Should my employer apply EP for me before I graduate?

Hi dear friends,

I am currently a final-year undergraduate in a Singapore university, but I have not graduated yet. Should my employer apply EP for me right now?

Specifically, I have a few doubts:

- Would this application be approved in the first place, since I do not have the degree certificate yet?
- Officially, I am still a full-time student. Will my student pass be cancelled automatically? I need to use the student pass to complete my last semester, right?

I understand that I should not hold two visas concurrently. But can I hold a student pass and the IPA for EP concurrently (i.e., I will only apply for EP issuance after I graduated, since IPA has 6-month validity)?

Very basic question, can you join your job if your EP approved? If I understand correctly, you must have to complete your study before you could join any company here as you have an obligation where you have to follow, read your student visa conditions.

Hi surya2k,

Thanks for your reply. The key concern here is:

Do I have to start work immediately after I get the EP IPA letter? I understand the IPA letter has a validity of 6 months. I will be graduating in 1 - 2 months time. So I will definitely be able to start working within 6 months.

MoM does check all your history before considering your case. You have obligation to fulfill your study before you could be allowed to work here.

If you don't follow the student pass conditions, you need to check what would happen. What's the purpose of applying work pass (EP - required a degree (if you are a Malaysian then no need) or S pass - no degree required)   now where you are not able to work for next 3months or 6months? Do you think MoM will entertain such applications!

Without the dehgeree certificate (or a written statement by the university, that you WILL get the certificate), you are counted as not having a degree - and thus an EP application will be rejected, because it requires a degree.