Medical Services for Retired Military Personnel

Any medical facilities/offices for retired military personnel?  Thanks, Jim

Yes in Santiago de los Caballeros, but you must be a Veteran

They also offer services in Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo.

Yes there are two I know of, and I also know several patients as well as a few of the staff at the following.

MELIVEA, Puerto Plata, Santiago, Puerto Plata.
WellVet, Santo Domingo (perhaps more)

These fall under VA Foreign Medical Program, it covers service connected disabilities.

If anybody needs help with any VA/veteran related issues please feel free to contact me.
I am with the American Legion in the Dominican Republic ....if I cannot find the answer one of the other vets will surely be able to point you the right way....

And yes, There is American Legion in DR, it is American Legion Expeditionary.

Stay safe everyone

Where exactly is the American legion

Yesterday as we were driving to the where I usually get my distilled water for my CPAP machine at the hospital in Santiago, I noted for the first time, the The Veterans Wellness Centre in Santiago. Noticed all the US Forces flags then saw the name on the way out. SOme other time I will check it out. It is not far along the highway, on the left side, after heading from the airport into Santiago. Other locations will likely be equally visible - must be rather new as I have never noticed the flags before in the 24 plus months and several trips past there ....

Yes the Vet wellness center is operational in Santiago on Autopista Duarte as you are leaving Santiago. I walked in and asked, they are open from 8-3pm due to the situation that's ongoing. They said once they verify that you are a Vet and see a primary physician, then all costs are free to include meds

In DR all of our offices are USO type of offices.

Three locations...we tried to keep it easy, essentially all of our offices are near the MELIVEA clinics.

I also use a CPAP.   Have you been able to find supplies for your CPAP in Santiago filter, hoes, and so on?

Greetings. I only need to get the distilled water. Being as I'm a retired Cdn vet, my machine and all associated parts and supplies are covered by Veterans Affairs Canada. I return to Canada (or try) at least within every six months and if I need something, I contact my civy supplier, they get approval from VAC, and I pick it up when I get there. From just talking around, I'm not sure how many, even Doctors, even know what a CPAP machine is let alone sleep apnea. Sorry I can't be of more help...cheers (Note - I get new face mask things and keep the old one as back up. If ever in dire need contact me to see if I can assist)

If it is service connected go to MELIVEA in Santiago

I don't want to start posting a lot of links online...but google “MELIVEA Santiago DR” and you will get it.

The clinic number is (809) 971-9421...according to google.

If it is service connected the VA pays via the VA Foreign Medical Program. The VA pays the clinic so there is no out of pocket cost to you.

MELIVEA is the only legit one I'm aware of in Santiago...there may be others, Just not that I'm aware of.

I hope that helps

I just saw your Post that WellVet now has an office in Santiago...I've met some of their staff in Santo Domingo, great people.

I'm happy to hear that more and more services are opening up for retired veterans...it only helps makes our lives a little nicer in paradise...lol

Juvante Veterans Health Center has Chiropractic, Massage, Physical Therapy, General Medicine and psychology. contact them at 809 517 6312  they are in Peurto Plata. The Chiropractic is available in Peurto Plata, Santiago and Santo Domingo.

Thanks and welcome to the forums!

Hello, This is great information.  I am US Veteran with VA service connected disabilities but also Military Retired.  I may need to look at not only FMP (VA Side) but also the Military TRICARE Overseas (For over 20-Year Active Service Retirement).  How will it work when you have both options? Does anyone know if I can get service at a medical facility in the Punta Cana/Bavaro area?

vicml1 wrote:

Hello, This is great information.  I am US Veteran with VA service connected disabilities but also Military Retired.  I may need to look at not only FMP (VA Side) but also the Military TRICARE Overseas (For over 20-Year Active Service Retirement).  How will it work when you have both options? Does anyone know if I can get service at a medical facility in the Punta Cana/Bavaro area?

I've got the same situation and questions.   US Military retired.  I've been retired long enough that I've got significant health issues in addition to my service-connected problems,

However, our needs aren't quite the same.  We intend only to "snow bird" there in the winter months, at least for the next several years, then we'll reconsider. 

Same as Vic, I very much appreciate all of the inputs and advice here on the thread.  I will follow it closely.

I'm veteren and would like to get my vaccination in Puerta Plata any assistance would be truly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums.  You can go and get vaccinated with your passport at any location available. There is no cost.  Sites change regularly so someone from Puerto Plata know the recent locations?

kacarruth817 wrote:

I'm veteren and would like to get my vaccination in Puerta Plata any assistance would be truly appreciated.

Thank you for your service!

Check this website for locations. It's not always up to date, but it's a place to start looking for local vaccination clinics.

VacunateRD - Centers

I will have tons of questions. I am 100% service connected and planning to relocate to the DR in Jan 2022. I will appreciate any and all information you can give me on getting enrolled in the VA on the north coast of the DR! My service connection is for PTSD, MST and thyroid disorder. Do I need to apply for other overseas health insurance coverage as well? I am confused as to what they will take care of as here in the US, the VA handles everything for me including dental. Any assistance you can give me would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!
Jacqueline Brunson-Scott

Hello, I recently joined this forum because I'm moving to Puerto Plata next month to live permanently,  I'm also 100% disabled and a retired vet. I stopped by the VA clinic on my last trip down. Check out the Foreign Mefical Program, that is what the clinic operates under, they explaied the paperwork and it is as if you were transferring g from one VA hospital to another in the states (which I have done 3 times).  The VA website will explain the FMP and should answer most if not all of your questions. When I arrive and transfer I will post my experience on the posts that mention this.

