COVID-19 and expatriation in Cambodia

Hello everybody,

The COVID-19 crisis inevitably impacts Cambodia, between closed airports or periods of containment in some cities or even the entire country .
We would like to hear from you during this unusual period, to find out what the consequences of this pandemic are on your expatriation or expatriation project in Cambodia.

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in Cambodia, do you plan to return to your home country?

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Have any of you ended your expatriation in Cambodia unexpectedly?

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

What are your plans for the future?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope you are doing well.

Loïc.

Hi. I am living in Hanoi Vietnam now. I really cannot leave nor do I want to. The world is a dangerous place now. Feeling safer is not like feeling safe. I would have gone to Cambodia in May. Now I believe I won't and will just stay in Vietnam and ask for an extension of my visa. I had thought of getting an ER extension for a year in Cambodia. Now am just faking it day by day.  I would definitely not go back to the US. I don't live there. There is nothing there for me and the news is terrible where I lived years ago in the SF Bay Area.

Truth is covid-19 has made completely upended the world. It's too hard to look beyond today. I live and live where I want in Southeast Asia for years. I decided after years To stop roaming around in Southeast Asia and settle down a bit. I picked vietnam to do that. I never knew then we would be confronted with a pandemic like this. I would have stayed in Vietnam a year and went to my favorite places like Cambodia Malaysia and perhaps Laos. Now the reality is different and I cannot think that far out. I'm retired and go as I please in Southeast Asia. That has all changed. So the best way for me is to not try to second guess what happens next. My project is my happiness and seeing friends in Vietnam and Cambodia. Covid-19 has disrupted that. So now i go day by day in Hanoi Vietnam.

You are correct about going back to San Francisco, might as well order yourself a coffin before you leave Vietnam!  Lived there myself years ago and living in Las Vegas for now.  Wise decision to stay put and stay tight.  If I may offer some suggestions to make your conditions better, there are products there that is more available there than over here and less expensive.  It's even cheaper and easy to make your own product that will greatly protect your from bacteria and viruses in general.  Coronavirus is new so little tests made on safe products that would kill it except for 70% alcohol solution which is toxic using it long term.  However a solution base HOCL Water is safe and much stronger than chlorine.  If you google "HOCL Water benefits"  that would give you basic info about it to start. 

Currently I'm working on my own disinfectant solution that is safe, non-toxic and very effective and with multiple uses and applications to keep myself and surrounding "bug free".  It's no guarantee of keeping healthy but being in Vegas, I like my odds!  If you look at the long term cost, it's cheaper and more effective buying a bunch of products.  Main draw back is that the product has a short shelf life at full strength from 30 to 60 days depending on how you store it.  Also, to make it requires learning and spending some money.  But if you got the cash, time and desire; you can increase your personal health protection for yourself, your surroundings and others.  Also maybe make some money starting a business once you learn and understand how to make it.  It this interests you and want to learn more about what I'm doing, pls send me a private ****   I'm not online that often on this site.  Only to check up on what's happening in Cambodia where I was living and came back for personal reasons in nov 2018 and got stuck here again and dealing with the VA.  I was planning to go back but now it's wait and see what happens.

If you are collecting SSI and your income is less than 75K, expect in a few weeks to get $1,200 from SSA if you are on direct deposit.  If not, you may want to check if you are eligible otherwise.  It's a one shot payment to all US Citizens eligible. Maybe something worth checking into more. 

I wish you a safe and healthy stay there. I once planned to visit Vietnam with a friend but he died.  I was living in Sihanoukville at that time.  The closest I've been to Hanoi was during the war when I was in Laos, about 100k away.  I heard it's nicer there than Ho Chi Min city.  I may check it out if and when the opportunity arises.  Take Care.

Hiram Hiramoto

Moderated by Loïc 4 years ago
Reason : for security reasons, we do not accept personal information on the forum. Share them through the private message system
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Cambodia for me is the best country on the planet, so obviously COVID has interrupted a few registrations which were due to happen on the pharmaceutical side. I have a pharmaceutical co there and in SA mainly in anaesthetic IV drugs and a very good skin product. The permanent move was going to happen in August however it now looks more likely to only go ahead next year. It has taken 5 years of my life to try make it as simple as possible however moving anywhere in the world is complex and expensive but for me SR and the beaches in the Gulf are unbeatable. SR will be the base although PP is a thriving city but SR just stands head and shoulders above anywhere I have been in Asia as a place to live. The Cambodian people are magnificent people and we will and already are helping people there.

