COVID-19 and expatriation in the Netherlands

Hello everybody,

The COVID-19 crisis inevitably impacts the Netherlands, between closed airports or periods of containment in some cities or even the entire country .
We would like to hear from you during this unusual period, to find out what the consequences of this pandemic are on your expatriation or expatriation project in the Netherlands.

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in the Netherlands, do you plan to return to your home country?

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Have any of you ended your expatriation in the Netherlands unexpectedly?

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

What are your plans for the future?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope you are doing well.

Loïc.

I would say that the COVID didn't change my expat plans but it strengthened them.

I'm an Italian girl who went to the Netherlands for her erasmus program and fell in love with a dutch guy. I'm sure you heard this story before. We have been dealing with the distance for almost two years and we were already thinking we needed to fix the situation at some point.

The COVID made me realise that I should not give travelling so much for granted. We have been far away for 2 months now and I don't know for how long this will last. What I know is that the next time "a COVID" will come I want to be with the people I love.

So, I'm now spending this time to organize my expatriation plan, hoping I'll be able to actuate it by next autumn.