2020 U.S. ECONOMIC IMPACT PAYMENTS for Citizens Living Abroad

The recently authorized $1,200.00 USD ECONOMIC IMPACT PAYMENTS can be paid to U.S. citizens living abroad through the direct deposit system.

Here is the Internal Revenue Service's info webpage about special circumstances for those living abroad as well as citizens already receiving Social Security benefits, disability payments and Veterans Benefits:

irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

I was about to look this up. Thank you for sharing.

...and I followed a link to discover my tax refund will be mailed in three days time.   Thanks for the good news first thing in the morning.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

The recently authorized $1,200.00 USD ECONOMIC IMPACT PAYMENTS can be paid to U.S. citizens living abroad through the direct deposit system.

Here is the Internal Revenue Service's info webpage about special circumstances for those living abroad as well as citizens already receiving Social Security benefits, disability payments and Veterans Benefits:

irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

You Americans are so lucky to have such a wonderful top guy taking care of you during this crisis. I watch his speeches & am in complete awe & wonderment.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

In my thinking, if the payment is for US residents and we provide a foreign address in Form 1040, we wouldn't qualify for it, direct deposit notwithstanding. 

If you maintain a US address with the IRS then you wouldn't have any problem, but in that case, you would have to file state tax too.

Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

In my thinking, if the payment is for US residents and we provide a foreign address in Form 1040, we wouldn't qualify for it, direct deposit notwithstanding. 

If you maintain a US address with the IRS then you wouldn't have any problem, but in that case, you would have to file state tax too.

Oh no, nothing is straight forward, I was so happy for you all! Ah well dont give up :top:

Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Is your thinking based on having followed the link to the IRS site and looked at the frequently asked questions?

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the stimulus is actually for US Citizens and not just those who are physically residing in the 50 States

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Is your thinking based on having followed the link to the IRS site and looked at the frequently asked questions?

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the stimulus is actually for US Citizens and not just those who are physically residing in the 50 States

I read everything on that page but didn't see anything specific.  The NYT, however, did say U.S. citizens living abroad will also get a payment.  I ceased my particular thinking after that, but not because I trust The NYT.

Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I read everything on that page but didn't see anything specific.  The NYT, however, did say U.S. citizens living abroad will also get a payment.  I ceased my particular thinking after that, but not because I trust The NYT.

COULD IT BE JUST A COINCIDENCE THAT ITS APRIL 1ST :lol:

Ciambella and Oceanbeach both are partially correct or incorrect both. You may not be physically there but you may be tax resident or deemed resident etc etc too much to elaborate. Right now they will pay en-masse to save time but in your later years you may have to do adjustments

Adam2005 wrote:

Ciambella and Oceanbeach both are partially correct or incorrect both. You may not be physically there but you may be tax resident or deemed resident etc etc too much to elaborate. Right now they will pay en-masse to save time but in your later years you may have to do adjustments

My take was that it was payable to taxpayers since (after following a link) they mention being sure to have filed the 2018, 2019 taxes.  I don't recall anything about non US citizens paying taxes.  For myself, I believe that maintaining a residence in US, paying US taxes will entitle me to the payment regardless of my living in Viet Nam....guess I'll find out before too long..

Thanks for this thread.
Ken

def1412 wrote:
Adam2005 wrote:

My take was that it was payable to taxpayers since (after following a link) they mention being sure to have filed the 2018, 2019 taxes.  I don't recall anything about non US citizens paying taxes.  For myself, I believe that maintaining a residence in US, paying US taxes will entitle me to the payment regardless of my living in Viet Nam....guess I'll find out before too long..

Thanks for this thread.
Ken

Hey, I am UK citizen but have a USD  account with Charles Schwab El Paso Tx & pay US tax on it, do you think I could try to claim the ECONOMIC IMPACT PAYMENTS?? Jeez what a break that would be. :/

goodolboy wrote:
def1412 wrote:
Adam2005 wrote:

Thanks for this thread.
Ken

Hey, I am UK citizen but have a USD  account with Charles Schwab El Paso Tx & pay US tax on it, do you think I could try to claim the ECONOMIC IMPACT PAYMENTS?? Jeez what a break that would be. :/

I have no idea, contact the IRS...I would ask if you filed 2018 nad 2019 returns.  But again, contact the IRS.

goodolboy wrote:
def1412 wrote:
Adam2005 wrote:

Thanks for this thread.
Ken

Regretably, the IRS page specifically says that "non-resident aliens" are not eligible 😭

Adam2005 wrote:

def1412 wrote:

[For myself, I believe that maintaining a residence in US, paying US taxes will entitle me to the payment regardless of my living in Viet Nam....guess I'll find out before too long..

That's not us.  We don't maintain a legal US residence.  Our last residence was in CA but before we left, we submitted a change of address with the DMV and the Post Office with an out-of-the-country new address. It's a formality to allow us not  to file CA tax.  We did the same thing when we moved to Italy. 

