COVID-19 and expatriation in Brazil

Hello everybody,

The COVID-19 crisis inevitably impacts Brazil, between closed airports or periods of containment in some cities or even the entire country .
We would like to hear from you during this unusual period, to find out what the consequences of this pandemic are on your expatriation or expatriation project in Brazil.

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in Brazil, do you plan to return to your home country?

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Have any of you ended your expatriation in Brazil unexpectedly?

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

What are your plans for the future?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope you are doing well.

Loïc.

I plan on Riding it out and enjoy the Sunset each day, the only thing changed is i am at home more and I like my house, as a matter of fact thinking of buying a new house.

...trying to stay healthy and see the light at the end of the tunnel and to quote our dear departed "James Woodward "  "Hope the Light is not a Freight Train"

...Peace and Love and Health to all..."Remember Sanitation is the Key"   God Bless Beutiful Bountiful Brasil....

"Remember Sanitation is the Key" 
Does anyone know if we can take a shower yet or should we just continue washing our hands?  :offtopic:

Texanbrazil wrote:

"Remember Sanitation is the Key" 
Does anyone know if we can take a shower yet or should we just continue washing our hands?  :offtopic:

As a Expat, you know the Rules a minimum of 6 showers a day and you must use your hands to get to all the bits and parts, face towels do no exist , Rule 2 after showering wash your hands...problem solved...kkk...Riding it out, going to hit the ATM today, portable hand Sanitizer in tow, tool into a grocery store, buy a few items to be determined at time of entry and come home wash my clothes and hands and then shower..I got this....just humor group, with all the doom and gloom lighten the he double hockey sticks up....and after the crisis Wah your Hands...kkk..take care all the Ride may go to June-September. ..Brasil has not seen the Global effect....I was wondering if 6ft is a good distance from my lady.👄. ...I am no happy about that....

6 feet below ground.......or standing away?  :joking:

Texanbrazil wrote:

6 feet below ground.......or standing away?  :joking:

I think he means 6ft below ground because it seems that he would rather get it than not staying glued
all over her... :lol:

I´m self-quarantined at this time and staying put.

Today 6ft below is good...yikes Braseleria. ...ouch....Doc you have the right plan as soon as I can catch a Greyhound I am in Self Quarentine. .....lol.....

Semi self Quarantine. Can go to bank, Mercado and clinic, et al. May go to Mercado tomorrow.

Texanbrazil wrote:

Semi self Quarantine. Can go to bank, Mercado and clinic, et al. May go to Mercado tomorrow.

Took about a hour walk across town, hills and cobblestone, made it to Central looking for a ATM and nobody knows nothing...nothing unusual there...lol...asked the Police nothing there...lol...just a zoo....I refuse to be locked totally down ,needed some fresh air, practiced social distancing shopped for a few items, shelves  full...only maybe 2 other people in the store...the clerks are being rude for they are essential personal , other than that will head out again tomorrow. ..I have no underlying medical problems , use hand Sanitizer just to use it , ..I am being good..l

Alascana wrote:

Today 6ft below is good...yikes Braseleria. ...ouch....Doc you have the right plan as soon as I can catch a Greyhound I am in Self Quarentine. .....lol.....

ALREADY!?!?!   :joking:

We're locked down:  go to the supermarket once a week, and for the occasional walk.  That "walk" includes a stop at E's grandmother's house if her TV's not working, because we're her Tech Support for everything.  :lol:

As for "ending my expatriation unexpectedly", the thought never crossed my mind.  I'm a dual national now, so it's my country, too.  Besides, It'd be hard to get out now.  Looks like the only flights to the US are leaving from SP, and getting from here to there right now would be difficult, if not impossible. And here in the North, we're not nearly as hard-hit, at least for now, as the Southeast, to say nothing of the US.

Yours is a well-stated candid roundup of the situation at hand. I think of my home constantly, but as big Frank Sinatra said, regrets, I have a few .... I guess being from NYC, life has a different perspective.  My concern now is to look into getting a power of atty in place, since I'm not a bona fide  citizen of BR as of yet. My language skills are almost non-existent & I worry if my BR spouse will precede me in the hereafter. The virus came along smack in the middle of my paperwork gathering from the US, and its arrival caused me to think of what if. You cannot count on family who encouraged our trek to our/my new country. I am happy if receive 1 call a month from a couple of them and nada from most. So, here I am in limbo. I know I need to make sure if the above happens & I have to start over. Thanks for your ear  :o

No problem Wazzup. We are here sheltered in place.
Duolingo is free is you want to learn a little.

