Grandmother born in UK - settlement possible?

Hi everyone,

this is my first post, I'm happy to be here!

I'm Manny, (35) and originally from Vienna, Austria. I am married to my husband Rob (36), he is from New Zealand. We lived in NZ for five years and have been living in Austria now for about 8 years. We have two boys, aged 3 and 6, and are planning on relocating to the UK this year or next year at the latest.

I understand things are a still a bit up in the air with the whole Brexit-thing. My husband's grandmother was born in the UK, near Nottingham. Can anyone please advise as to if it is possible for us to live and work in the UK because of that? If so, does that only apply to him (as it is his grandmother) or for me and the boys aswell?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

In general, nationality is decided by the nationality of your parents on the date of your birth, so it generally depends on the actual nationality of your husband's parents when he was born and if UK nationals, what they did to notify the UK authorities of his birth.  It could well be that they registered his birth and there is a UK birth certificate laying around somewhere.

You as an EU national have the right to live and work in the UK until the end of 2020, when the EU transitional period ends (note - if the agreement is signed before that, then the transitional period also ends, the sooner you get here the better).

With regards to your husband - there is a thing called a UK Ancestry visa; the details of how to apply can be found on the UK Government website, this link will take you straight there.

So, my advice is first to check if your husband is entitled to a UK passport, (so, his parents notified/registered his birth and he has a UK birth certificate); if so, apply for his passport now.  If not, then pursue a UK ancestry visa for him.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,
thanks so much for your helpful reply! I will have a look at the link you provided straight away. My husband was born in NZ and so were his mother and father. As far as I know it was "only" the grandmother who was born in the UK. So I highly doubt his birth was registered in the UK, but I will message his parents today and ask them.

My husband's cousin (also from NZ) "used" his grandmother's UK roots to stay in the UK for a couple of years or so if I remember correctly.

A super quick move isn't that easy for us. We own a house here in Austria, just outside Vienna, that we would rent out when we relocate. Also, we have two small kids, the older one would start school in September. So we would not only have to find a place to live and a job in the UK but also secure a spot in a school and kindy (or wherever our younger one would go to in the UK). If we are lucky and the situation with Corona has died down in summer, we want to spend a couple of weeks and go on a bit of a recce.

Thanks for your help so far!