does I'm sure I don't want to know about it.

Nor does a lot of the other tripe posted by some belong on any expat site no matter the country especially when it's not related to the OP.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

What was the topic again?

So...
What did one expat said to the other?

He said....
"Can i interest you in row-mance?"
Always keep rowing!

:D

Never happen, all sites are the same