We still file and pay Federal tax every year because it's the law. 

It's more than likely that I'm incorrect in thinking that since I don't live in the States, I don't suffer loss of income or any kind of hardship as other US residents, I shouldn't qualify for financial help from the government (not that I would return the money if it comes my way. I may be honest but I'm not a fool.)

I should stop thinking.

Ciambella wrote:
Adam2005 wrote:

def1412 wrote:

[For myself, I believe that maintaining a residence in US, paying US taxes will entitle me to the payment regardless of my living in Viet Nam....guess I'll find out before too long..

That's not us.  We don't maintain a legal US residence.  Our last residence was in CA but before we left, we submitted a change of address with the DMV and the Post Office with an out-of-the-country new address. It's a formality to allow us not  to file CA tax.  We did the same thing when we moved to Italy. 

It's more than likely that I'm incorrect in thinking that since I don't live in the States, I don't suffer loss of income or any kind of hardship as other US residents, I shouldn't qualify for financial help from the government (not that I would return the money if it comes my way. I may be honest but I'm not a fool.)

I should stop thinking.

What address did you use when you filed federal income tax? Apparently if you filed last year, the payment is automatic.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

What address did you use when you filed federal income tax? Apparently if you filed last year, the payment is automatic.

My address here in VT.

Ciambella wrote:

Think of it as getting some of your own money back. A bottom line tax deduction.

Paying everyone is ridiculous to me. It is a nice gesture for those - not all - who lost jobs or lost pay, but there are already programs for that, like unemployment. And it sets a bad precedent. Rent strike groups are forming in several cities because, they see the role of government to provide free income and free rent.

gobot wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Think of it as getting some of your own money back. A bottom line tax deduction.

Paying everyone is ridiculous to me. It is a nice gesture for those - not all - who lost jobs or lost pay, but there are already programs for that, like unemployment. And it sets a bad precedent. Rent strike groups are forming in several cities because, they see the role of government to provide free income and free rent.

I think it's a mistake to think that sending money to people was a prime mover of the legislation.

It's really money for the economy that they know most people will spend immediately

And I think the cost of travel has been impacted by the virus problem, and so I don't mind receiving the money to offset whatever cost there might be for me to return to the US, especially if I need treatment related to covid-19

That's way hypothetical but still...

Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

My address here in VT.

I guess I should have shared this Marketwatch link.

I found the IRS link in the story.

I usually prefer to only share authoritative links directly for the government.

However this article covers some of the questions you've been asking, mostly through the use of logic and knowledge of the system.

Maybe it will be helpful

marketwatch. com/story/receiving-social-security-disability-benefits-living-abroad-how-much-if-any-of-the-1200-checks-americans-in-special-situations-will-get-2020-03-30

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
def1412 wrote:

Thanks for this thread.
Ken

Regretably, the IRS page specifically says that "non-resident aliens" are not eligible 😭

But its April 1st  :D

The IRS was going to make those who don't file a return fill out a shortened form to get the money, but caved under pressure from almost everyone.  They are still requiring non-citizens to have SS numbers for every child or they won't get the money.  I'm not sure what the logic of that is or who made that a requirement.

I expect I will receive the money, but I really don't need it.  The inability to travel is saving me a lot of money.

I will receive the stimulus payment as I file taxes in the US living here in DaNang. I havevacUS business and nonprofit so it is a must!

Ciambella wrote:
Adam2005 wrote:

def1412 wrote:

I should stop thinking.

A happy ending to this story.

Congratulations on getting your payment(s) "Twin Sister"

I'm using my payment to invest in hemp masks and hemp made meditation cushions to export to the US. The masks are needed so that's how I'm using my stimulus. Stimulate Vietnam's economy which has taken a hit. I own a business and nonprofit registered in America so yes I qualify for the stimulus.

I do hope other countries give their citizens support during these trying times.
I'm fortunate to be living in DaNang in this time. Food is abundant. My vegan restaurants are still delivering although for 2 weeks they stopped and I was forced to cook. Our grocery store is stocked and abundant.

I really can't complain. Now on the other hand my 21 year old son in Los Angeles is reporting rationing of food, unemployment rates increasing, higher food prices.

I am now exporting essential hemp goods to America. Wow. Very unexpected.

Ciambella wrote:

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming do not have income taxes.  If you have family members in any of these states they might agree to let you use their address as yours.

You are correct that direct deposit is immaterial, what's important is your tax and residency status.. but to all: please do not brag on this online everywhere, someone may complaint and later you may suffer claw back. Huge debt being piled up nationally

The IRS has announced that recipients of Veterans Benefits (specifically, monthly Compensation payments) will automatically receive the stimulus check for $1,200.00.