Good day,

First of all, I would like to thank you for you reaching out.

I am settled in Cambodia, not planning on returning home because this is my new home!
The only struggle is that I have to wait for the schools to open to get a job as a teacher.
I have applied at several other companies other than schools, but no feedback, or just a plain "No foreigners!"
But I'm hanging in there.

Kind regards

Arrived at my UK Home Sunday 12th after involuntarily extending my PP home stay by 2 weeks. Split between my two families now for many years, both important. Happiest in Cambodia, with loving partner and stepson but recent granddaughter a powerful pull here! If I were younger, and fewer UK ties (inc. excellent friends) I could very happily live in S-E Asia. I would like to see Vietnam more but love Cambodia, place and people dearly. Good luck and be safe to all of us. William.

Chariska - very sad to see Xenophobia runs everywhere, not just in the reviled "West" I have experienced none in Cambodia to date, though I've heard occasional reports.

Hi Johnfin  Have you been there in the hot months?   I'm interested in Cambodia  because it's easy to register a biz,   but it seems pretty bloody hot there.

I lived and worked in Vietnam for a number of years, 4 years in Hanoi and then three years in Saigon.  I thought about retiring in country, probably around Danang but in the end decided against that due to the inconvenience of leaving the country every three months to renew the visa. So I decided to move to Cambodia- I spent some time in Siem Reap and it's the sort of place that suits me, rather than PP.  However I had planned to make the move in July this year after I finish working for a living , and now I am stuck in New Zealand until  further notice.  NZ is a good little place, safe and clean,  but not where I want to be. Maybe border restrictions and international travel will ease up by July....who knows.

As an Expat, I have been asked the question about the possible consequences of continuing to live in Cambodia during the COVID-19 pandemic.

I have lived in Cambodia now, for about seven years.

Due to COVID-19, if I'm being honest, I have thought long and hard, about the possible consequences of living here, and not in my home country during these difficult times that we are all now facing worldwide.

Am I more likely to catch this virus living here in Cambodia, or less likely to catch it in my home country? I don't think anyone could answer that question, given the circumstances?

Financially the virus has no impact on me what-so-ever.  The only issue I and I think most people would have is the standard of medical care available here.

Has that tipped the balance for me to go home and to return when the situation has improved?

For me, the answer is no.

I have just put into practice everything I would be doing if I was in my home country. By that I mean, I stay home as much as possible and I never go out without wearing a surgical mask. Where possible, I try to keep social distancing to a minimum. I continually clean my hands with hand sanitizer, who amongst us would have ever thought, that our hands would consume more alcohol than our mouths lol. Only joking, I live in Chom Chao 1,so far from 51 st and all the other bars.

But seriously, I know this pandemic is impacting on the Khmer and Expats alike, so I think it's good that we have a web site like this to try and get the answers to our many questions. For those Expats stuck in Cambodia and are looking for cheaper accommodation until this blows over, look on this site or ***. I myself rent rooms on a monthly basis for fewer dollars than you would pay weekly in a three star hotel in Phnom Penh.

I wish all Khmer and Expats alike, good luck and to stay safe. Your safety and wellbeing is in your own hands, so to speak,

Hello  I lived in Cambodia on and off for a couple years.   I split my time between PP and Kampot. In early February I left to go visit friends in the Philippines for what  I thought would be a month or six weeks.  Soon after arriving here the Covid19 crisis exploded.   The Philippines cancelled all flights out.      I am stuck here for now.  They are supposed to lift the flight ban out on May 1.    I'm having a hard time getting reliable info on when I can renter Cambodia.    I dearly miss Cambodia.  I'm so ready to get back there.   Can any one provide info on when Cambodia will reopen?     When hotels and restos will reopen in PP?    What the latest is on flights into the country?    There is not a lot of info on any web site I have looked at.   Appreciate any valid info.   Thanks.

