DAILY LIFE IN VIETNAM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC 2020-2021

zincity wrote:

Boy, I hope you saw the 1959 original with Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Anthony Perkins and Fred Astair, far superior!

Husband saw both versions; they affected him afterwards but he did say the original was better. 

I rarely watch movies as I always surround myself with books.  I've read several times the book from which both movies were adapted, On the Beach by Nevil Shute.  The written images were extremely disturbing -- the  Commander continued to buy gift for his children who were already killed by the effect of the nuclear; the Lt. Commander explained to his wife about the suicidal tablets and when to give it to their baby daughter (they later died together), etc.

The last sentences made me cry every time I reread the book:

"She took the cork out of the bottle. It was ten past ten. She said earnestly, "Dwight, if you're on your way already, wait for me."
Then she put the tablets in her mouth and swallowed them down with a mouthful of brandy, sitting behind the wheel of her big car."

Thinking of getting a cat to help pass the time.

Anyone adopted or bought a cat here
.bit of a sucker for a black cat

Ciambella wrote:
zincity wrote:

Boy, I hope you saw the 1959 original with Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Anthony Perkins and Fred Astair, far superior!

Husband saw both versions; they affected him afterwards but he did say the original was better. 

I rarely watch movies as I always surround myself with books.  I've read several times the book from which both movies were adapted, On the Beach by Nevil Shute.  The written images were extremely disturbing -- the  Commander continued to buy gift for his children who were already killed by the effect of the nuclear; the Lt. Commander explained to his wife about the suicidal tablets and when to give it to their baby daughter (they later died together), etc.

"She took the cork out of the bottle. It was ten past ten. She said earnestly, "Dwight, if you're on your way already, wait for me."
Then she put the tablets in her mouth and swallowed them down with a mouthful of brandy, sitting behind the wheel of her big car."

There was a guy on here posting about adopting cats about a month back

Pool area closed.. BBQ also closed. But allowed to use roof area by pool to sit and enjoy the evening.
Cooked indoors.. headed to the roof.. sit in nice breeze, eat.. watch walker's go around and around.

Just need a few cold beers to make you forge the virus and all sorted

Ciambella wrote:
zincity wrote:

I think if I had read the book I would have been to freaked out to watch the movie. For a film with zero overt violence , I was actually traumatized. I have only watched it the one time many years ago, but It confirmed my feeling that mankind will definitely go out “ with a whimper not a bang”.

zincity wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
zincity wrote:

I think if I had read the book I would have been to freaked out to watch the movie. For a film with zero overt violence , I was actually traumatized. I have only watched it the one time many years ago, but It confirmed my feeling that mankind will definitely go out “ with a whimper not a bang”.

Everyone obediently isolating from others, each retreating back into their personal cave...

My neighbourhood in Binh Tri Dong A is behaving as if this is all over. Everything back to normal. Almost a party atmosphere with everyone coming out and congregating, kids playing, lots of traffic, travelling food merchants.

Still some businesses closed.

Park below my apartment looks like officially open again, many joggers, walkers, badminton club back, 2 x Jianzi (kick the shuttle cock) groups back, old comrades line dancing back but the hot ladies aerobics still missing, will be back soon I think (better get the binoculars out of the box & give them a clean) Parkies now flat out picking up all the trash left behind.Now just cant wait for the week end & all the street karaoke to kick off!
Will venture out for our first walk round the block for at least 2 weeks this morning or evening. Should be able to box up & put past the ping pong game I bought on line soon, its been great for keeping some sort of fitness over these lock down weeks.

Thank you Vietnam for taking good care of us all & keeping us safe.

Hot ladies.. where they go 😭😭

Well just as I thought, the hot ladies aerobic/salsa club are back in the park first thing this morning so all is pretty much back to normal looks like. We have decided to play it safe though & hold back on normality for another week (just in case) at 69 dont want to chance my luck. Will have to start thinking about visa extension soon it runs out 8th May & even if borders were to open & flights to start just dont want to make a flight HCMC to & from BKK or bus run to Moc Bai.
Just wondering out loud here........but whats gonna happen come July when the new tourist visa law (1 month stamp) comes into effect? Corona seems to have killed all new info/up dates on that one from what I have seen. Only to be expected of course.