However, in order to receive the additional $500.00 payments for dependent children, additional action will be required:

irs. gov/newsroom/veterans-affairs-recipients-will-receive-automatic-economic-impact-payments-step-follows-work-between-treasury-irs-va

US IRS Economic Impact Payment Q&A

Those living abroad may find the last section More About the Economic Impact Payment informative.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economi … ion-center

stevenjb2020 wrote:

US IRS Economic Impact Payment Q&A

Those living abroad may find the last section More About the Economic Impact Payment informative.

irs. gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

Which reads:

"More About the Economic Impact Payment

Q31. As a U.S. citizen living abroad, am I entitled to a Payment?

A31. Yes, U.S. citizens living outside the country are eligible for the Payment. Anyone eligible to file Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR is an eligible person if they have a valid SSN and can't be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer. Nonresident aliens who file or would file Form 1040-NR or Form 1040-NR-EZ are not eligible for the Payment.

-----

(information previously mentioned in this thread)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Which reads:

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please refrain from unnecessary comments.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Which reads:

Thanks so much.  So many of us don't know how to click on a link.

When I copy text to accompany a link I am doing a favor for people who avoid clicking on links for fear of phishing sites, viruses and undesirable internet destinations.

I am also doing a favor to this website.

If you understand the dynamics of an internet website business you would know that one of the greatest challenges is to keep your customers engaged on YOUR site and avoid having them click away to another internet destination.

I challenge you to ask Julien if he prefers links alone or links with quoted text

gobot wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Paying everyone is ridiculous to me.

Just to be clear, not everyone is getting a check.  There are qualifications and the people that actually pay most of the individual income tax are not getting a check because they don't qualify.

Hi, has anyone succeeded in entering their VN address on the Get My Payment tool from the IRS? I have entered my Hanoi address that I used for my 2019 taxes on there in quite a few different ways and keep getting rejected. No idea how to verify the address correctly

vndreamer wrote:

Just to be clear, not everyone is getting a check.  There are qualifications and the people that actually pay most of the individual income tax are not getting a check because they don't qualify.

You have to understand that fairness is not the objective.  The objective is to place money in the hands of people who will spend it immediately to stimulate the economy.  If someone like you just puts it under the pillow, it fails to achieve it's intended purpose. 

Actually, I am a little surprised that payments will be made to persons living outside the country.  That may have been an oversight in a hastily drafted bill, but it is still fortunate for expats.

bonmbar wrote:

Hi, has anyone succeeded in entering their VN address on the Get My Payment tool from the IRS? I have entered my Hanoi address that I used for my 2019 taxes on there in quite a few different ways and keep getting rejected. No idea how to verify the address correctly

The problem may be that the input form is programed to only accept known 5 digit US zip codes.

Deceased people are also receiving the Stimulus payout -

stevenjb2020 wrote:

Deceased people are also receiving the Stimulus payout -

Every year thousands of Social Security checks go out to deceased persons by direct deposit where relatives other than widow(er)s can access them.  Most all of these funds are inevitably clawed back.  I expect these payouts will be clawed back too.   Don't worry  :unsure ; the IRS is watching out that your money is not misspent and they are very good at getting the funds that they think people owe them.  :mad:

THIGV wrote:
bonmbar wrote:

The problem may be that the input form is programed to only accept known 5 digit US zip codes.

In searching the IRS site, (I wanted to get mine direct deposit) I discovered that if you filed for 2019 the method of payment was being determined by your filing info.  So if you get a refund by check, then it is by check.  If by direct deposit, then by direct deposit....and there would be no option to change it. 
So I would think that it might be mailed to you?  However, in writing that, it seems rather unlikely.  Checks should start this Friday.  Starting on the 24th with those in 0-$10kusd bracket and they increase by 10k every 7 days.

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM THE IRS SITE:

Update your bank account or mailing address
If we don't have your direct deposit information from your 2018 or 2019 return – and we haven't yet sent your payment – use the Get My Payment application to let us know where to send your direct deposit.
2019 Filers: We will send your payment using the information you provided with your 2019 tax return. You will not be able to change it.
2018 Filers: If you need to change your account information or mailing address, file your 2019 taxes electronically as soon as possible. That is the only way to let us know your new information.
Note: We are not currently able to process individual paper tax returns due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

def1412 wrote:

In searching the IRS site, (I wanted to get mine direct deposit) I discovered that if you filed for 2019 the method of payment was being determined by your filing info.  So if you get a refund by check, then it is by check.  If by direct deposit, then by direct deposit....and there would be no option to change it. 
So I would think that it might be mailed to you?  However, in writing that, it seems rather unlikely.  Checks should start this Friday.  Starting on the 24th with those in 0-$10kusd bracket and they increase by 10k every 7 days.

It's correct that the payment is sent to the existing info in last tax form.  On IRS record, our residence is in VN, but the bank account whence we sent tax owed and where we received direct deposit of tax refund is in the US, so that's where we received the payments. 

Don't know when the checks were sent, but the fund was available in our account on April 14.  Had a pizza party (Luca delivered) for the whole family the next evening.