Hi. I would consult a Cambodian consulate if you can. I am not sure if there is one in Philippines. I'm in Vietnam and will make it back at some point.   I have seen just about every story imaginable about borders and flights resuming so would go with official diplomatic news. Some of the consulates have email addresses. The US embassy here in Hanoi answers after a day or so.

Thanks for your input.   I will try the Cambodian consulate .  Just today I am hearing the Philippine government may extend the ban on flights out of Cebu until June 1.    That is bad news if true.  I have not been able to confirm that.   Nothing I can do   I'm stuck in my motel until they reopen the airport.      Crazy times.   Thanks again.  Gary

W20415.

Your problem is not only that you can't get out of the Phi,  the other problem is that you cannot enter Cambodia,  all borders are closed for foreigners.

How long that lasts is depending on several factors,  the main one being the state of infections.  Right now it's going quite well with no cases in the last 3 days.
But,  we are in the middle of Khmer New Year and although all festivities are postponed and a travel ban is implemented,  in order to stop people going to their province and celebrate,  thousands of Cambodians have "fled" the larger cities to go home.

Not the the whole project has failed,  I read that 95% of garment workers keep working,  so it is a partial success.

What has to be seen is if those that celebrate, usually in large groups,  will be back to work safe and sound.

If not I foresee a state of emergency if cases soar and then we might have another month of stay home, travel restrictions and closed borders ahead of us after May 1.

It's all up to the people,  if they are and remain careful it will be over soon,  Cambodia is one of the safest countries in SE Asia and named By the WHO in the category "sporadic cases".

Let's hope the Cambodian people that celebrate at home stay healthy,  and that goes for all of us.

Cheers 

Joe

Well it depends on two possible outcomes: 1, they recognise the need to rebuild tourism market asap since its a large part of the economy, and so start to reissue tourist visas.
or 2, they blame foreigners for the infections and keep the borders closed for much longer to keep them out. Only time will tell but my pick is closed borders until June at the earliest.

I agree that it's easy to blame foreigners.

Looking at the data, of 122 cases 71 were foreigners  and 40 were Cambodians returning from a gathering in Malaysia.

That leaves only 11 "domestic" cases.

Not many cases anymore since the borders got closed.

It's indeed the traveling desire of many people that caused the virus to spread.
The virus doesn't move,  we humans let it move and spread.

Stay safe.

Joe

Hi, not sure what country your from?  I'm from the UK and living in Cambodia for the last 7 years. I managed to get back from the uk to Cambodia just over a week ago via korea. To get back in I needed a fit to fly certificate, basically saying I wasn't showing symptoms of covid 19, and travel insurance with medical cover up to $50.000. I had a little hassle with immigration, but was allowed in. They have stopped issuing visas on arrival since 31st March,  but I had my 1 year retirement visa.

I get most of my info from https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice if you select Cambodia from the list of countries towards the bottom of the page, it will give you a rough idea of what's going on. You can sign up via email to be notified everytime the Cambodia page is updated.  Another good place for info is hun sens  Facebook page or the phnom Penh post. I have cut and pasted the latest info from the uk government web site, its alot to read, and only some will concern you. Anyway I hope it helps, and good luck in getting back.

There are restrictions on travellers coming from, and nationals of, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the USA and Iran.

Foreign travel advice

Cambodia

!COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice

As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving.

SummaryCoronavirusReturn to the UKSafety and securityTerrorismLocal laws and customsEntry requirementsHealthMoneyTravel advice help and supportSubscriptions Get email alerts  Subscribe to feed

Summary

Still current at:The FCO assisted the departure of British nationals and dependents from Phnom Penh on a special commercial flight on 14 April. The only other flight option out of Cambodia to the UK is via Seoul with Korean Airways (limited availability). ('Return to the UK' page)

Coronavirus: stay up to date

Cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) have been confirmed in Cambodia. See information on measures introduced in Cambodia to limit the spread of the virus. Find out how to return to the UK from Cambodia.

See coronavirus travel advice for guidance on international travel.

The Prime Minister announced on 9 April, a ban on all travel between provinces. This ban will come in to effect at midnight 9 April and last until midnight 16 April.