There is every indication that this situation is going to be with us for a long time. It may well be that we all have to return to our home countries eventually.

I only know the Canadian situation so if you're Canadian you should register online with the embassy. They frequently send out emails specific to VN listing flights home, financial assistance to help you leave and CERB when you get home. Make sure you bring some proof that you were paid at least $5000 in the last year. A contract maybe.

Others should check with their own embassies.

Teachers can teach online from anywhere. Even if the EFL industry starts up soon it may be short lived. AFAIK there is no retirement Visa for VN. Nearby countries may have one.

I just read on the US Embassy email that Vietnam Airlines is offering two direct flights to the US from Hanoi -- San Francisco on 2 May  and Dulles on 10 May.  So if you're an American trying to get back, you don't need a connecting flight.  They will determine the cost based on number of passengers.  I've decided to stay here until my visa expires, but this is a good option for those who want to or must leave.

paulmsn wrote:

I just read on the US Embassy email that Vietnam Airlines is offering two direct flights to the US from Hanoi -- San Francisco on 2 May  and Dulles on 10 May.  So if you're an American trying to get back, you don't need a connecting flight.  They will determine the cost based on number of passengers.  I've decided to stay here until my visa expires, but this is a good option for those who want to or must leave.

Good news on the flight and love the direct but I'm waiting for word that I'll be able to come BACK before I leave.  Not going to abandon the family and then be stuck in the US without a means to get back into VN.  It's already going to suck having to quarantine in the US and then quarantine again when I return.

paulmsn wrote:

Adding to Paul's post:  This is the form to fill out and submit by 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 28 if you are interested in taking either of these flights.

Daily life in Vietnam just changed for me. Saturday took a grab car and taxis were also running. Getting back to normal out there.

Tip: Government requires you to declare your health when you board.
Before you go, install app. On iPhone it is NCOVI. Register and fill out your name, address, passport.
Then every time you enter car, open app, check "Healthy" box, and send.

Anyway that's the rule AFAIK.

gobot wrote:

Daily life in Vietnam just changed for me. Saturday took a grab car and taxis were also running. Getting back to normal out there.

Tip: Government requires you to declare your health when you board.
Before you go, install app. On iPhone it is NCOVI. Register and fill out your name, address, passport.
Then every time you enter car, open app, check "Healthy" box, and send.

Anyway that's the rule AFAIK.

Actually, I believe they are supposed to scan the health certificate and check your temperature. I have taken Grab 3 times since Saturday and no scanning and no temp check. Also, 2 out of the three were not wearing masks. Safety precautions are close to being pre-corona, unfortunately.

In Vung Tau:

- Went to have my hair done last Friday, 4 days ago.  Social distancing was practiced and everyone in the salon wore a mask except the owner/master stylist who worked on my hair.  I asked whether I should pull my mask up.  He said, "No need. Virus is over."  My reply, "You're not originally from Saigon by any chance, do you?"

- This irks me a great deal:  Before the virus, 100% of drivers, riders, and pedestrians in Saigon wore masks.  During the virus, 99% of them wore masks.  But not when they came to Vung Tau, especially in the last 3 weeks.  Not one of them had a mask anywhere near his/her person.  Yes, VT doesn't have a case yet because we're very careful, not because we're exempt from this alien invader.  What that means is you Saigoneers shouldn't come here without protections.  It's fine if you don't want to protect yourself, but there's no reason you should harm us in your irresponsible way. 

