So it's a bad time to become an expat... right?

I want to wait until things clear up with the Coronavirus, but I live in Atlanta, Georgia right now. I learned Turkish I during my senior year at the University of Houston and I'm still sharp with my Turkish. I spent 3 years in the Education industry as a Spanish teacher and I am in a career transition to Information Technology, but if I find a job opportunity as an English teacher in Turkey, I'll be glad to take it and go back into teaching because I have a big heart for children.

Anyway, how long should I wait until I book my flight? How do I do this "expat in Turkey" thing? I need all the advice I can get. Thanks!

Hi VictoriaArzu9,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Well, due to corona virus, i'll confirm that it's not the right time to expatriate.
However, you can use this platform to prepare yourself for your future expatriation.  :proud

I would first of all invite you to have a look at the Living in Turkish guide, it will definitely guide you on the steps to follow to expatriate in this country.
I would also advise you to post a job search in the Teaching job offers in Turkey section, it will help the recruiters to know more about you.

Please have a look at this thread : COVID-19 and expatriation in Turkey to get a better picture on what is going on in Turkey right now with Covid-19.  :idontagree:

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

Hello Priscilla!

Thank you so much for this valuable information! I will get started on my research. I really appreciate your prompt response, and I will begin my preparations in expatriation.

I have a question---should I go ahead and apply for a Turkish visa this year? How does the visa thing work?

Thanks again,

Victoria Arzu

It's not just a bad time, it's a close to impossible time, but time flies and the situation will calm down and return to normal .. or maybe a new normal, then you can get stuck into your adventure.

Thank you Fred, great insight! I will take heed :)