We know that this will be of concern to all of you who are based outside of Phnom Penh and were planning on catching flights over the coming days. Our Embassy gained agreement from the authorities that any British nationals travelling to Phnom Penh to catch flights will be allowed through checkpoints. Our strong advice is that anyone who has a flight booked or is planning to fly before 16 April, travels to Phnom Penh as soon as possible.

There is a special commercial flight to London departing from Phnom Penh at 00:05 on 14 April. Please see Return to the UK.

The only other flight options out of Cambodia to the UK are via Seoul with Korean Airways (limited availability.) See Return to the UK.

The Cambodia-Laos, Cambodia-Thailand and the Cambodia-Vietnam land borders are all closed. The border crossings will remain closed until further notice.

If you would like to sign-up with the Embassy then please email [email protected]. Please also follow the Embassy Facebook page to keep up to date with the latest developments.

If you choose to remain, you must follow the advice of local authorities. The Cambodian Prime Minister announced on 7 April the cancellation of the Khmer New Year holiday which should have taken place from 13 to 16 April. The cancellation will apply to both the private and public sector. See Coronavirus

Around 162,395 British nationals visited Cambodia in 2017. Most visits are trouble-free but there have been reports of assaults and robberies against foreigners. See Crime

The UK Government is advising that British nationals aged 70 and over, and those with underlying health conditions like chronic diseases and diabetes, do not travel on cruise ships. Please go to GOV.UK for further information.

UK health authorities have classified Cambodia as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For information and advice about the risks associated with Zika virus, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

Although there's no recent history of terrorism in Cambodia, attacks can't be ruled out. See Terrorism

If you're abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurancebefore you travel.

Coronavirus

Cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) have been confirmed in Cambodia. The Cambodian authorities have introduced a number of measures to limit the spread of the virus.

You should comply with any additional screening measures put in place by the Cambodian authorities.

Entry and borders

There are restrictions on travellers coming from, and nationals of, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the USA and Iran.

If you're visiting or living in Cambodia and intend to leave, you should do so as soon as possible. The only current flight option out of Cambodia to the UK is via Seoul.

For information on how to return to the UK from Cambodia, see Return to the UK

The Cambodia-Laos, Cambodia-Thailand and Cambodia-Vietnam land borders are closed.

Visas

Suspension of tourist visas, e-visas, visa on arrival and visa exemptions came in to effect on 31 March.

The Ministry of Interior announced on 3 April that all British nationals in Cambodia on a tourist visa valid from 1 January 2020 onwards, would have them automatically extended and any overstay charges waived until they can depart Cambodia.

Further information

Further information on coronavirus, including advice on preparing for foreign travel and helping reduce the spread of the virus, is available on the TravelHealthPro website.

You can find more information about cases in Cambodia on the TravelHealthPro country page.

Coronavirus

Cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) have been confirmed in Cambodia. The Cambodian authorities have introduced a number of measures to limit the spread of the virus.

You should comply with any additional screening measures put in place by the Cambodian authorities.

Entry and borders

If you're visiting or living in Cambodia and intend to leave, you should do so as soon as possible. The only current flight option out of Cambodia to the UK is via Seoul.

For information on how to return to the UK from Cambodia, see Return to the UK

The Cambodia-Laos, Cambodia-Thailand and Cambodia-Vietnam land borders are closed.

Visas

Suspension of tourist visas, e-visas, visa on arrival and visa exemptions came in to effect on 31 March.

The Ministry of Interior announced on 3 April that all British nationals in Cambodia on a tourist visa valid from 1 January 2020 onwards, would have them automatically extended and any overstay charges waived until they can depart Cambodia.

Further information

Further information on coronavirus, including advice on preparing for foreign travel and helping reduce the spread of the virus, is available on the TravelHealthPro website.

You can find more information about cases in Cambodia on the TravelHealthPro country page.

Thank you  for the web link all the updated info.   I'm a US citizen but I have no intentions or desire to return to the  US.     I ll  just have to wait it out until Cambodia re opens. Again,  thanks for the link.   I ll reference that web site.  Gary

Hi Gary. You can also sign up for the step program at the US embassy website for Philippines  and list your destination as Cambodia. They send daily alerts out via email on the latest news about travel borders and closures. You can also send specific queries to embassy staff in Philippines. I found the daily emails from the embassy here to be useful. They also include news items on local issues or lockdowns or closures. If you send email to the embassy staff I found at least here in Hanoi they answered within two days.

