U.S. TAX PREP IN HCMC , BINH DUONG .?

Hello everyone
    Hope you are well and happy ?? or 1 out of 2 for sure !
I was going back to the US in March , but decided to wait and see on the Chinese Virus ??
so now I need to get my taxes done , and am looking for a tax advisor?
If you can give me a hint I would appreciate it

Thanks
Tom

findvietnam wrote:

Hello everyone

I was going back to the US in March , but decided to wait and see on the Chinese Virus ??
so now I need to get my taxes done , and am looking for a tax advisor?
If you can give me a hint I would appreciate it

You still have 3 more months to file your 2018 tax, hopefully by that time, flights between VN and the US will return to normal.

If you want to do it now, what about TurboTax?  We've been using it on and off for the 10 years living outside of the States.

Thanks for the turbo tax idea !!!

My big issue is I have always had a Tax preparer, I have no idea how to do
the tax part , I can get my stuff together, but no idea what to do ???
I will look at the turbo tax !!

A side note assuming you are in Vung Tau ,   have you ever seen anybody
using a metal detector on the beachs ??

Thanks
Tom

findvietnam wrote:

A side note assuming you are in Vung Tau ,   have you ever seen anybody
using a metal detector on the beachs ??

I have, every few days when the sky is still dark in the early morning (the locals start their daily exercise -- jogging, swimming, walking, biking, dancercise, and other types of work out -- at and near the main beaches before 4 AM.)

Ciambella wrote:

If you want to do it now, what about TurboTax?  We've been using it on and off for the 10 years living outside of the States.

The key thing with TurboTax is being sure that you have the right version.  For anyone living in Vietnam, I would recommend buying the software and not utilizing the free online version.  You can buy and download it online but study carefully the matrix that shows which features each version has that might apply to you.  If you are still not sure you can email the company to check.  If you find that you need to upgrade a step, I believe that you can get the next level at a discounted price.  This happened to me once.  My tax situation was exactly the same but they changed which forms go with each version.  That particular year they gave a free upgrade but the next year I had to move up to the next  more expensive level.

I used TurboTax every year while living in Vietnam.  It can easily handle the Foreign Income Exclusion (Form 2555) that many, such as ESL teachers, will need if they earned wage income while living in Vietnam. 

Once you have the right version, if it's your first time using the software, you will want to use what they call Easy Step and answer every question they ask.  This tells the software what forms you will need.  It takes time, but it is at least as or maybe more thorough than the questions you will get at a tax chain like H&R Block.  In future years, if our situation is unchanged, you can skip the questions and go directly to the forms you need.