U.S. Embassy Corona Virus Update

Web page on the site of the U.S. Embassy Hanoi:

Official Information for U.S. Citizens Regarding Corona Virus Prevention in Vietnam

vn. usembassy. gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

Same link as in the OP.

Read an updated letter and instructions following The Global Level 4 Health Advisory issuance.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

vn. usembassy. gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

Same link as in the OP.

Read an updated letter and instructions following The Global Level 4 Health Advisory issuance.

Thanks for info.

Looks like my waffling on still going home for a while is no longer waffling  I was still holding out hope for a visit.  14 days self quarantine there, then 14 days mandatory quarantine here with this gem:

Quarantine sites in Vietnam may be uncomfortable and may have only rudimentary facilities. 

I am likely safer here anyway due to the tight constraint of inbound people.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Web page on the site of the U.S. Embassy Hanoi:

Official Information for U.S. Citizens Regarding Corona Virus Prevention in Vietnam

My daily email update from the Embassy contained the following info (click on the quoted link above to read very similar information):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily Health and Travel Alert – U.S. Embassy Hanoi and U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (April 6, 2020)

This is a daily update from the U.S. Embassy Hanoi and U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City to assist U.S. citizens in remaining informed during the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Vietnam.

Daily COVID-19 Numbers:

As of April 6, Vietnam has reported 241 confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders since the virus first became known. 

To date, 91 people have recovered and have been released from the hospital.

Important Update for U.S. Citizens:

As part of national social distancing efforts, Vietnamese authorities in Hai Phong, Da Nang, and Hanoi are imposing additional movement restrictions on Vietnamese nationals and foreigners. 

Hai Phong and Da Nang have announced that any travelers arriving from Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City will be required to spend 14 days in centralized quarantine. 

Hanoi has requested that police check people on the streets of Hanoi and “impose penalties for all cases of unexplained travel” or for being outside for “unjustified reasons” until April 15.

U.S. citizens are reminded that Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc imposed a nationwide social distancing order until April 15, asking that residents and visitors only go out to buy food and medicine, seek medical attention, or work at locations identified as essential. 

The U.S. Mission in Vietnam advises U.S. citizens to follow guidelines imposed by Vietnamese authorities and stay home as much as possible.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

My daily email update from the Embassy contained the following info (click on the quoted link above to read very similar information):

Where can one sign up for the newsletter you are receiving?  I am enrolled in S.T.E.P. but I am not seeing any newsletters.

THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Where can one sign up for the newsletter you are receiving?  I am enrolled in S.T.E.P. but I am not seeing any newsletters.

This is what I'm seeing as the current place to subscribe to specific country newsletters:

(I'm searching via android device)

Main enrollment for STEP here:

step. state. gov/STEPMobile/Default.aspx

On that page, there is also a link for email subscriptions which will take you to this page:

step. state. gov/STEPMobile/EmailSubscriptions/Index

It appears that you just start typing in the name of the country that you want after you've entered your name and email address.

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll look for other ways. I don't exactly recall what I did in order to get the newsletters.

Thanks.  I must have somehow missed that second link when I signed up for STEP.  After I typed in my name and email address, there was an "add" button which brought up a drop down list of countries.  Imagine if you took them all.  There wouldn't be enough hours in a day to read them all.  ;)

BTW is anyone keeping tabs on the situation in Cambodia and Laos?  As excellent as the Vietnamese response may be, if these countries do nothing then the virus will probably come back in from there.

THIGV wrote:

Thanks.  I must have somehow missed that second link when I signed up for STEP.  After I typed in my name and email address, there was an "add" button which brought up a drop down list of countries.  Imagine if you took them all.  There wouldn't be enough hours in a day to read them all.  ;)

🙂👍

I'm still trying to stop email updates about Mexico, which was previously on my list of possible places for relocation.

It seems there are two different features which generate emails, and I've successfully unsubscribed from one feature but not the other.

THIGV wrote:

After I typed in my name and email address, there was an "add" button which brought up a drop down list of countries.  Imagine if you took them all.  There wouldn't be enough hours in a day to read them all.  ;)

That's the mistake I somehow made and can't seem to fix.  I thought I only "follow" the States Dept site on FB, as with email.  I was thinking by doing that, I would receive duplication of the same news and  it's OK because I don't always check everything I should every day, duplication can be helpful.  What I receive daily on FB is 20 or so notifications for expats in all the countries in trouble -- every place but the US and VN (I guess because I'm not an expat in the US and VN is not in trouble).  There are countries I would never spare a thought to, their names have never been in my travel vocabulary, now all of a sudden I know when a US flight would be available to them and where they should gather to be picked up.

Thank goodness my email notifications are only pertained to expats in VN.

THIGV wrote:

BTW is anyone keeping tabs on the situation in Cambodia and Laos?  As excellent as the Vietnamese response may be, if these countries do nothing then the virus will probably come back in from there.

Cambodia has been irresponsible from day one and continues to do so.  The head of that country is so enamoured with China that he refused permission for Cambodian in China to repatriate, allowed 3000 Chinese from Wuhan in after the outbreak, arrested people who publicly expressed concern about Covid, etc.  The list goes on.  The only good thing he has done was the suspension for 30 days flight from the US, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain. 

Laos has only 11 cases and the country has been under lockdown since March 30.

Sometime last week (I don't remember the exact date), VN sent virus-assistance packages to both countries -- medical equipments, masks, test kits, protective clothing, etc.