Anyone use VPN?

Does anyone use a VPN? I would like to still be able to access online streaming for movies, TV, and music.

I use Nord.

I use Tunnel Bear

Use ProtonVPN, Windscribe, and Private Internet Access(PIA).

Loads to choose from.. some better than others.
Most have free access to some servers overseas.

You could also try TOR browser..

Just remember whichever solution you use it runs slightly slower than your internet connection. Not an issue if you have fibre

I use ProtonVPN now after being happy with PIA for four years. Free Proton version has endpoints in US, Japan, and NL. Paid version has more features.
I only use VPN occasionally for websites blocked in Vietnam like BBC.org, change.org, radio free Asia; for sites blocked in the US which are paranoid of dangerous Vietnamese visitors; and for when I want to spoof that I am physically in the US. I don't netflix or stream stuff.

In my new place, the VPN disconnects then reconnects sometimes. I don't know if that is because of Proton or my Wifi or my computer or cosmic rays from Andromeda, but it's tolerable with my usage pattern.
PIA was quite solid where I used to live (gamma ray shielding in place).

I would try ProtonVPN first. You don't hear about it because it isn't affiliate marketed by every Youtuber, but it is respected in the tech community. Switzerland, no logs, open source code. I should upgrade, only 48€ a year.

https://pixen.netlify.app/pix/andromeda.jpg

I have used Windscribe but it has a cap of 10GB on its free plan.  I have also used Tunnel Bear free plan, and  I have used Frootvpn (not free) which was good and allows 5 devices at once.  I now use Surfshark which is cheap but not free, and allows an unlimited number of devices.  As far as speed, they all performed pretty good without any noticeable speed decrease.  The Proton free plan has what they call "medium" speed, unlimited use, and is very privacy oriented.

I use Proton also.  You get the full version when you sign up but I think it expired after a week.  Helped me to log into some US government sites for my wife's visa app and some other blocked sites but i leave it off more than on

cruisemonkey wrote:

I use Nord.

Me too, on my android smartphone and Windows 8.1 laptop.

It's been most helpful with my banking websites and apps that don't always play well with a Vietnam ISP.

cruisemonkey wrote:

I use Nord.

there was a breach at nord in 2018. They acknowledged it in 2019 and said they only found out about it "a few months ago."

They are based in Panama, so that's good. (No five eyes)

@OP: do your research (as you seem to be doing).

sanooku wrote:

OP: do your research (as you seem to be doing).

Let's start a scrapbook...

In China I used VPN book. Whatever VPN you use is probably using their software with cosmetic modifications. I also used Setup VPN and Kproxy. Kproxy is not that great for speed but I used it to get to VPN book's page every three weeks or so when they changed their password. You don't need that here in VN. If you use Firefox as a browser there are many, many options. Some just simply hide or change your location.

Nothing is as reliable as VPN Book. They are the VPN. As open source others use it to make proprietary stuff to charge you a fee. I would go to work and listen while others complained about their paid service. China even threatened to close them all down until Germany pointed out that no one would work there if they couldn't contact their families.

VPN Book just soldiered on. Never a disruption except when they change their password. Seconds later I'm online again.

Sorry about the essay but open source is the way to go for security. No fees no lying, no BS.

ProtonVPN is an interesting story. ProtonMail was started by some researchers in Switzerland that worked with the CERN accelerator and wanted to create an email that activists and journalist could use in not so internet friendly censorship countries. Their main servers are located 1000 meters in a granite rock mountain bunker in Switzerland. The email is encrypted with zero access encryption. Pretty cool. I have their paid email and VPN services.

I've been using Express VPN for two years...it can have issues, but it has plenty of sites in the US.

The CBC in Canada stopped allowing people not in Canada or at least those of us in VN from watching freely available videos on their website. Setup VPN has been perfect for me to watch those. It only takes seconds to get going and I've had no issues. When I'm done I just turn it off. If you have Firefox as a web browser just get the free the add-on. I use the free version but I think you can pay if you wish.

Usually i use VPNbook but it takes a bit longer to get going so it's not really suitable for a video or two.

