Questions about living in vietnam

I don't normally use cards only for flights or buy things on line
But I have 1 also in Thailand and sometimes it's good because I don't need to travel with much cash in me
Do it's good to use a local card
I don't know if it would be easy without my girlfriend
But I think I hear in Vietnam it's easy

Do you mean a credit card?  I use them when possible, but many smaller stores  and restaurants don't accept them, and of course street vendors require cash.  Convenience store chains usually take them, supermarkets like Coop do and most larger stores do, especially chains. 

I don't have a Vietnam credit card, only US cards.  Vietnamese mail order sites like Shopee require local credit cards, as does my cell phone company, Mobifone.  Actually, I pay all my utilities with cash, but I think some will accept local credit cards.

Understood

The money question is interesting
If I ever get to VN, my future employer will be paying 20% of salary in VND, the rest in USD. I had planned on transferring to either my Italian or my UK bank via WorldFirst. I'm sure USD can be handled by them but I'll have to look into VND.

Just use transferwise.. can use any currency

Jlgarbutt wrote:

From experience.. tourist visa for three months

TIMO = no even after getting my VEC still no
Shihan = no

Last one I go to once I had the VEC was VIB on Pasteur street. Walked in, copied passport and filled out form. Paid 100,000 minimum opening fee. Done.
Following week collected ATM card.

Hi, can I check the no on Timo? I have a timo account on 3 month tourist DL visa and have my British Military pension paid into it every month, I do have to go into office for them to copy each new visa but I've had a card since September 2018, I do have term deposits but they were done before laws changed, when finished I cant redo until I get my TRC.

I use my card all the time in lottemart, coop mart Vinamart, Mega Mart etc but can not use as debit card for paying online.

I just copied this from their website 7:11pm
"Does one of the required documents need to have 12 months remaining validity from the date I pick up my card at Timo Hangout?

No, it doesn't  The required documents can have less than 12 months remaining, but must be valid at the time of applying to join Timo  "

InstraRem has better rates than Transfer wise Australia AUD to VND in my case.
at todays rate at 7pm  1,000 Aud gets you 15,072,738VND on trasferwise
                                          1,000 Aud gets you 15,171,340VND on InstraRem

Check for your currency compare....

You also get better rates doing bank to bank instead of bank to cash like western Union.

It2VN wrote:

The money question is interesting
If I ever get to VN, my future employer will be paying 20% of salary in VND, the rest in USD. I had planned on transferring to either my Italian or my UK bank via WorldFirst. I'm sure USD can be handled by them but I'll have to look into VND.

Why not have your employer send the VND to a VN bank as you should have a work permit and a TRC which will allow you to open an account.  At the same time, have them deposit the USD in the UK.  HSBC might be a good choice as you could access it in Vietnam if the VND fall short of your expenses.  If you don't bring it in, you don't have to worry about how you will take it out.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Some people have posted on here that sending money into Vietnam is easy with transferwise, but next to impossible to send out of Vietnam

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Some people have posted on here that sending money into Vietnam is easy with transferwise, but next to impossible to send out of Vietnam

This.

SteinNebraska wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

This.

This may be usefull https://medium.com/@sticpay/internation … 50a72d3c81

"According to an assessment carried out by the Vietnamese financial comparison platform TheBank, the most open available remittance policy shows that for many types of transfer in many Vietnamese banks the limits are USD 25,000 per person per year."

It may be why it's hard to TX out the country if sending large amounts?

As long as you have a debit card to your bank account here it works fine.

SteinNebraska wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

This.

Does the situation remain grim as is being discussed (for transferring money out of Vietnam), if my employer deposits my monthly salary in a local bank, I have a valid work permit, I have a temporary/permanent resident card and I need to send money to my dependents every month ?

What if one of the banks in my home country have a branch in Vietnam ? Will the process still be tedious?

andidips wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

This.

Does the situation remain grim as is being discussed (for transferring money out of Vietnam), if my employer deposits my monthly salary in a local bank, I have a valid work permit, I have a temporary/permanent resident card and I need to send money to my dependents every month ?

What if one of the banks in my home country have a branch in Vietnam ? Will the process still be tedious?

If you have that documentation you can send money out, they will also want to see that you are registered for tax and paid tax on the money you earned. VN banks are very anal about paperwork.

andidips wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

This.

I guess there is no way to go off topic in this thread given the vague nature of the title, but please trust me when I say this subject has been discussed Ad nauseam in other threads and the info can be found simply by searching.

Or you can wait for the next 30 responses here and collectively get the same information...

Sometimes easier to ask than trawl through dozens of previous threads..

