Relocation to Malaysia from Germany

Hello

I'm due to arrive in KL in July. So, I would appreciate your help regarding shipping - your recommendations for companies and also other general tips/pitfalls you've faced.

I need a door to door shipping from Frankfurt, Germany to a high-rise condo in Putrajaya, Kuala Lumpur. My possessions are all used items.

Would you be able to help by:
- Providing the names of some firms that you might recommend to provide a service
- How long sea shipping usually takes from Germany to KL (measured door to door)
- Customs clearance costs if involved
- Any other tips you have or things to look out for.

I look forward to your advice as this is the first time I've ever shipped items before. Thanks for any responses.

Re. Freight Forwarding companies to ship your home belongings to KL, it is best to use a German freight forwarding company and opt for door to door service. The freight forwarder will have contacts in Malaysia and coordinate with them so that they will handle all the documentation and customs clearance etc all the way up to delivering to your home. When I moved from the UK to KL I use Pickfords. Just make sure they do not exaggerate the volume of your belongs as this will push the price up. But if a company is paying for the shipping then you won't have to worry. Also, they usually ask you to make a detailed list of each carton with it's value. I had one item arrived damaged but got fully refunded based on the value I had declared.

If you choose a Malaysian freight forwarder then they will simply work with a German freight forwarder for the German side of the work which is the most important.

When you find a freight forwarder then ask them for a detailed breakdown of the costs for door to door shipping.