Why I want to move to the Phillipines

there were many comments and questions as to why me as a 36 year old want to move to the philippines and ill answer tham all here

first and foremost im adventurous and need a change and have always wanted to live in another country. the philippines although very different culturally is also very similar to america.im also very very attracted to filipino women. I was going to save a chunk of money and go there probably next year for between 3-6 months. i already know a few people out there so having a place to stay wont be an issue. furthermore ive been doing research on online businesses for years. while coding wont make as much i have other revenue streams to earn income while there

Also i plan on living frugally. i dont smoke and barely drink and dont mind living in small house or apartment(i was born in the Bronx lol) Also if money gets tight i can always come back to the united states CDL in hand and earn some money. im in this for the long haul and dont wanna wait until im an old man to enjoy the philippines.

furthermore im a Black  American and while i know theres racism everywhere until u live in America as a black man u will never know what its like to basically be treated as a 2nd class citizen.

so from here on out i want positive and helpful comments because my mind is already made up

Tariq1983 wrote:

positive

A move to a country far removed in every way from your home requires two essentials

An open mind
A positive attitude

Everything else can be worked out. Personally, I planned pretty much nothing for my move, but positivity and a boat full of good luck left me in a pretty reasonable position - Go for it ..... and make sure you have fun.

how old r u how long have u lived in the philippines and what advice would u give me? whats the bare minnimum amount u would have saveed to come for roughly 3 months

Tariq1983 wrote:

furthermore im a Black  American and while i know theres racism everywhere until u live in America as a black man u will never know what its like to basically be treated as a 2nd class citizen.

I gather that especially silly hobby is a big problem in the states, as it is in many parts of the world (different targets, but still racism).
I have absolutely no clue how much of a problem that moronic ideal is in the Phillipines, but others might like to comment as such nastiness could be a major factor for you.

.....and another one bites the dust.......

lasvegan wrote:

.....and another one bites the dust.......

Think happy thoughts - lowers the blood pressure

These guides are rough, but good enough to give you an idea of prices.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … hilippines

So where are your friend's that will provide shelter for you located? If you want go info that will really be of benefit we need to know what you're basic plan is! A three month stay to start is a good plan! If you have to plan on getting your own place during that time you will need extra money to get started! My thoughts based on what it sounds like you want is to try a place like Bohol! Alano Beach will provide you with plenty of laid back Philippine life style and will be easy on your pocketbook! But there are 7000 islands but understand that maybe a dozen of them are suited to your needs! I wouldn't come for 3 months without $5000. Yes you can get by as a single guy on less but your interest in Filipinas can change your budget quite a bit! You don't stand a chance of understanding about that but you will soon enough! Your age is your biggest problem! But you won't understand that for another 20 years! I do hope you make out ok and you will always have the benefit of these guys on this site! They are the real deal and listen to everything they tell you because it will be the gospel truth!

I appreciate your reply and I was wondering how is my age my biggest problem?

The mention of "Age" may be due to the fact that many of us here are senior retirees (>55), many whom must have faced various forms of economic fallout/job/financial losses/maybe different forms of discrimination based on race/sex/age/attitude/facial features who knows!! But still  many 'sucked' it all up & managed over the years to secure some form of pension plan/social security & decided to come here!
BTW : Fire sales/rents are to be expected in the next 3-6mths (due to the economic fallout happening across the world!) .
Suggest you take your time (build up your USD$ capital base) before you commit to anything, this may include raised Immigration fees/raised VAT taxes/raised airport landing fees including raised airline ticket prices/maybe a relaxing of land ownnership rules and a depreciating piso) which are more than likely to happen!

It's not you specifically! It's the old 7 ages of man thing! I started my journey of traveling the world when I was 15! Went to Switzerland to climb the Matterhorn!! LOL! It was an eyeopener! Of course no one would guide me on the mountain because of my age! I didn't get to stand on the summit until I was 21! My point is I understand a lot about how you feel! The age thing is that you are still in the age of Idealism and that is one of the worst ideas for understanding and navigating through Filipino culture! You could meet a beautiful Filipina and fall in love but you will never understand how she views you! She will tell you she loves you so much and that will be music to your ears! But it won't be true! The meanings of social concepts are vary different between American and Filipino cultures! I think if I was you I would do 1 month in Boracay! You'll love it and never want to leave! Then I would spend one month in PaTong Beach in Phuket Thailand and another in Pattaya Thailand! Thailand is much further along in becoming a 1st world nation! Hard to help without knowing where your friends are so can give you our perspective on things!

