Moving to Norway :) Some questions...

Hi everyone,

I came across this very forum and would appreciate any information, advice, insights any one can give me!

Me and my Norwegian husband, baby, and two dogs are moving to Norway August 2012. We are moving to North of Oslo.

Here are my questions:

1) Immigration: If possible, we would like to start the process now. I think what we should start applying for is the family reunion? Problem is, my husband is here not in Norway. From what we can see my husband has to prove that he can support us financially. We both have very good jobs now, here in the US but obviously when we get to Norway he will have to start looking for work so we can't say that right now, in Norway, he can support us. Can we have his parents co-sign/support? Also, Any recommendations anyone can give us that we can get this process started as soon as possible even though we are here in the US.

2) Bringing our car to Norway: I know the taxes are extremely high. We tried to calculate how much it would cost with the information we could find online and it still looks like it would be cheaper to bring our car to Norway (its a hybrid/prius so the engine is smaller which mean less tax- I think) rather than buy a new one in Norway. The way I look at it, if I have to pay $6,000 in taxes on my $ 25,000 car that is better than selling it for $ 18,000 and buying the same car for $ 40,000 in Norway. Does that thinking look accurate for anyone that has experience or knowledge with this?

3) Moving household goods: any recommendations? We will sell as much as we can but we still have items that we have to move over. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

$ 15000 in taxes for two year old car, 1500 kg, 140 hk engine.

You can hire a container sent by ship. Just call a shipping agent in your country. I dont think its expensive. But all electricals will not work here. 220 Volt etc...

Zeast -- do you mean you paid $15,000 in taxes to ship a car that was 2 years old? (I am asking because that seems so outrageous ... and then, not so outrageous considering that it is Norway.)

BRS most likely you will pay much, much more than $6000 for your car. Here is the website where you can calculate the amount of import taxes for your car: toll.no/templates_TAD/Category.aspx?id=68478&epslanguage=EN

I tried the site, and assuming that I did everything correctly, for our Honda civic (paid $18,000) we are supposed to pay around $20,000 dollars of taxes, plus VAT.

As you say, we talking about norway. The goverment doesnt want us to have cars, or any other great stuff....

You can drive with american number signs. But then you most never borrow your car to a Norwegian.

A lot of people import their own car from germany, denmark or us. But its more expensive cars and almost new. They save money doing that. But have to know what you are looking for... and I dont know so much about cars, but Merzedes and BMW is popular car to import from other countries.