Jobs for Mandarin Speakers in Malta

Hi everyone,

New user here. I'm from the UK (also in the process of applying for Irish citizenship through ancestry, so visa issues shouldn't be a problem.) My wife is a Chinese citizen and we're considering relocating to Malta later in the year. We're currently in the UK but her visa is just for a half-year visit.

As I understand it, my wife will have no problem getting a work permit for Malta if we can provide a marriage certificate.

I will be doing online freelance work and will register as a small business owner in Malta, but my wife wants a regular job in a company.

There seems to not be a great deal of information out there about job opportunities.

A bit about her:

She speaks Mandarin natively and English at a very high level.

Has a degree and masters in English (literature and linguistics).

Worked for about 18 months in China as a trainer at a large German insurance company.
She used English quite a lot at work for communication with international staff, and used Chinese for training the insurance agents.

Also Before that, she completed an internship at a Danish pharma company in China.

She is currently working on completing her Microsoft Office certification, which we hope will open up doors for administrative work.

Based on the above (and thanks for making it this far!), would she be able to find work in Malta?

If so, what kind of work would she be able to apply for?

What would the salary be like for such work, relative to the UK or other countries?

Are there any locations within Malta that are better in terms of opportunities?

I understand that Malta has some trade links with China but I don't know how well this translates into career opportunities.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hello Josephius234 and welcome to expat.com

I may have bits of answers for you :)

first, our guide can provide answers to your day-to-day questions like Setting up a Business in Malta.

I am aware that your wife is fluent in both Mandarin and English and we have an article about teaching English in Malta, maybe some will be interested by learning Mandarin.

Otherwise, there are plenty of helpful answer in our Living to Malta guide,  don't hesitate to have a look :)

Wishing you a very nice day.

Regards.

Loïc

With regards to salary, normally lower here then the UK and many other countries.

Thanks, I'll have a look through that information.

Is the cost of living lower as well as the salary? Do people generally live comfortably off what they make? Thanks

Josephius234 wrote:

Is the cost of living lower as well as the salary? Do people generally live comfortably off what they make? Thanks

on the low end it's tough, otoh the high end isn't that high as in other countries, and when you are earning on the high end it can be a really comfortable place to live.

volcane wrote:
Josephius234 wrote:

on the low end it's tough, otoh the high end isn't that high as in other countries, and when you are earning on the high end it can be a really comfortable place to live.

That makes sense. Thanks for the insight. So I'd guess that the best bet is to find a job that doesn't involve competing directly with locals or is otherwise difficult to fill. Do you know of many jobs that involve dealing with trade with China, for example? She might have an edge in that kind of area.

Thanks

Most of the Chinese in Malta have purchased a Maltese Passport or Visa to enable them to live work in Malta access the EU  so there are lots of Chinese speakers all chasing the few and limited jobs open to them very difficult to have an edge on many of them or anyone .

Wages are low cost of living is on Par or even higher in some case than in the UK Accommodation is expensive mainly of which are flats.

Malta is very overcrowded,

Roads are overcrowded

Going by bus is almost impossible

Green areas and parks are almost none existent.

Beaches can be standing room only.

Best advise would be that you spend 2 ,4 weeks  in Malta first  before  any major decisions

Josephius234 wrote:
volcane wrote:
Josephius234 wrote:

That makes sense. Thanks for the insight. So I'd guess that the best bet is to find a job that doesn't involve competing directly with locals or is otherwise difficult to fill. Do you know of many jobs that involve dealing with trade with China, for example? She might have an edge in that kind of area.

Thanks

As mentioned on other topics at the moment there's no point in even considering moving here in the near future as everything is closed, when things do get back to normal it's advisable to come here for a holiday as someone else has advised.