Always take manwonders comments to heart! He will give you awesome advice!

I don't think racism is as much of a problem in the Philippines as it is in America. Filipinos seem quite accepting of all kinds of people.  Just be friendly and respectful and you will do fine.

I can't really speak for Davao but in Cebu you could easily find an apartment for around $3-400 if you don't need to be in a nice shiny condo in the center of the city. I would think Davao will be a little less. I would suggest staying in a hotel for a week or two while you look for a place. It's impossible to do ahead of time here, just the way things work. I use Agoda to book all over SE Asia.

las Vegan was joking with you about your age, haha. Filipina's love older foreign men because they generally are stable and are able to offer financial security. That's important in a poor country. And they are expert at extracting it, smiling sweetly the whole time. But don't worry many will be happy to meet you too. I certainly wish I'd come over 10 years sooner, but it's all good. It's so easy to talk to the women in the Philippines, they love to laugh and don't have an attitude. But keep your wits about you until you learn the culture.

lasvegan wrote:

Always take manwonders comments to heart! He will give you awesome advice!

Sheesh...Some guys have all the luck!!!
I was drafted into the SAF (Mandatory National Service for 2.5yrs) when I was 18yrs old & the only mountain I was 'forced' to climb was "Mandai Hill" yup running up in full battle gear (SBO/Helmet/Rifle) & practised grenade throwing once I was up there...but yes we still had fun!

:D

@Tariq1983

I believe you have the right attitude for successfully adapting to life here, including a plan if things don't work out. Try it out. Come to the Philippines. But do keep an open mind. Be respectful. Stay healthy. Choose your friends wisely.

When I was in my late 20's, I had a moment of self doubt.  I had always felt like I was under my parents' shadow and protection, that I questioned myself on whether I could make it without them. I told my parents that I'd like to stay in the US because I want to get residency and then apply for a US citizenship so that I don't have to go back and forth to the US and Philippines to renew my green card. I wasn't exactly truthful, because deep inside, I what I really wanted was to find myself, and to know who I was without my parents. 

Moving to the US was one of the best decisions I made in my life. I learned a lot. I became more self-assured. Living there opened up my mind and heart to a lot of things. I wasn't looking for love. I wasn't looking to be with anyone. But without trying, the love of my life and I found each other. 

Due to the recession and issues with our neighbor in SF, I went back to the Philippines in 2008, and brought along my husband and our son. I had a plan. I took over the family business. In a way, I was back where I started. But I came back stronger, braver, and more confident due to my time in the US.

I had some bad experiences in the US. But I have no regrets, and focus more on the good things and the good friends I met there.

I wish you good luck on your plan, that your life with turn out for the better if you do decide to spend a part of your life here. I will try to post more advice here about settling in the Philippines.

Tariq1983 wrote:

You have heard from the some of the guys here on why your age is the biggest problem. Now it's time you hear from a girl.

Your age is NOT your biggest problem when it comes to finding the right girl. On the contrary, you actually have an advantage. I don't mean to offend the older men here. Here's my take on the topic.

I think a young Filipino woman who is educated, has a stable job, can support herself without needing a man, will gravitate more towards someone your age rather than towards a guy old enough to be her father, or even grandfather. Women do want to be with someone who is financially stable, but not at the prospect of taking care of a senior citizen, while these women are still at the prime of their lives, and the likelihood of being stereotyped as gold diggers.

FilAmericanMom wrote:
Tariq1983 wrote:

I think a young Filipino woman who is educated, has a stable job, can support herself without needing a man, will gravitate more towards someone your age rather than towards a guy old enough to be her father, or even grandfather.

"Find a Filipino woman who is educated, has a stable job, can support herself without needing a man."

A good place to start looking is overseas, they all have those attributes. A Pinay nurse in England or US makes more money than a Doctor in the Philippines.

Now also consider the women FilAmericanMom is talking about wants an educated employed man.