- I'm not stepping out of the gate of our building during this 4-day holiday when Saigoneers will be here by the tens of thousands even though all the beaches and most hotels are still closed.  But just in case I must be outside, I'm going to imitate the Vietnamese women (pre-Covid) and wear a hoodie, mask, gloves, and long pants (I think I still have a couple pairs of wool trousers from our previous life in a much colder climate).  Then when I get back in, it's the shower I'll go and in the washing machine all the clothing will be thrown. 

Living in Vung Tau, I really dislike big holidays.  During this Corona climate, I hate big holidays with a passion.

Ciambella wrote:

In Vung Tau:
Living in Vung Tau, I really dislike big holidays.  During this Corona climate, I hate big holidays with a passion.

Vung Tau was paradise during the height of the social distancing directive. Now the 'rules' have been relaxed, the influx of Saigonistas on coming long weekend will make it a madhouse.

My neighbours in HCMC show know sign that they understand the current situation.

Weekend parties with relatives from out of town, karaoke. No masks.

Can anything be worse than a bunch of people from different neighbourhoods sharing a karaoke mike? And then a different group on the same mike the next day?

Most of my neighbours, like me stay inside with the doors locked all the time anyway. We only go out when we need to and we always wear masks.

Back to school Mekong Delta Tien Giang.

https://i.postimg.cc/k2w9Gcs8/IMG-20200508-191447.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/87TNT3RN/IMG-20200508-191458.jpg

Q12 HCMC.........Back to school back to normality??? Nice to see the black factory smoke in the distance, my lungs have had enough of all that fresh air!

https://i.postimg.cc/rz4H2CBk/20200506-092541.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/yDj5r1w3/20200506-092719.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/MXfCK8jg/20200511-100057.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/bSnW6Qhq/20200511-100144.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/6ysD81rq/20200511-103133.jpg

Nice to see the black factory smoke in the distance, my lungs have had enough of all that fresh air!

https://i.postimg.cc/6ysD81rq/20200511-103133.jpg

broke out at last & did a run, 5 days, 3 police stops & a strange encounter with a high security prison in the middle of no where thanks to Google & made it back in one piece.

https://i.postimg.cc/ctry8bb8/TRIP-1.png

https://i.postimg.cc/qgRdYNvM/TRIP-2.png

goodolboy wrote:

broke out at last & did a run, 5 days, 3 police stops & a strange encounter with a high security prison in the middle of no where thanks to Google & made it back in one piece.

Nice pics and looks like a great trip!  Police stops all uneventfull?  Does it help or hurt to have a VN with you?  I suspect the further from HCMC the less chance the police will speak English so easier to play dumb on coffee money if you are alone vs. with a Vietnamese?

SteinNebraska wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Nice pics and looks like a great trip!  Police stops all uneventfull?  Does it help or hurt to have a VN with you?  I suspect the further from HCMC the less chance the police will speak English so easier to play dumb on coffee money if you are alone vs. with a Vietnamese?

First stop was speeding trap just outside Gia Nghia & cost 500, the police were really nice to be honest. Wanted 800 but took pity on us as heading on holidays. The girl coming behind was not so lucky & I think got her bike confiscated, not 100% sure though as just wanted to get off.
Second pull over was a docs check about 50km further on & when he saw I was a foreigner waved me on.
Third was on QL55 Bao Loc to La Gi road & had to show the lot, Blue Card, PP, Driving licence & bike Insurance. Again the cop was really nice guy, Lucky I saw on the forum that there was a purge on & had just got the bike insured before we headed off, so had all docs in order.

Does it help or hurt to have a VN with you?  I suspect the further from HCMC the less chance the police will speak English so easier to play dumb on coffee money if you are alone vs. with a Vietnamese
Exactly right, I think better not to have a Vietnamese, dumb old foreigner just a load of hassle for them but with GF there all sorts of questions, are we married, how long you know him etc etc
My GF is a very non confrontational person & for her dealing with the cops is not easy.

The best part of all was the prison, but thats a whole different story :cool: OFFS

goodolboy wrote:

The best part of all was the prison, but thats a whole different story :cool: OFFS

Yeah, waiting for that story!

