Open a bank account

I was wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to open a bank account in Brasil while still living abroad. We are buying an apartment there, and using my wife account for now. Transferring money from Europe each month to make payments.

But I will need an account of my own eventually, and I would rather do it asap. Is there any bank that will accept it? I have a CPF.

To open a bank account in a Brazilian bank as a foreigner requires
- a CRNM
- a CPF
- proof of residence in Brazil
- other documentation required by the bank, usually including proof of income in some form.

If you have all of that, you could try contacting your wife's bank:  since she's already a client, they might be willing to talk to you.  But you'll probably need to wait until you're living here.

As said by abthree it is not possible to open a bank account without being a permanent resident (CRNM is required) or a citizen of Brazil.
Most all of us living here in Brazil, have been thru the process. It does take time and can only be done in Brazil and applying for your CRNM.
CPF is just for the Receita Federal tax purpose.

Thats great. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Chood,

How did you make out with this? Were you able to open the account from abroad?

If you are married to a Brazilian citizen, but don't have any other documentation like Permanent Resident, can you be on a joint bank account with them? Or, no?

Ron Hevener wrote:

If you are married to a Brazilian citizen, but don't have any other documentation like Permanent Resident, can you be on a joint bank account with them? Or, no?

No.  As they say, been there, tried that, many times for over a decade. Not a chance

The closest thing I have been able to find to open a bank account in Brazil whilst residing abroad is https://banco.bradesco/html/classic/pro … ional.shtm
The only snag is it is for Brazilian citizens living abroad.

Thank you.

I tried to open an account with Bradesco, but alas, was unable as I am not resident. It was an arduous process to even be told that!

I'll have to wait until I'm there.

Dear Chood & Ron,

Try Itau and Banco do Brasil. My wife opened her account on both, 3 days ago. None asked for citizenship or permanent residency. Documents we provided :

Photo ID- passport ( not Brazilian)
RNM- Temp Residency
CPF
Proof of Address - we gave Apartment rental agreement ( any bill on your name. Broadband, gas , electricity)

In 30 min we walked out with an account no. And a debit card. 
The key is to be polite and truthful, you will get the result..

RNM- Temp Residency is what helps you. If others do not have this they can't get an account

Why so many duplicate posts today?

Try Nubank

Texanbrazil wrote:

RNM- Temp Residency is what helps you. If others do not have this they can't get an account

Yes, you need a CRNM.   Most permanent residents are eligible to receive a CRNM, and some classes of temporary residents, as well.  I'm not aware of any case in which a foreigner can open a Brazilian bank account without a CRNM.

Cakinator wrote:

Try Nubank

According to NuBank's FAQ, you have to be a resident of Brazil to qualify for an account.  A CRNM is required of a non-citizen, like any other Brazilian bank.  They've already answered this specific question:

https://comunidade.nubank.com.br/t/pass … stro/95661

arman737ng wrote:

Dear Chood & Ron,

Try Itau and Banco do Brasil. My wife opened her account on both, 3 days ago. None asked for citizenship or permanent residency. Documents we provided :

Photo ID- passport ( not Brazilian)
RNM- Temp Residency
CPF
Proof of Address - we gave Apartment rental agreement ( any bill on your name. Broadband, gas , electricity)

In 30 min we walked out with an account no. And a debit card. 
The key is to be polite and truthful, you will get the result..

Brazilian law requires Permanent Residency, (the old RNE, CRNM, etc.) or a few types of legitimate temporary stay visas to open or to have a bank account, not just proof of an address. This is unfortunately not just policy by some banks.

RNM (CRNM) is the document of permanency

06/30/21

sergiobotinha wrote:

Normally, but not necessarily.

True, the CRNM is the identity card for foreigners who are permanent residents of Brazil.  Foreigners in Brazil on VITEM XIV visas on account of retirement are being issued CRNMs, though.  At least some foreigners on VITEM VIII visas -- volunteer work -- are also being issued CRNMs.  The CRNMs are set to expire when the visa does, although in the case of retirees, they are being told that they will eventually be granted non-expiring (i.e., permanent) CRNMs; they haven't been issued yet, though.