Follow the Filipino money and where they are:

(1) USA 1.9 Million
(2) Saudi Arabia 584 Thousand
(3) UAE 539 Thousand
(4) Canada 528 Thousand
(5) Japan 239 Thousand
(6) Australia 233 Thousand

Tariq1983 wrote:

there were many comments and questions as to why me as a 36 year old want to move to the philippines and ill answer tham all here

first and foremost im adventurous and need a change and have always wanted to live in another country. the philippines although very different culturally is also very similar to america.im also very very attracted to filipino women. I was going to save a chunk of money and go there probably next year for between 3-6 months. i already know a few people out there so having a place to stay wont be an issue. furthermore ive been doing research on online businesses for years. while coding wont make as much i have other revenue streams to earn income while there

Also i plan on living frugally. i dont smoke and barely drink and dont mind living in small house or apartment(i was born in the Bronx lol) Also if money gets tight i can always come back to the united states CDL in hand and earn some money. im in this for the long haul and dont wanna wait until im an old man to enjoy the philippines.

so from here on out i want positive and helpful comments because my mind is already made up

One most important thing that you should know is The Philippines is Not America. You must think twice or thrice for the following:

•    Democracy in the Philippines is not like America – The law or most laws are strictly implemented.  Like this time during the COVID19 Crisis, the government is very strict in implementing the Law just intended for the COVID19.  Wearing mask is a must; only one person in every household is allowed to go out to buy necessity (Food & Medicine). But there are several foreigners (Americans and Italians) who tried to defied the Expanded Community Quarantine (ECQ) , a law not allowing anyone to go out from their house except for those who have “Quarantine Pass” .  Americans who were caught at the swimming pool without mask in a private compound in the midst of the ECQ were reprimanded but they fought back shouting towards the Police demanding their rights as diplomats and claiming their exemption from the ECQ because they are Americans. Another incident when an Italian went out shirtless without wearing mask and fought with the police claiming that the police are violating their rights, tress passing etc. All of them are facing several cases now that may cause for their expulsion. The Fact that the country is under the “State of Health Emergency” or “State of Emergency” and a special law was passed to implement the ECQ means everyone is required to obey and follow regardless of your citizenship and status in life. In the case like this which is under the State of Emergency; most of your rights are suspended; rights to go out, rights to travel, rights to disobey and any rights.  SO DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE AMENABLE TO LIVE IN THIS KIND OF PLACE? IF NOT THEN THINK TWICE.

•    You want to explore in the Philippines and very attracted to Filipino women – Well, the rights are there. But warned you that Filipino women are easy to be trapped by the charm of foreigner men regardless of your color and age therefore be safe always (HIV AIDS in the Philippines are common from the age of 14 to 24, that's according to the Department of Health (DOH) and avoid impregnating a lot unless otherwise you are planning to settle with anyone of them.  If you are homophobic then beware because there are a lot of them which you might not recognize when they are cross-dressers but if you are open-minded then no issue you could say no anyway if you don't like.

•    Being black American is not an issue because in the Philippines, people would not think and look of your color but your kindness and good vibes. If you are white but you are “NEGATIVE THINKER” then nobody would like you. If you are black but always in a good vibes then people would love you.

•    POLITICS:  Avoid talking Philippine politics while in the Philippines to avoid troubles.  Never join any protest (anti-government or pro government protest) because it is illegal.

•    EARN A LIVING & TAXATION: If you have a job in the US that would allow you to work remotely then its fine. You can move to the Philippines and continuously earn and living with your remote job. You are not required to pay income tax in the Philippines for your earning abroad. BUT if you are already a resident of the Philippines (Resident means you live in the Philippines for 180 days or 6 months within the calendar year then you would be subject to income taxes for your earning in the Philippines.

•    BE POSITIVE; always think all things in a positive way. You are attractive on the way how you deal with your life, everyone is unique regardless of color and status in life and everyone is charming or attractive on their own way.

Foreigners just need to be "extra2" careful during this period. 
(No shouting/No aggressive behaviour when confronted by authorities!)
(I will reserve my further comments on events I've personally had to deal with!)
Also be careful of 'jealous' neighbours who may be tipping off authorities to come find trouble!
(Not speaking the local language is a BIG disadvantage too!)
Just saying!