Travel ban is over July

JohnfromCanaf01 wrote:

Travel ban is over July

Believe it when you see it.  :cool:

Also in the news.... fresh outbreak in Beijing.
Maybe we will be heading for wave 2 if the reports of the viris mutating are correct

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Maybe we will be heading for wave 2 if the reports of the viris mutating are correct

It doesn't have to mutate to have a second wave.  The virus seems to be becoming endemic and exists at low levels of the population in most, but of course not all, countries.  A change in domestic or travel policies can result in a new surge of cases.

I called Vietnam embassy they said they will start issuing visa on July 2 for travel after July 16

Lock down over & great to eat out traditional food with friends for a change.

https://i.postimg.cc/XBdFPJ2R/fanny.jpg

JohnfromCanaf01 wrote:

I called Vietnam embassy they said they will start issuing visa on July 2 for travel after July 16

Really??
Borders are closed until further notice, so a visa without any flight is not really useful.

Would be intsresting to know how this will work, if th borders open there is still the need to quaranite for 14 days.

THIGV wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

It doesn't have to mutate to have a second wave.  The virus seems to be becoming endemic and exists at low levels of the population in most, but of course not all, countries.  A change in domestic or travel policies can result in a new surge of cases.

Agreed, the new cases and outbreak in Beijing is worrying considering it all started in  Wuhan.

If the reports that it has or is expected to mutate are true, then any vaccine is going to be too late. BBC AND BOJO currently spouting the benefits of low dose steroids

time for a kip, hope it dont rain

https://i.postimg.cc/0zvLFt64/bed-time.png

Very sad to see what's happening to a good friend in Hanoi:

Very stable businessman and family man, dedicated to his wife, his two children, his two hotels and his many employees, most of whom are extended family from his hometown, the ancient city of Đường Lâm, Sơn Tây, Hà Nội.

He voluntarily promotes the agricultural products of his hometown to the Hà Nội community.

When I first arrived in Hà Nội in 2018, he invited me to his company's anniversary party as well as having me be an overnight guest on Việt Nam National Day out at his mother's home in the country.

He's always inviting me to eat a complimentary lunch with him and his staff.

One time I told him I was going to a wedding in Hải Phòng, and he volunteered to drive me from Hà Nội and back again, without ever asking me for gas money.

Now he is up against a wall due to severely decreased bookings during the pandemic.

He's put his car, his house in Hà Nội and one of his hotels up for sale.

He didn't say anything to me but I saw his posts on Facebook and Zalo.

He's already had to furlough many employees.

He's a really hard worker and (in my mind) a careful businessman who got blindsided by the virus crisis just as his 2nd hotel was successfully launched.

Maybe he will be able to keep the 1st hotel, but he's under a ton of pressure there.

It's just one story here, and certainly not the saddest, compared to people who are totally out on the street.

At least he and his wife and children have an Apartment, for now.

But when you come to know a family so
personally here, it's very sad to see their lives take such an abrupt downward turn when they were seemingly doing everything right.

Its a sunny morning, lets go for a run.

https://i.postimg.cc/3Wv0yydT/20200711-070914.jpg

Great start to the morning, 3 months bonus pay out today at AEON I am so happy!! :top::cool:

Got a question & observation to ask if others have the same experience...........why do the other Vietnamese shoppers always want to look in your basket to see what you have bought, like not a sly look to see,  but like let me see what the foreigner has bought! or is it just my imagination?

https://i.postimg.cc/68ZJp8BH/AEON.jpg

goodolboy wrote:

Great start to the morning, 3 months bonus pay out today at AEON I am so happy!! :top::cool:

Got a question & observation to ask if others have the same experience...........why do the other Vietnamese shoppers always want to look in your basket to see what you have bought, like not a sly look to see,  but like let me see what the foreigner has bought! or is it just my imagination?

https://i.postimg.cc/68ZJp8BH/AEON.jpg

Very common, they are interested to see what anh tay is buying.