Curfew in Puerto Rico

Now that we have a Curfew and general shutdown,  can someone explain the details? What stores remain open? When is it o.k. to leave the house? Do they really hand out %5000 fines? Are banks open? What if your car breaks down?  Is there a website that explains it all?

See my post from today.  The police are enforcing the curfew, writing tickets $5000 fine & possible 6 months in jail.

Banks, grocery stores, gas stations, medical services open, most every thing else closed.

This will have a very negative impact on small business.

Well, look on the bright side -  we can still get rum at the grocery stores 😎

It is ok to leave the house from 5am to 9pm provided you are going to one of the places that were mentioned above and return back home again. They want you home 24/7 otherwise.

After 9 pm you must be home unless it is an emergency and you are headed to a hospital. You will be stopped if the police see you and will be cited, the judge will select a fine up to 5000 or 6 months in jail or both.
Do not go to a park or beach or river even during the day.

Stores like Walmart are only selling basic need items all other items are not for sale.
Restaurants are only open for take out or delivery, you must call ahead, order then go pick it up and take it home, you must not stop to eat it or risk being cited, they want you home, this is serious, they are not playing games.

We have a guest from the states, scheduled to fly back this weekend at 2AM.   

I have been told to have a copy of the ticket in the car. If stoped by police, (during curfew hours) show the copy of the ticket to the police, they should accept it and let you go without a ticket.

Not 100% sure this is true, but it is the plan at this point in time. 🧐

Sitka wrote:

We have a guest from the states, scheduled to fly back this weekend at 2AM.   

I have been told to have a copy of the ticket in the car. If stoped by police, (during curfew hours) show the copy of the ticket to the police, they should accept it and let you go without a ticket.

Not 100% sure this is true, but it is the plan at this point in time. 🧐

Check with police department, it could be a very expensive ticket.

My son came to visit me and to go shopping with me today. On the way to my house he was stopped by the police and he had to tell them that he was bringing his aging father groceries, lucky he had 2 bags with can good in the trunk

Guess I better put some caned goods in my car as insurance. 😁.   

Seriously, everyone we know is practicing social distancing - parties, dinner groups, gathering of any type is canceled.   Our beach is deserted, no surfers in spite of perfect conditions.

We will see if these measures are effective. Keep the faith and pass the Don Q.

We have canceled our return flight that was scheduled for 4-11-2020.
Not going to any airports for a while. So glad we brought the cats with us.

I understand that the governor may extend the curfew for two additional weeks.  ( I'm in favor). And was proposing to test everyone on the island.   

Life under lockdown is kinda boring, gonna read my copy of Don Quixote to pass the time. 😎

Testing everyone would be silly, expensive and unnecessary.  Also very unlikely, since we have struggled to get enough tests even for those who should be tested. I have seen no numbers as to how many people have been tested.  An extension for the whole island also makes little sense since almost all of the current 52 cases (March 25th) are in San Juan area or Mayaguez. I hope they extend it there and reduce the limits elsewhere.

Sitka wrote:

Life under lockdown is kinda boring, gonna read my copy of Don Quixote to pass the time. 😎

Ah, if only Sancho Panza were governor of Puerto Rico!

Here is what is happening:
Update 3/27
We have 79 confirmed cases, 3 deaths. New cases in metro area, Mayagüez, Bayamón and Caguas. I dont have a map yet but if I find it I will post it. Remember starting 3/31 no traveling at all on Sundays. This Sunday is fine.

Starting 3/31 Vehicles with license plates that have an even number will be able to go out during the day Mondays, Wednesday's, and Fridays, yes zero is even.
Odd number ones will be able to drive Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
Nobody out on Sundays!!!!!

By Monday we will know the rules for cars whose plate does not end in a number.

Basically all businesses are closed with the exception of gas stations, pharmacies, supermarkets and restaurants with to go food, all others are closed also. Those allowed to operate can open between the hours of 5am and 6pm to allow workers to get home before 7 pm lock down.

Sunday's nobody out of the house at all.

Fines of $5,000 dollars or 6 months of jail or combination action of both.

No walking the dog, no parks, no beach, no nothing, when allowed you get your necessities and then go home and stay home or you risk the fines and or jail time.

People arriving to the island are being quarantined for 2 weeks to their home or hotel at your expense.

PR is not playing games current lock down runs until 4/21 and there is the possibility of further extension. If you do not have a valid reason to be out of the house stay home 24 hours a day, police may stop you even walking during the day and question you, if they don't like your answers you WILL BE PROCECUTED.

Testing: Testing is reserved for those with the symptoms and with a doctor order.

Department of health is testing, VA is testing the VA, and some private labs are also doing testing.

PR is using the swab test up the nose and also the quick test. PR has ordered 200,000 of the quick tests, these use a drop of blood and tell you if your body has the antivirus reaction, which means that either you have it or had it in the past. To determine if you have an active case you need the swap test.

Everyone has been told to assume they are infected and stay home for a minimum of two week or the end of the lockdown whichever last longer.

I am (generally) in agreement with the lockdown approach.  Only essential services are open.   But I have a concern, if your car breaks down and needs a part or repair, what do you do?   Without transportation, you can't go the grocery store, pharmacy, etc.  that could be a serious problem.  Or if you need a repair part for your plumbing in the house, you may be forced to go without water?? 

Not sure what the solution is in that instance?  Any suggestions? 😎

Today we have 100 confirmed cases and still 3 death. Almost all new cases are in San Juan metro. Testing has picked up and we now have 1600 people tested. For comparison: Germany is testing 100,000 people - a day. Good news is that the rate of increase of new cases seems to decline.  Also, I heard the extension of curfew and restrictions is until April 12th, but if we have less than 600 cases by April 3rd. Some restrictions might be lifted.
We can be hopeful.

Sitka wrote:

I am (generally) in agreement with the lockdown approach.  Only essential services are open.   But I have a concern, if your car breaks down and needs a part or repair, what do you do?   Without transportation, you can't go the grocery store, pharmacy, etc.  that could be a serious problem.  Or if you need a repair part for your plumbing in the house, you may be forced to go without water?? 

Not sure what the solution is in that instance?  Any suggestions? 😎

Check with gas stations, some may still do repairs, I also head that PepBoys and maybe others are handling appointments.

I drove past pep boys & advanced auto parts today on the way to the grocery store, both were closed.   

While on lockdown, with time on my hands, started a project to clean and repaint the patio area, but need some painting supplies.  Guess I'll have to wait until the hardware stores reopen.

I must be coming down with cabin fever 😰.

How many people can be in one car? Let's say you go shopping and to the post office?