The foreigners who broke the quarantine rules might have gotten all the face time on TV Patrol but every day since day one I have seen almost everyone in our barangay break many of the rules involved.  Every day 15 or 20 kids well under the age of 21 play games together on the main road going into the barangay.  All the people over 60 years of age go visiting family and friends, none are wearing masks.  Even going into the provincial capital, Vigan, it depends who is checking the vehicles as to who gets in and who does not.  First two times me, my wife and the driver were allowed to enter, then last week I had to get out of the van, only one member per household allowed, while my wife and nephew drove into Vigan.  I hung around  for a while and inched my way up the road about 30 minutes later, showed my pass, got my temperature taken and then got money changed and went food shopping.  I was wearing a mask.  Met my wife and the van back where they dropped me off.  Then we went to Bantay, right next to Vigan, no police games, went to the grocery store using my credit card, my wife did the selecting.  We are both over 60 years old, no one said anything.  I have come to expect such inconsistency.

manwonder wrote:

(Not speaking the local language is a BIG disadvantage too!)
Just saying!

Also bring lots of cash, because you will be shut out of the banking system.  No "Philippine"  bank accounts available for you.

With all the fraud some of your charge cards may be declined requiring you to call the states. Before you come here notify your credit card companies to expect charges from abroad.

Took me a month before I could use my cards when I got here and a hundred calls to the States! Mostly hours trying to get through only to have no nothing call center flunky's tell me they will transfer me to a closed office! Contact your bank before you come

W9XR wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:
Tariq1983 wrote:

I think a young Filipino woman who is educated, has a stable job, can support herself without needing a man, will gravitate more towards someone your age rather than towards a guy old enough to be her father, or even grandfather.

"Find a Filipino woman who is educated, has a stable job, can support herself without needing a man."

A good place to start looking is overseas, they all have those attributes.

Nowhere in my post did I advice the OP to find a woman. I said that age is not his biggest problem. I didn't tell him to actively find a Filipino woman.

@ Tariq1983

The funny thing about finding love is that it finds you when you're not looking for it.  Before my husband and I found each other, I tried looking for "Mr. Right" in grad school (the only available ones were freeloaders), the internet (my online bf from another Asian country wants to get a green card), Filipino organizations in America (those who were interested were under work visa and want a green card). Nada. So I stopped looking. When my husband and I stopped looking, we found each other.

Avoid dating apps or meeting women on the internet or through social media. When you're here, focus more on learning about the culture and ways of adapting to life here, especially setting up your source of income.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

Avoid dating apps or meeting women on the internet or through social media. When you're here, focus more on learning about the culture and ways of adapting to life here, especially setting up your source of income.

Gotta agree, meeting people through church or as friends of friends is the best way to go, the bar scene is for sailors on leave.  No sense meeting people online when you can meet them in person.

Agreed...but not all church going girls nor the ones you meet on-line may make good partners...nor do all bargirls deserve to be looked down on especially here in the Philippines.

"Pretty Woman" was one such example!

I don´t see Tariq having a problem if he´s polite and respectful. He´ll be welcomed as well. Just gather enough funds and if you work and have a regular income, the better.

I have lived in SE Asia for 17 years.
Be Polite. Do not raise your voice. Smile a Lot. Be Respectful. Avoid drunken people and large gatherings for whatever reason.
Never a problem.

Why Do Some Cultures Smile More Than Others?

Maybe in countries like the United States, Canada, and Australia you may have smiling cultures but countries like China, Russia, Germany, Japan and Singapore do not!

Just Saying!

Really? You seem to be easy-going and joke a lot. Don´t tell me you tell jokes with stiff lips and serious composure at the same time. That doesn´t play well.

manwonder wrote:

Seems we get to see this smiling face quite often.  Isn't that you?

mugtech wrote:
manwonder wrote:

Seems we get to see this smiling face quite often.  Isn't that you?

Not quite in the "frame of mind" to smile right now...but who knows about tomorrow or lets just say next year!

:|

I've had enough encounters with the police to know how to keep a cool and level head. I'm not going to go there talking about my "rights". I know I'm in another country and humility goes a long way

Well said Tariq, humility goes a long way in all countries. Enjoy your stay in the Philippines once you arrive.

Cheers, Steve.