I can tell you from personal experience that https://iwellnessvetcenter.com in Santiago WORKS!!!! You must first make your claim through the VA website and be SURE to tell them that you live in the DR. My appointment was made for me at no expense and was great.  Doctor Robinson Collado, (829) 895-6930. Please pass this info on to all US vets living here in the DR.

Thank you so much! Congratulations on your move to the DR! I have 44 days and a wake-up. 😀

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it very much!

Welcome to the forums. Maybe I can help you out I've been through the same thing as you. I myself pay for assurance there it's called humano and I get the royal or everything is covered minus 15% which is kind of like a co-payment. It also includes dental and eye. I can say over the last two and a half years I've never had an issue I just go to the local doctor they take the program and everything is easy. I know an x-ray for example I paid $4 for it . I know it used to be $5,980 pesos every 3 months but when I just renewed mine it went up to 6,500 pesos. But for what you get you cannot go wrong. The first year I will move there I ended up getting travelers insurance and I think I paid 475 for 2 months at a time it was ridiculously expensive and finding someone that takes it there was nearly impossible. Usually I had to pay and then the insurance company would reimburse me it was metlife's blue insurance I believe I have it somewhere if you need it. But yes there's a lot of insurance salesman on the island and they offer like three different plans and they're really comparative to health insurance in the US but at a fraction of the cost. When you need prescriptions if they're not the type where you can just buy at the pharmacist some of them your doctor on the island has to call in your prescription and the insurance works the same way usually pay 15% or whatever the price is if you have the Royal like myself.

Thank you for the information!

Canada has a reciprocal agreement between our Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) and the the US VA for treatment. I never had cause to use or test to see if it worked for the 8 winters I spent going to Phoenix AZ. Now that I found a new life with a lady from Moca in the DR, it would be nice if that agreement were extended here. Even as a VFW Life Member, I still cannot use, although I did stop at at the Santiago clinic once but the lady out front only spoke spanish and apparently no one else was there to answer questions. However, the new group plan available for us old farts (65+) that Planner helped get is going to be be handy....IMHO....

Thanks for your reply! I have 2.5 years God willing to turn 65.

Hi, Jacque here..
Currently I am being seen at the Eastern Colorado Healthcare System and because I am 100%, they see me for everything, not just my service connected conditions. I notice the FMP says veterans can be seen for their service connected conditions in the Dominican Republic but who do you guys see for non service connected conditions? I am wondering if I will have to get additional overseas health insurance or can we be seen at the VA Medical Center in San Juan, PR for anything not service connected? I was on hold with them twice, both times the call dropped after 30 minutes so I dont feel like being on hold just to have the call disconnected again.

By the way I am relocating to the Dominican Republic which is why I am inquiring!
Thanks in advance for any assistance or info.

I don't know about being able to go to the VA Medical Center in San Juan, but you probably want to have insurance here as well. You aren't going to want to fly or ferry to San Juan every time you need a doctor! Flights from SDQ or PUJ are about $250, and depending on where you live, you have the hassle of getting to the airport here, and then from the airport in San Juan to the Medical Center.

You can get good quality insurance here for $50 per month or so. It's worth it!

Thanks for your response!!

Will be in touch. Looking at taking over a hotel/resort upgrading to retreat and resort for events, am a therapist and alternative practitioner. Will also offer services to veterans discounted as I have full health clinic in the states and will bring parts of that to DR place.
Although I know locals aren't interested in therapy, ex pats are and most of my business will come from online for that piece.
Definitely want to be able to connect with fellow vets and provide alternative health and wellness options. Looking to connect with any like minded individuals and info sharing.

Welcome to the forums.  Please go to the new members page and introduce yourself to us.

Keep your Disiblities quiet don't share them or trust anybody with your information it is a 3rd world country and they are there to make money off of you. Jealousy is real and is all around especially when your rating is is known to others.

Armasmi - certainly wish you all the best in your venture. Would be great if you find a suitable location on the North Coast. As a Canadian Vet but a Life VFW member, I don't get to sue the clinics open to the US Vets but would make regular trips to areas in the Cabarete/Sosua/Puerto Plata -especially if you good massage therapists were part of your program.....cheers

Armasmi - I hope you realize you can't just "bring parts of your clinic here"

There are rules that need to be followed and adjusted to. Licenses need to be attained, qualifications all translated and submitted etc.  It's a long process.  I am not a vet but I know vet services are needed and the need is growing.

You will need to hire and train people here as well, you will have to be prepared for that.

We have a resurgence in tourism which is great but makes finding a resort / hotel to take over challenging!   

We will all be flowing with interest.

@RutledgeParker
I am a Texan living in Puerto Rico, 100% disabled vet.  The VA Caribbean Medical Center in San Juan is a complete VA medical facility, just like any VA hospital you can find in any of the states.  Since Puerto Rico is a US territory, it should be like going to any VA facility in the states. 

I agree that getting ahold of anyone at the hospital is a pain in the neck via the phone - I hate having to call for anything.  That being said, if you don't speak Spanish, when you call the hospital, just push 1 and then 0 after the message starts.  That will put you into the que for the switchboard - humans answer that line.  Just be insistent that they stay on the line with you while trying to get an extension - that way, when the clinic doesn't answer, they can try one of their other numbers (they won't tell you about) to get a hold of someone.

Hope this helps. 
You realize this is the Dominican Republic right, not Puerto Rico

So this isn't overly helpful