What "foods" cannot be sent to DR for Coronavirus Help?

I have many friends that are needing help and have asked for money.

I KNOW.. I KNOW ..... I  K N O W !    DONT DO IT.

But they are friends with children and one is my ex-fiance with two boys that I love.

So, I was thinking.. with the cost of food why not send them FOOD and thinking they will get more for the money? 

FYI I found that (mailboxes etc) ships from the USA to their local MBE offices in DR (Santo Domingo, Santiago and La Romana that I know of) for 280DP per pound all taxes paid (FOB from Miami offices).  Of course I also have to pay for shipping TO their MIAMI offices.

I can give more details on the process of how to set up MBE services and how it works if you want to ask me but my point is.....

Are there any foods other than fruit that are not allowed to ship INTO DR?

And, I also need help (being a single male) what "dry" food goods you might suggest would be best to send families with children. 

I need to keep in mind the "weight".  Heavier products and glass jars would not be ideal.  Rice? Sugar? Flour? Oatmeal? other DOMINICAN STAPLES?

If interested in the MBE process I can let you know how it goes (I have shipped this way before but it was for car parts).  I need to figure out the total cost of the food with the shipping to Miami and the additional 280DP per pound.  I want to see if it actually helps them with more food than they could buy if I sent them the same total cost in cash. 

Also, FYIexPat info I found in my search.  Here is a site (out of Woodlands Texas) offering to deliver food, breakfast, lunch, dinner and other to Dominican customers.  Search DeliverDominican.  I have not used them and this is not a recommendation.  ONLY an FYI.

Regards and thank you for any consideration in replying,
I Am zacharias

For the.money you will spend on shipping - just send.money - and buy a lot more with it!   And you support.local businesses when it's bought here.

If you worry the money wont  be used for food,.send it to someone you trust. They can buy food and deliver.it!

Shipping costs are terrible. Send money as it is cheaper

And it supports the local economy!

Here in New York,Bronx area they ship door to door,I think, it's been a while,3'× 5' box is $65,$75 and a plastic 55 gallon drum which you buy from them, maybe,$20 bucks and ship for$125 and you can put in whatever you want and the shipping company gives you a 20lb bag of rice and a gallon of oil,gratis.ps.-weight not a problem

For the cost of the contents and the cost of shopping  you can do so much more here directly!

In my case my medical insurance covers $100.us every month for vitamins, toothpaste etc.,so nothing out of pocket and during this horrible time people and companies donate so I have plenty of canned items and used and new clothes so in my case it's worth it.But also send money.cover all bases.

Vitamins and toothpaste are not food items.  You can send those without issue.  Again the cost of shipping may or.may not make this worthwhile.  .

I believe it has some.bemefit.if you ship directly to a registered charity!

Just saying everything thing I shipped is via donation so I just pay $65 dollars door to door and since there are no real supermercados in Barahona and food products from me offer more variety and quality andI know vitamins and toothpaste aren't food products as is the clothing I send is going to a specific family.ps- lived in the DR and been going there for 30 years.,and this works for me.thx

Tass56 wrote:

In my case my medical insurance covers $100.us every month for vitamins, toothpaste etc.,so nothing out of pocket and during this horrible time people and companies donate so I have plenty of canned items and used and new clothes so in my case it's worth it.But also send money.cover all bases.

How do you get your medical insurance to cover those items?

Tass  good for you!   Glad it works.  Food products - no meat that is not in a can,  no fruits or veggies (cant see you sending that anyway)

JD,As of now I live in NY but via my Medicare insurance.,only 63 but on disability.Having said that many insurance companies,have Fidelis  and they offer an OTC card in which I can spend a $100 a month on pharmacy items and use or loss it., balance doesn't carry over month to month.But it's always a guessing game what they cover.Most vitamins ,dental supplies,sun block etc.most things I need..hope that helps u.

Tass

thanks for your reply but I am a little confused.

can you give more detail on sending "donation"?

what is required to send a "donation" and how would it include sending to a family instead of an organization?

what is and what is Not allowed as a donation?

and finally what is the size and weight limit for $65 and who are  you using to ship door to door for $65

thanks so much

Western Union, Carib Express, Moneygram.