The two cases above, I know to be true from personal knowledge.  I believe that CRNMs, with expiration dates timed to the visas, are also issued for VITEM IV (student) and VITEM V (paid work) visas.  They may be issued for some other visaholders (e.g., VITEM I, III, VII, IX), as well.

What all of these technically temporary visas have in common is that the holders have passed through a specific vetting process, and the Brazilian Government has allowed them to live in Brazil for an extended, sometimes effectively indefinite, period of time, enjoying some of the privileges of permanent residents.  This is totally different from the case of someone here on a tourist visa, and it's extremely difficult to bootstrap a tourist visa into one of these other categories.

abthree wrote:

06/30/21

sergiobotinha wrote:

Normally, but not necessarily.

True, the CRNM is the identity card for foreigners who are permanent residents of Brazil.  Foreigners in Brazil on VITEM XIV visas on account of retirement are being issued CRNMs, though.  At least some foreigners on VITEM VIII visas -- volunteer work -- are also being issued CRNMs.  The CRNMs are set to expire when the visa does, although in the case of retirees, they are being told that they will eventually be granted non-expiring (i.e., permanent) CRNMs; they haven't been issued yet, though.

The two cases above, I know to be true from personal knowledge.  I believe that CRNMs, with expiration dates timed to the visas, are also issued for VITEM IV (student) and VITEM V (paid work) visas.  They may be issued for some other visaholders (e.g., VITEM I, III, VII, IX), as well.

What all of these technically temporary visas have in common is that the holders have passed through a specific vetting process, and the Brazilian Government has allowed them to live in Brazil for an extended, sometimes effectively indefinite, period of time, enjoying some of the privileges of permanent residents.  This is totally different from the case of someone here on a tourist visa, and it's extremely difficult to bootstrap a tourist visa into one of these other categories.

---
A person's age can be another factor in RNE/CRNM expiration dates. My CRNM, based on my VITEM XI visa, has no expiration date.  I was granted my CRNM when I was 62YO.

As long as you've got a valid CRNM/RNE, you're good to go for a bank account.

Itaú, MercadoPago, PagSeguro and Nubank permit you to open an account 100% online. Bradesco and BB require physical presence, as far as was my experience. If you are a US citizen, you will also be asked for your SSN so they're compliant with FATCA.

Caixa agências here (Embu/Taboão/Itapecerica) won't open new accounts at all; an attendant explained that it's because they're tied up half the month with the auxílio emergencial and bolsas.

Your mileage may vary; this is just my experience.

I've been in limbo for the better part of a year now.

Something helpful : https://www.meuacesso.com.br/

You can buy the cards at Lojas Americanas. They cards are hit or miss for ordering stuff online, but they allow you to pay boletos. You can recharge them from abroad using usend.com. For those in United States, your card probably won't work with usend, but you can open a free checking account with discover that has no foreign transaction fee and does work with usend. The discover card also frequently works for online merchants that accept discover. Your European debit card is far more likely to work with Brazilian sites because they way they validate transactions is different. All of this works with no CRNM.

This is a persons experience last year with declaring residency. Seems not as difficult as it may seem.
https://toughnickel.com/personal-financ … -in-Brazil

I don't know if the link posted but it says that you can declare residency by basically having a Brazilian friend/family declare that you are living at their address and have it notarized. Also hiring and accountant and having them declare your income. The site is called toughnickel

jeedmond32 wrote:

I don't know if the link posted but it says that you can declare residency by basically having a Brazilian friend/family declare that you are living at their address and have it notarized. Also hiring and accountant and having them declare your income. The site is called toughnickel

A notarized affidavit is probably sufficient in many cases to document proof of a Brazilian residence, i.e.,  a physical address in Brazil.  It is not sufficient to prove Brazilian residency for any legal purpose, including opening a bank account.

Having your accountant provide you with a letter substantiating your income (within certain limits, and depending on your claimed profession) can be substituted for proof of income through providing a Brazilian tax return when opening a bank account, but again, only after establishing legal residency.

jeedmond32 wrote:

---
That will absolutely not work to open a bank account in Brasil. I own an apartment in Brasil and that alone was not sufficient to prove residency.