One stride at a time Wazzup and stay focused. COVID-19 will pass and you´ll get your paperworks going again. If you really want to stay in Brazil, learn Portuguese well as Tex
suggested. All the best.

robal

Wazup, you will be fine much support here on this site....

Many thanks to all for your support. Wish everyone well,  esp during these crazy times. Salud :thanks:

Wazzup wrote:

Many thanks to all for your support. Wish everyone well,  esp during these crazy times. Salud :thanks:

Its all good, we all have been where you are at, it takes time to adjust and a climate and reel in the customs of Brasil..I go weeks with out contact from home, yet using Skype, Messenger and Facebook and Whatsapp , it's a whole differance here..I have moved once from Belem Para to Juazerio Bahia, visited Sao Paulo, Iheus island did not see the sloths there...lol..'and Bonfim Bahia, Macieo,  a few days in Recife...so I create my own entertainment. ..So Welcome, the people here are very knowledgeable and some days we form a consortium of thoughts and solutions..and some good laughs...take care and stay healthy...

My first thought how to keep my family safe. I did a lot of research and got the drug
Hydroxychloroquine 400mg. I did have symptoms fever,cough and body aches took one dose and with in 3 day all symptoms were gone. Now they are saying it may protect you from the virus. In January I told my wife we need to get a month worth of food so we did. So trying to have very little contact outside of the house. I think I got the virus when I received a package from the post office delivery person. No blaming them but think who has the most contact with many different people. My time at home I am doing more business over the phone now. So far very busy with my business. Just keeping in touch with family by phone every day. I wish everyone to be safe and well.

lol i wonder how many new births are going to show up around the 9 month mark now hahaha. only so much people can do in isolation

It's tough to be corraled together all  the time in
a defined space. As long as you don't choose to fight you can make boring moments enjoyable.But it can be expensive after 9 mos. ha ha  :D

Yup, many babies, if this goes to September my estimate the birth rate will start to jump in December and continue till June 2021...lol....

I am not bored and TV is my last option, may decide on Netflixs and Chill...I will not be the Father...kkk...

I don't mind being in the Same space with others,  they may mind being in the Same space as me, well they need to get over it, I have...read a funny about Alaska.."isolated since 1959"....that made my day.

I think to occupy my time I will read the "Whole Internet"....wish all well, remember your Hygeine, remember to remind others of hygiene and social distancing...

NewBrazil wrote:

My first thought how to keep my family safe. I did a lot of research and got the drug
Hydroxychloroquine 400mg. I did have symptoms fever,cough and body aches took one dose and with in 3 day all symptoms were gone. Now they are saying it may protect you from the virus. In January I told my wife we need to get a month worth of food so we did. So trying to have very little contact outside of the house. I think I got the virus when I received a package from the post office delivery person. No blaming them but think who has the most contact with many different people. My time at home I am doing more business over the phone now. So far very busy with my business. Just keeping in touch with family by phone every day. I wish everyone to be safe and well.

Now those who have taken it for years due to heath issues, we cannot find the drug. One needs to remember the drug was for lupus and Malaria and putting those at risk.

right , all we can do is take precautions, i work from home and provide for my family, thinking about hiring someone to go do our grocery shopping and leave outside of house on delivery , just pay electronically to avoid dealing with it. wash everything and let time roll by and fun times! you can always rent movies released in theaters now due to covid too so your not missing out on anything new release wise at least :)

me, I just high-tailed it to the back country of Brazil, back in February ....there hasn`t been one case within 100 miles of here ....

I am not letting any of this get to me, it's like a fad, yet real..I understand the severity, yet I will not buy into the fear..

Fear weakens the immune system...take care all, keep the positive, this will bring a new social networking. ...

If one has time look at thus article. ..
It speaks maybe or prepare for 18 months. ...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ameri … 2020-04-12

Yeah it's going to basically be a ripple effect. Will be felt everywhrre

It may hit "Tsunami" the effect is beyond my little mind.
We have a heated shower so I  know it gets above 80 degres , a few reports say taking hot showers helps combat the virus??
Hope all are well, my little town has nothing to report today...going out to Central the Stores are projected to open at 9am as well as the banks, I hope to be quick fast and on point..

Where i live the sun heats my caxia d'água due to 31-35 degree range all day so I'm feeling lucky not having to pay celpe the extra costs lol

FYI

Event: The U.S. Embassy in Brasilia would like to provide the following update on the security situation in Brazil related to COVID-19, including resources for personal safety and planning.

