Medical Insurance

Hello All, I'm sure health insurance has been talked a lot about on her and I am sorry for not having the most recent information.  But can someone provide me some insight based on your recent experience in SE Asia as it relates to health insurance for someone who would like to travel around a bit between Thailand, Vietnam, and Philippines to see where I would like to live for a couple of years at a minimum. 

I have plans to be in each one of those countries soon stay 30 days under a tourist Visa, so would it be better to get travel health insurance at least for now (if possible) and then get longer tern health insurance when I decide where I plan to live?

Sorry for the long description but wanted you to understand my circumstances.

Thank you in advance.

Bobby

NomadBob123 wrote:

Hello All, I'm sure health insurance has been talked a lot about on her and I am sorry for not having the most recent information.  But can someone provide me some insight based on your recent experience in SE Asia as it relates to health insurance for someone who would like to travel around a bit between Thailand, Vietnam, and Philippines to see where I would like to live for a couple of years at a minimum. 

I have plans to be in each one of those countries soon stay 30 days under a tourist Visa, so would it be better to get travel health insurance at least for now (if possible) and then get longer tern health insurance when I decide where I plan to live?

Sorry for the long description but wanted you to understand my circumstances.

Thank you in advance.

Bobby

Hi Bobby.

As I am sure you know there is such a wide range of health insurance packages available at all different price levels including 'free' travel insurance etc , so it isn't really possible to advise you other than to say that when choosing it is more about understanding what you are NOT covered for and that is rarely explained except in the legal jargon hidden away in a myriad of clauses. It is easy to think you are covered for whatever then when making a claim find out you are not covered at all due to some sub-clause !

Yep, you are right on mark.  I have looked at several and OMG, the details are out of this world, and I am a banker that puts multi-million dollar deals together all the time...lot of detail these days with Regs.  And this insurance is even beyond that 10 fold.  Thanks again for the good advice.

Take care.

Bobby

Also look to see if resulting illness from a pandemic is even covered.  It very well might not be.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Also look to see if resulting illness from a pandemic is even covered.  It very well might not be.

I doubt many insurers would cover it. My medical cover here in VN doesnt, and every year there seems to be more and more exclusions.

colinoscapee wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

I doubt many insurers would cover it. My medical cover here in VN doesnt, and every year there seems to be more and more exclusions.

Buried deep within my insurance clauses it says . . .
" This insurance will be invalidated if a policyholder put themselves at unnecessary risk "
I guess that can be applied to catching the virus by not self isolating ?

Indices wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

" This insurance will be invalidated if a policyholder put themselves at unnecessary risk "

Sent this e mail to my insurer regarding Corona cover

Good morning, this is purely a hypothetical question, but can you clarify if my Health Insurance with Regency  covers me for treatment if I was to be infected with Coronavirus COVID -19?

This was their reply

Dear Mr C*****,

Thanks for your email. Covid-19, or corona virus as it's known, is an acquired virus like many others. It is not a specific policy exclusion and I'm really pleased to reassure you that just because it exists it does not invalidate your cover.

goodolboy wrote:
Indices wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Good morning, this is purely a hypothetical question, but can you clarify if my Health Insurance with Regency  covers me for treatment if I was to be infected with Coronavirus COVID -19?

This was their reply

Dear Mr C*****,

Thanks for your email. Covid-19, or corona virus as it's known, is an acquired virus like many others. It is not a specific policy exclusion and I'm really pleased to reassure you that just because it exists it does not invalidate your cover.

I trust insurers as much as I would trust Hillary Clinton.

I put a claim in 10 years ago for damage done by a tenant. I presumed "claim" meant me making a claim for the six lots of damage done. How wrong was I. In the fine print,buried so only an archaeologist could find it were these words..." each claim of damage will be referred to as a separate claim, not as one claim".

Something that should have been 250 aud excess ending up being 1500 aud, complete grubs.

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Indices wrote:

This was their reply

Dear Mr C*****,

I trust insurers as much as I would trust Hillary Clinton.

I put a claim in 10 years ago for damage done by a tenant. I presumed "claim" meant me making a claim for the six lots of damage done. How wrong was I. In the fine print,buried so only an archaeologist could find it were these words..." each claim of damage will be referred to as a separate claim, not as one claim".

Something that should have been 250 aud excess ending up being 1500 aud, complete grubs.

Well in the 3 years been with them have put in 2 claims & both paid out within 3 days,
Anyways Insurance or no insurance if I get the dreaded virus I am going private. No fn way I am ending up in Cho Ray, Jesus went to visit 2 friends there last year (MB accident, no insurance) & I will jump off the 15th floor rather than end up laid out on the lobby floor there! :o