Completely naive. Moving countries is a process. And, your statement is idealistic.
You may want to live in a cheaper location, but have you studied the issues related to securing a permanent visa and costs associated to travel for visa extensions, paying for PRA, lockdown issues, renting without a visa ( unless of course you go the foreigner route of going to Boracay which is also an idealist environment on the short term but not long term because there are also issues you will face in that tourist location), tax requirements ( otherwise you will be illegal and could be arrested for not paying tax after six months if you are working remote and transfering money in and out of the country), medical ( short and long term insurance issues which relate to also getting health insurance with and without a legal visa), emergency evaculation issues, etc. I am an expat woman who has lived in and out of the Philippines for 38 years, has established business relations and all the contacts at the top of the hierachy of the country, and I know the ins and outs of living and working in this country.
Its not as easy as one "IMAGINES".  Crossing over an living as a foreign American outside of your home nation is a big step for any person of any racial background, ethnic origin, education level , economic level. Step cautiously forward and do much more homework than asking simple questions or making naive statements in forums....... Come stay in the country with one suitcase or two for a minimum of a year and start to learn the ropes.... Do this before you close down your life in America.

Terrytheaidworker wrote:

Completely naive. Moving countries is a process. And, your statement is idealistic.
You may want to live in a cheaper location, but have you studied the issues related to securing a permanent visa and costs associated to travel for visa extensions, paying for PRA, lockdown issues, renting without a visa ( unless of course you go the foreigner route of going to Boracay which is also an idealist environment on the short term but not long term because there are also issues you will face in that tourist location), tax requirements ( otherwise you will be illegal and could be arrested for not paying tax after six months if you are working remote and transfering money in and out of the country), medical ( short and long term insurance issues which relate to also getting health insurance with and without a legal visa), emergency evaculation issues, etc. I am an expat woman who has lived in and out of the Philippines for 38 years, has established business relations and all the contacts at the top of the hierachy of the country, and I know the ins and outs of living and working in this country.
Its not as easy as one "IMAGINES".  Crossing over an living as a foreign American outside of your home nation is a big step for any person of any racial background, ethnic origin, education level , economic level. Step cautiously forward and do much more homework than asking simple questions or making naive statements in forums....... Come stay in the country with one suitcase or two for a minimum of a year and start to learn the ropes.... Do this before you close down your life in America.

**** !!!! Basic should be a presentation of who you are , thanks !

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Unnecessary.
Terrytheaidworker wrote:

38 years and still no decision on which to live in! With all your high end contacts you chose to comment here? Why? Your perspective is lost on those who don't lok through rose colored glass! I hope this is your first and last post! Surely there is a doorman at some Manila penthouse in need of your advise!

Easy guys.. I suspect Terrytheaidworker was trying to help in her own way, and convey some realism of expat life, and associated issues - some of what she said is certainly valid, but it came across as negative. I think it probably could have been stated a bit less critically and assertively. All these problems can be worked out, but as has been mentioned previously, come for a visit first Tariq. See if you like the culture, the climate, the people,  before making big plans or closing off your US life. But I think you knew that.

Welcome to the forum Terry, there is a thread for introductions.

Terrytheaidworker wrote:

Wow, So many negative responses.

I happen to agree with Terry, I think some of you only objected to telling Tariq do his homework, instead of asking naive questions & statements on a forum.

I myself went through all the archives seeking advice before asking my first question, it seems naive for anyone one to ask questions instead of doing their homework.

Terry mentioned several points which others giving advice failed to mention. Maybe some of the negative comments about Terrys post is because Terry is not a member of the clique, but if any of you checked, Terry has been a member of this forum for 5 years so has seen a lot of questions & issues on this forum.

So after 5 years of reading posts here and probably other sites, 38 years experience living/involved here have gone unshared until now?

I have been a member on another site for 9 years and never posted nor read a thing for there 7 years,,,,,,, in fact it was by fluke that I re found that site and I was a member so never read any input for those 7 years.

Welcome to the forum Terrytheaidworker. I hope to hear more of your input, perhaps as another member suggested, an introduction outlining your 38 years here would be helpful to fellow members.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

So after 5 years of reading posts here and probably other sites, 38 years experience living/involved here have gone unshared until now?

I have been a member on another site for 9 years and never posted nor read a thing for there 7 years,,,,,,, in fact it was by fluke that I re found that site and I was a member so never read any input for those 7 years.

Welcome to the forum Terrytheaidworker. I hope to hear more of your input, perhaps as another member suggested, an introduction outlining your 38 years here would be helpful to fellow members.

Cheers, Steve.

Worth repeating

Bah Humbug