Authorities in several states have confirmed press reports of increased cyber-crimes that involve the use of email, cell phone messages, and various social engineering ruses to trick the user into providing personally identifiable information that could leave them vulnerable to associated financial or personal crimes.  The U.S. Embassy has also confirmed media reports of criminals posing as public health workers and police to assault individuals and residences.

Several state authorities across Brazil have announced prisoner release strategies to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.  As is common during regularly scheduled, seasonal prisoner furloughs throughout Brazil, some municipalities do experience correlated spikes in crime.

To minimize the risk of infection, several states and municipalities have announced the reduction of non-essential police services to investigate attempted crimes, and other non-life threatening crimes.  These reductions could include Polícia Civil investigators and municipal transportation authorities such as DETRANfor the resolution of car accidents.   Updates on the ongoing availability of such services can be found on the websites of each of Brazil's 26 states and the Federal District.  As of April 14, front-line first responders such as Polícia Militar and Bombeiro fire brigades in most cities are operating at full capacity.

Actions to Take:

·       Know how to contact the local authorities.

·       Employ ongoing personal security measures and be aware of your surroundings to minimize the risk of street theft and assault.

·       Exercise prudent caution when responding to inquiries from unknown sources in this environment.

·       In the event any individual(s) appears at your residence claiming to be a police officer or public health official, contact local authorities and do not open your door to individuals whose visit you are not expecting.

·       Visit the State Department's website for information on how to prepare for a crisis while in the U.S. or overseas

Thanks Tex!

"We have a heated shower so I  know it gets above 80 degres , a few reports say taking hot showers helps combat the virus??"

Not if it´s already inside you Grizz and happily multiplying!

Mikeflanagan wrote:

Where i live the sun heats my caxia d'água due to 31-35 degree range all day so I'm feeling lucky not having to pay celpe the extra costs lol

Wow Mike. You being Canadian, you don´t mind the heat and humidity?

Grizz! I see you´re still awake brother! It´s 0418. Or just an early bird?

robal wrote:

Its the Bird Thingy, had a few naps yesterday and I am still on the Alaska clock, like it's 11pm...
Being Retired has its advantages,  the  Lady.👄,  just attacked and she said no more naps...lol..

All the folks saying should have adjusted to Brasilian time and I be like after 37 years on a clock that is 5 -6 hours differant,  it does not change overnight and mix in a little insomnia and here I be at 4:36 am...lol

Living alone also is why.. having no one to report to or sleep with is part of the solution....

What's with this sleep thing where most think one has to sleep at night...lol....

I sleep when I can .....and when I do , please" Do Not Disturb the Bear".....

I have no Schedule to be Amy where or a Time to be There.....kkk...

Alascana wrote:
robal wrote:

Its the Bird Thingy, had a few naps yesterday and I am still on the Alaska clock, like it's 11pm...
Being Retired has its advantages,  the  Lady.👄,  just attacked and she said no more naps...lol..

All the folks saying should have adjusted to Brasilian time and I be like after 37 years on a clock that is 5 -6 hours differant,  it does not change overnight and mix in a little insomnia and here I be at 4:36 am...lol

Living alone also is why.. having no one to report to or sleep with is part of the solution....

What's with this sleep thing where most think one has to sleep at night...lol....

I sleep when I can .....and when I do , please" Do Not Disturb the Bear".....

I have no Schedule to be Amy where or a Time to be There.....kkk...

:D Me too. I just finished reading a book so I can sleep now. And I don´t have to report to anyone so
I´m free as a bird. I like that! Have a good morning! I just remembered I bought bacon yesterday... Steak, bacon and eggs it is! What a luxurious life full of privileges! See ya later Grizz...

robal

Great minds........ I too had steak & eggs this morning.

They just closed mercados to those over 60. Huh??????? They will set up volunteers to do shopping!
Yeah like I giving someone my money and they do not know brands I want.... Why not certain hours for broken down cowboys??????

I had 2 boiled eggs, and yesterday's sausage,  today's coffee ,cooked 4 boiled eggs used two to make Chicken Salad from yesterday's  chicken, why does one add eggs to Chicken Salad....

I took a power nap about 2pm, total of 5 minutes , and who knows , oh and I had cake and soda....interesting  day, can't wait for 3 am...lol...

On a crazier note I read the Mayor in Anchorage AK  is thinking about keeping the Quarantine going to June 15....I am just the messenger....

"On a crazier note I read the Mayor in Anchorage AK  is thinking about keeping the Quarantine going to June 15....I am just the messenger...."

Makes better sense than May 1st. But I wouldn´t doubt that it could be extended.