Hello JohnFin.... what does SR stand for?

Pretty sure it's Siem Reap? I'm usually based, and very happy, in Phnom Penh. Used to enjoy frequent visits with my Khmer family & friends to Sihanoukville - not any more. :-(

Willdduff wrote:

Pretty sure it's Siem Reap? I'm usually based, and very happy, in Phnom Penh. Used to enjoy frequent visits with my Khmer family & friends to Sihanoukville - not any more. :-(

You should!
I was in Sihanoukville last month and saw great improvements at the beaches.
Stone structures are erected in a similar fashion,  to be rented by bars and restaurants.
It gives the whole a uniform and organized picture.

I got pics but cannot upload them here.

Beaches are very clean too.

Cheers 

Joe

Joe, is this pretty recent? It is over a year, but it was a mixture of a building site and tower block hotels. Our lovely scruffy, friendly "Smile" Korean Guesthouse was still there, but I felt they would be cleared soon. Like to try again, many happy years in the past, and a base to the islands. Thanks. Will.

Will,  5 weeks ago.

@WildDuff  Ah of course. Thank you :)

hdgh29 wrote:

I lived and worked in Vietnam for a number of years, 4 years in Hanoi and then three years in Saigon.  I thought about retiring in country, probably around Danang but in the end decided against that due to the inconvenience of leaving the country every three months to renew the visa. So I decided to move to Cambodia- I spent some time in Siem Reap and it's the sort of place that suits me, rather than PP.  However I had planned to make the move in July this year after I finish working for a living , and now I am stuck in New Zealand until  further notice.  NZ is a good little place, safe and clean,  but not where I want to be. Maybe border restrictions and international travel will ease up by July....who knows.

I'm in a similar situation. I have never worked in Vietnam, but considered retiring there because I've spent a lot of time in this country traveling, am studying the language and know a few people by now. But the visa situation is just not acceptable in the long run, and Cambodia has a lot going for it too, even though the infrastructure is certainly better in Vietnam.

Personally i liked the quietness in Kep and Kampot, and their proximity to PP and the sea, but that was 4 or 5 years ago.
Right now I'm also ‘stuck' at what I still call home, (Switzerland), hopefully the borders are going to open soon...

I think the good part is that, when the borders reopen and international flights restart,  it will be mostly people like us, who are looking to retire,  and less tourists and holidaymakers. Which should mean better prices and no crowds. I hope!

hdgh29 wrote:

I think the good part is that, when the borders reopen and international flights restart,  it will be mostly people like us, who are looking to retire,  and less tourists and holidaymakers. Which should mean better prices and no crowds. I hope!

Well, maybe accommodations and food and the like are getting cheaper, mainly at places that were overrun with tourists before. I can't see airfares getting much lower than before. Who knows, with the looming bankruptcies and takeovers there might be less competition, eg higher prices...

Accommodation and food,  say daily life,  are very important to expats.

Airfares are not important at all as expats choose a country to retire and stay there most of the time.

But I think you're right,  the airline industry is at the bottom and it will be hard for them to resurrect.  Low prices are not part of it.

Speaking for myself,  I'm an expat in SE Asia for 13 years now,  8 years in Thailand and 5 years in Cambodia.
To me accommodation and food are the main costs to consider,  it makes the difference between living comfortably,  as I have been until now,  and living under stress.

Let's hope all will work out fine.

Cheers 

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

Accommodation and food,  say daily life,  are very important to expats.

Airfares are not important at all as expats choose a country to retire and stay there most of the time.

To me accommodation and food are the main costs to consider,  it makes the difference between living comfortably,  as I have been until now,  and living under stress.

Let's hope all will work out fine.

Cheers 

Joe

Well, not all expats are retired, there are also those who are working, and they tend to travel (by plane) more often.
And accommodation wise, I think it will mainly get cheaper for tourists, not so much for residents (expats). For those of us who get our retirement or disability payments in a foreign currency (eg most of us, I guess),  the exchange rate could make more of a difference than the prices...