It's also called being helpful to other rather than just tell them to go search. That's the whole point of a forum, get to ask questions and get answers..

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

the info can be found simply by searching. .

That may be true except the term simply may not be appropriate.  The search function on this site does not work very well, handles multi-word searches by searching each word separately,  and returns answers in odd chronological orders.  I remember once (and no I am not searching for it now) that management said they were aware of the problem and planned to improve searching in a site update, but nothing seems to have changed.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Sometimes easier to ask than trawl through dozens of previous threads..

It's also called being helpful to other rather than just tell them to go search. That's the whole point of a forum, get to ask questions and get answers..

Sometimes an appropriate answer is to point out that the info is already available, and let a newbie know that asking questions is not the only option, especially when looking for comprehensive information.

THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

That may be true except the term simply may not be appropriate.  The search function on this site does not work very well, handles multi-word searches by searching each word separately,  and returns answers in odd chronological orders.  I remember once (and no I am not searching for it now) that management said they were aware of the problem and planned to improve searching in a site update, but nothing seems to have changed.

In this case, I just went to the "Vietnam Forum search interface" and searched for "sending money".

That provides more than one result that a person can further search now

I think more often than not the average person searching the internet for information wants an answer now.

They don't necessarily want to post a question and then wait for the answers to flow in over a period of time.

That also comes across a bit cold sometimes. Joining a new forum or group can be daunting. Ask the wrong question and risk making yourself look silly

Better to ask, and get good advice from people who have had the same experiences.

Motto should be don't be afraid to ask, but here recently people are going a little stir crazy after the social distancing.

Wanting an immediate answer by searching past posts.. sure I get that, but how many times does things change ?

They could search and find a post that has out of date info.. sometimes a person here gets results easy and others find it harder.

Rules in VN like most things change so quickly

Jlgarbutt wrote:

That also comes across a bit cold sometimes. Joining a new forum or group can be daunting. Ask the wrong question and risk making yourself look silly

Better to ask, and get good advice from people who have had the same experiences.

Motto should be don't be afraid to ask, but here recently people are going a little stir crazy after the social distancing.

Do you really need to take offense on behalf of other posters?

Quit looking for a reason to criticize.

You are not the person to whom I'm replying.

If providing detailed information is your idea of the appropriate response in every situation, why are you wasting bytes criticizing me?

You had your chance to provide helpful information, and frankly, your two replies were contrary to the accumulated wisdom that's been posted elsewhere.

I'm not an expert on this subject (but I play one on TV*) yet I think the questioner would be best served to search for more comprehensive answers than those which you've provided.

(*that WAS funny, THIGV 😉)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

In this case, I just went to the http s: //www .expat. com/en/search/asia/vietnam Vietnam Forum search interface...

(link broken intentionally for example)

Hmmm...You've got at least a better point than I thought, THIGV.

As you can see, I copied and posted the link for searching the Vietnam forum, but when you click on that link in the post I'm quoting, it redirects to searching the entire expat. com site.

I just reported my post with an explanation.

Hopefully that will be forwarded to their tech team.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

If providing detailed information is your idea of the appropriate response in every situation, why are you wasting bytes criticizing me?

You had your chance to provide helpful information, and frankly, your two replies were contrary to the accumulated wisdom that's been posted elsewhere.

I'm not an expert on this subject (but I play one on TV*) yet I think the questioner would be best served to search for more comprehensive answers than those which you've provided.

Last time I checked you are not the rule maker for this site. And yet most new people who ask immediately get the "use the search" or "use the quote" answer.

Wasting bytes on you.. bit like when you tell people to use search. If you have knowledge then share it..

"Encourage discussion. This is what most people would consider the main advantage of an online forum. ...
Improve communication. ...
Increase collaboration. ...
Better engagement. ...
Receive the 5 key methods of employee engagement straight to your inbox.
Seek assistance and support. ...
Help drive usage of your online collaboration tool."

Jlgarbutt wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Last time I checked you are not the rule maker for this site. And yet most new people who ask immediately get the "use the search" or "use the quote" answer.

Wasting bytes on you.. bit like when you tell people to use search. If you have knowledge then share it..

"Encourage discussion. This is what most people would consider the main advantage of an online forum. ...
Improve communication. ...
Increase collaboration. ...
Better engagement. ...
Receive the 5 key methods of employee engagement straight to your inbox.
Seek assistance and support. ...
Help drive usage of your online collaboration tool."

Biggest half of the stuff on here if you do a search is like years old & totally out of date. Anything over
1 year old should be ditched or archived & start again with new members & new input.