Initial trip planned

We have planned our initial trip to see the country first hand 8-16 Aug providing the travel restrictions have been lifted by then.  We have booked a cottage in Tamarindo to allow us to explore the Nicoya Peninsula area which is where we feel we would settle once moving there. We are open for any recommendation during our staying and looking forward to meeting other expats in the area.  Is it August yet?

Looking at rental cars and seeing a big disparity between using the US Brands like National and Alamo verses going on Priceline where it appears that they use the local companies.  I see that there is mandatory coverages for insurance.  Does anyone have experience with this and can recommend a way to go.  Thanks

We always use the National brands but book through discount websites so the rate is very low.  It's the insurance that's high.  There is a mandatory insurance (collision I believe) that you must take, but if you book through your credit card, you will have the other (liability) covered by that.  Just get a letter from your credit card  company saying your insurance covers liability and you'll be fine.  We just tell them our insurance company covers (without letter) and it's never been a problem but if it's your first time in the country, best to have that.  Otherwise you pay a daily rate that makes the rental just way too high.  There are private rental places and people that rent their cars out but I would be careful of this.  We've done it, got pulled over by the police and there were tickets outstanding on the vehicle.  Use proper channels - you might spend a little more but definately worth the peace of mind.  Enjoy your trip.

great advice Cratedivision

Same here. I'm planing initial trip in July and was intrigued by Nosara. Had seen an ad that made it look fab. After several emails and no info received that I'd requested I'm very skeptical. Very pushy.
Perhaps we can share info. ?
*** Live in Alabama.
I understand if y'all are not inclined to communicate privately. No worries. Thx. Nancy

Moderated by Loïc 3 years ago
Reason : for security reasons, we do not accept personal information on the forum. Share them through the private message system
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Be VERY careful about using your credit card to cover some of your insurance.
Read the fine print!
Years ago I was with Chase and I read the fine print at that time and it said (I paraphrase:)
If the accident occurs off road you are not covered.
What is off road?
It was not described.
I was told by someone on the phone there that off road meant it was not on the map. Which map? (Sounds like a loophole to me to get them out of paying!)

I could not get a straight answer or definition from them.

So I don't know. Personally when I am going to be on roads that are "out in the country", not major highways, I pay for the full insurance here. Which costs a FORTUNE!

I've used pretty much all of the companies. Some are a little cheaper but I found National to be very lenient on small scratches and things that happen on a new car when you drive on bumpy 4x4 roads. YMMV.

Hence the reason for bringing the letter from your credit card company ahead of time.  They explain what is covered.  No need to stress too much either about the car places - we've been using them for 11 years and never had an issue bringing a car back.  Now if you're going off-roading and driving like a jerk and cause damage to the car, obviously you're going to have to pay for that.  Depends on what you're doing while in the country.  Just stay away from these folks that rent out privately to you - not worth saving a few bucks!