For my web browser, I use Opera, which has a built-in VPN option.

stevenjb2020 wrote:

ProtonVPN is an interesting story. ProtonMail was started by some researchers in Switzerland that worked with the CERN accelerator and wanted to create an email that activists and journalist could use in not so internet friendly censorship countries. Their main servers are located 1000 meters in a granite rock mountain bunker in Switzerland. The email is encrypted with zero access encryption. Pretty cool. I have their paid email and VPN services.

Never take anything at face value

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51487856

That isn't to suggest spooks have their fingers in the Proton pie, but they'll be trying to get in if they already aren't.

Fred wrote:

Never take anything at face value

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51487856

That isn't to suggest spooks have their fingers in the Proton pie, but they'll be trying to get in if they already aren't.

I'm pretty sure all VPNs are under that scrutiny. I think most of us just want to be able to communicate with the outside world in some way. Not likely to interest spooks.

While I was in China they started blocking all the paid VPNs. Open book worked with no issues whatsoever while my co-workers were complaining. I believe they backed off because the German govt pointed out no one would want to work there if they couldn't have internet access.

If you're paying for a VPN you're probably paying for open book with bells and whistles and an easy to use GUI . Last I heard there were only two methods of VPN the other is by VPN Gate. But you have to set these up before you go into a country like China. 

I also used Setup VPN. When it didn't work I was able to send them an email to point that out. They sent me one back with a secure link to a newer version and an access code that worked. Brilliant!

But Setup VPN sometimes disconnects and you have to reconnect. VPN book never did that. They do change their passwords regularly though. I used KProxy to get the new one. KProxy works but it is slow and weird looking. But it always worked. Here in VN too when they occasionally block the BBC and Facebook. It was the first method I ever used. In China I had to research this stuff. It took a week or so but I could always use Google as my homepage and access Facebook and Yahoo mail with no problem.
DLing from YouTube.

Also remember to change your DNS servers. 1.1.1.1,9.9.9.9,8.8.8.8 on your router and your PC, phone, laptop whatever. In a country like VN that may be all you have to do.

There is also stuff like TOR which is on a whole different level. Military may write their own.

I should mention I use Linux. VPN is built in. Harder to do with MS and Apple.

VietCanada wrote:

Also remember to change your DNS servers. 1.1.1.1,9.9.9.9,8.8.8.8 on your router and your PC, phone, laptop whatever. In a country like VN that may be all you have to do.

Every so often, when connected to vpn, I check if computer is leaking dns requests using:
https://ipleak.net/

As a Firefox user I have access to all kinds of free security add-ons. I use webRTC shield because it's recommended by setUp VPN. There are several add-ons that claim to disable webRTC and prevent IP leaks. Thanks for the link, I'll test mine.

No leak. I am not using a VPN right now.

I use VPN express. Has been using it for years.
get-express-vpn.com/offer/torrent-vpn-2

Also for your reasons but also if I want to watch Norwegian TV, most of the programs are blocked from abroad. VPN let me watch my native TV with no problem.

I only use a one from Chrome Webstore, just for reading the BBC news. Sometimes they showing up as normal, but mostly never. One gets blocked, I just take the next working one. A DNS "speciality" of IT amateurs . Nothing secret, so I not care.

As for work stuff I just work via ssh tunnel, just for the content privacy, as regular work. I have no need to hide or disguise any IP

sanooku wrote:
VietCanada wrote:

Every so often, when connected to vpn, I check if computer is leaking dns requests using:
https://ipleak.net/

LOL. Not sure what you wanna hide

BBC iPlayer thinks my postal code is W1A...  :top:

I use ExpressVpn but Proton is probably better if it is for privacy. If you want it for Netflix, check that the VPN still works with Netflix. Lots of them don't like PureVPN etc - https://vpnpick.com/best-vpn-netflix-still-working/

I've been using the free Proton for several months.  It's OK.  Always seems quite a bit slower than not using VPN, but maybe that is to be expected.  Get booted off fairly quickly without activity.

I use Tunnelbear, seems to work OK but not being an expert or used any other VPN cant compare really. All I know is that it works if I am having problems gaining access to some overseas banking sites & BBC news & for the limited amount of times I use it, it's free.

I use Opera browser has a free VPN built in no idea how it stacks up to paid ones but for the couple of place I need it it's ok.

I use Express Vpn   It seems to work the best but you always have to check for upgrades because in some countries they try to block it.