An Open Appeal to the Resorts and Restaurants Closing on Bali

It's no secret or surprise that a great many resorts and restaurants on Bali are “temporarily” closing in Bali as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.  The fact is, here in Bali, a “great many” literally means most, and the numbers of them are staggering.

Within all of these resorts and restaurants one can find huge resources of food supplies…supplies which may too easily be ignored and simply written off as a tax deduction when their “shelf life/storage life” is attained.

Looking into this issue a bit, I have found some viable options to the simple tax write off approach to these time limited resources.

One approach, or, the first of several approaches, is to let the local staff of these resorts and restaurants have free access to these food products for their families.  On many levels I find this approach most reasonable, especially considering that for most of these associated workers, their loss of salary, wages, and tips will be a huge burden for their families.

A second approach is for these entities to make these food products available for purchase at prices equivalent to, or even less than, the original cost of their acquisition.  While I prefer the gifting of this food to furloughed employees, the fact is that a considerable quantity of these foods will have little, if any, appeal to the Balinese.  This approach could obviously be engaged after the “give away” to staff is fully engaged.

The third approach…the worst approach IMHO, is to let these food resources stay where they are…continuing to draw down on the resources needed to temporarily maintain them (electricity for freezers and refrigerators) and take the tax write off once totally spoiled and of no use. 

Within the Balinese culture, the role of bantem…food offerings, is essential.   All food is a form of gratitude that is offered to the Gods, nature, family, and society.

Hungry people tend to be less than fussy what they eat. I'd go with giving it away to the poor and writing it off as a tax loss that way.
Saves the electricity as well

LOL!  I hear you my friend, but if "the chips were down" I think I'd opt to chewing on banana skins before I'd ever take on durian!   :o

The simple truth is, Bali is way too incredibly rich with its endless agricultural resources to ever likely get into a crisis involving food shortages.  Couple that with the community life style that is still commonplace here..."I'll trade you 5 mangoes for 300 grams of pork loin" and I simply don't see this issue as being slightly threatening to life on Bali.

Pity it can't be shipped to poor villages in Java, or even to Jakarta.
We went shopping yesterday and dropped into a KFC. My wife gave hers to a kid that she saw outside. The kid ate everything except the bones, and they were licked clean.
Wasting food is a crime when there are street kids with nothing to eat.

Again I hear you, and I cannot agree with you more about the crime of wasting food.  As I mentioned earlier, its role as bantem (offerings) within Bali Agama Hindu elevates food to a level which I've never seen in any society.

One will never find a garbage disposal in the kitchen of any Balinese home.  Food scraps are collected for the pigs or other animals/fish...a natural and common sense way of keeping the idea of bantem. 

And that said, I cannot over emphasis the fact that Bali is indeed the world's best "farm" I have ever encountered.  It's much more difficult to compile a list of what does not grow here, as opposed to the endless list of what thrives here.  And this thriving is not limited to farms...indeed...it is present in most all Balinese compounds.

Sorry however there are already plenty of hungry people in Bali.

Given your ministerial role as an Anglican priest and your location in one of the richest areas of Bali (Nusa Dua), where a number of top resorts are located, you might be in a perfect position to help address the issue I raised in my original post.   ;)

I have owned a coffee shop/restaurant in Bali for 10 years. In March when we closed, all of the perishable, short life stock were offered and given to staff. Even though we have continued to pay our staff, many of their family and friends will be doing it tough so these items certainly won't go to waste.

Excellent!  The banjar way of dealing with hardship and problems. 

As the excellent saying goes, "it takes a village."

You have made an excellent proposition supported by good arguments in favour of giving food especially to those who are your second family in the business. Also extending the balance  generously to the community near the  cooking facilities.

Sometimes doing that requires administration and costs, and perhaps even draw attention of the law enforcement agencies, as food hygiene and rules do impose on what a food operator my give away even for free.......expiry dates, licensed items, and packaging laws, etc

However providing food for those who need it is a great mission worthy of praise and emulation. I support it and feel you have outlined a worthy cause. Not sure I can contribute much as Ido not own a food supply business. Just good at eating only :D